BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
m31984
New Member
 
Drives: aw e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: atlanta

Posts: 23
iTrader: (1)

Differential plugs torque specs

Anyone know the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on the differential?
m31984 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31984 View Post
Anyone know the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on the differential?
I always tighten them by hand, but remember seeing those specs somewhere on this board. Did you try searching for that? Anyway, factory torque values are always too high IMO. Besides, those plugs have built-in gaskets, so torquing them more doesn't make a difference. You'll need a 14mm allen socket, by the way.

And remember to always loosen up the fill plug first so you don't disable your car in case you can't remove it (and you already drained the fluid). Good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
m31984
New Member
 
Drives: aw e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: atlanta

Posts: 23
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I always tighten them by hand, but remember seeing those specs somewhere on this board. Did you try searching for that? Anyway, factory torque values are always too high IMO. Besides, those plugs have built-in gaskets, so torquing them more doesn't make a difference. You'll need a 14mm allen socket, by the way.

And remember to always loosen up the fill plug first so you don't disable your car in case you can't remove it (and you already drained the fluid). Good luck.
I saw your thread where you changed your tranny/diff fluid with alternate fluids. I could not find the torque specs in yours or any other thread. I saw on another forum the specs for an e46 m3 diff rated at 60nm for rubber gaskets and 65nm for crush washers. I know we have the green built in rubber gaskets so I thought about going with 60nm but wanted to check here to see if it was different for our cars. I went out and got the 14mm socket recently so I believe ilve got everything I need for it.

Side note: Elp, you give really thorough and good advice. Thanks for all you contribute to this forum.
m31984 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31984 View Post
I saw on another forum the specs for an e46 m3 diff rated at 60nm for rubber gaskets and 65nm for crush washers
Damn, that's super high for a drain plug IMO. Now I remember having to lift the darn car to break the plugs loose, so those torque numbers might be right. If you're not familiar hand-torquing drain bolts (I've been doing it for decades, and never an issue), I suggest you use the factory torque specs. I also tried the search function to help you out, but it SUCKS on this site; couldn't find anything. You might want to specifically ask for that on a new thread, with the added benefit future members can easily find it ('Need torque value for differential fill and drain bolts', or something like that). Good luck buddy.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST