BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #89
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 922
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
...I don't want a race suspension. I just want a good look and a good ride on 20's and Ideally, I don't want to compromise performance...
You sound like a prime candidate for the RD Sport springs and dampers, or maybe a KW V3. For a hard-core suspension system, the KW CS is excellent, but 514# front springs will definitely remind you of every painted line you drive over.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #90
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,601
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You sound like a prime candidate for the RD Sport springs and dampers, or maybe a KW V3. For a hard-core suspension system, the KW CS is excellent, but 514# front springs will definitely remind you of every painted line you drive over.
I have heard of mixed reviews regarding the RD Sport springs and shocks.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #91
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 922
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I have heard of mixed reviews regarding the RD Sport springs and shocks.
Then I heartily un-recommend them. I thought it was the lowering kit that lowered the most and screwed up the handling the least. Too bad it's not.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #92
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Then I heartily un-recommend them. I thought it was the lowering kit that lowered the most and screwed up the handling the least. Too bad it's not.
Springs-only wise, I think it is....I ran them for a time, and thought they were much better than the H&R at the very least. I mated them up with the OEM EDC shocks, not the Bilsteins though.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #93
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,601
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Then I heartily un-recommend them. I thought it was the lowering kit that lowered the most and screwed up the handling the least. Too bad it's not.
LOL.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #94
e60cs5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 230
iTrader: (1)

Installed the GC kit today. I went with the slightly softer version 600 # springs in the rear and 375 in the front. (instead of 440) Dropped the front 1" to preserve the ride and performance and the rear maybe 3/4" The Ride is awesome. The performance is better than OEM. Overall, I'm really happy with the kit. Really glad I didn't just do springs.

The instructions were not very good... but I really like the kit
e60cs5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #95
mact3333
Captain
 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW

Posts: 755
iTrader: (1)

To the guys who have had this kit for awhile:

Are you still happy?

Anything you dislike?

Anything you would do during install or ask the installer to do?....did you have to shave you GC modified bump stops at all???

I should be getting my GC kit today or tomorrow.

I went with 6 inch springs with 400lb front and 650lb rear....also got street camber kit.

Looking to drop between 3/4-1 inch front and between 1/2-3/4 inch in rear.

Want slightly stiffer than stock but lowered...also want my EDC to function but this sounds like it might not work at all anymore.
mact3333 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #96
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
To the guys who have had this kit for awhile:

Are you still happy?

Anything you dislike?

Anything you would do during install or ask the installer to do?....did you have to shave you GC modified bump stops at all???

I should be getting my GC kit today or tomorrow.

I went with 6 inch springs with 400lb front and 650lb rear....also got street camber kit.

Looking to drop between 3/4-1 inch front and between 1/2-3/4 inch in rear.

Want slightly stiffer than stock but lowered...also want my EDC to function but this sounds like it might not work at all anymore.
+1
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #97
dawgdog
Colonel
 
dawgdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3 dct
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

Posts: 2,076
iTrader: (0)

I'm very happy with my kit and have done at least 15 track days. It is a bit stff but on 18" wheels is really not bad. I can't remember about the bump stops. Do have some noise occasionally from the sway bar endlinks, so have to lubricate them occasionally. Definitely a great kit for the money.
Attached Images
   
__________________
AW on Fox Red Extended, Alum trim, ZPP, ZTP, DCT, 19" wheels, Heated front seats, HD radio, Sat radio, I-pod & usb, Premium sound, AP racing BBK, 18 Volk Racing TE 37s, Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, AST suspension
dawgdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #98
e60cs5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 230
iTrader: (1)

I am loving mine. My drop is very similar to yours. Maintaining factory rake appears to be critical. I didn't dump mine in the front all the way.

I went with the slightly softer setup and the ride quality on the street is awesome. Definitely stiffer but not harsh at all. The car is PLANTED. I love this kit.
e60cs5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #99
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Anyone know of a place the sells/installs this kit in California Bay Area (near San Francisco)?
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #100
e60cs5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 230
iTrader: (1)

A few pics of mine.

OEM 19's with spacers, GC Kit NOT lowered all the way and my stoptechs.
I love the ZCP wheels and will use them for some light track duty..but stoked for some new concave Klassens.


e60cs5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #101
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,151
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
A few pics of mine.

OEM 19's with spacers, GC Kit NOT lowered all the way and my stoptechs.
I love the ZCP wheels and will use them for some light track duty..but stoked for some new concave Klassens.



The car looks great. Lovin' the Stoptechs too!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #102
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
 
mastek's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,450
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Anyone know of a place the sells/installs this kit in California Bay Area (near San Francisco)?
Ground Control has done installs in the past - give them a call
mastek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #103
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,601
iTrader: (5)

I'm considering picking up this kit till I decide which full coilover set up I want to go with.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #104
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
 
mastek's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,450
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I'm considering picking up this kit till I decide which full coilover set up I want to go with.
?? i thought u ordered the JRZ kit?
mastek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #105
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,601
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
?? i thought u ordered the JRZ kit?
I did, but things did not work out. No sign of the kit yet.
Hopefully one shows up soon and someone tries it out.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #106
e60cs5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 230
iTrader: (1)

This may not be of much interest to those that are tracking the hell out of their cars... but I just got back from a 1000 mile trip and the ride quality of the softer GC kit was amazing... totally acceptable ride quality, just seems a touch stiffer....which I like because the car is more planted and performs better.

I honestly couldn't see any reason to spend a bunch more on a coilover kit - especially where many are mediocre or have a track record of significant problems. Just not worth it. Too much risk of ending up with crappo ride quality and I wouldn't want to end up being a test mule for a new product. Just my .02
e60cs5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #107
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,601
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
This may not be of much interest to those that are tracking the hell out of their cars... but I just got back from a 1000 mile trip and the ride quality of the softer GC kit was amazing... totally acceptable ride quality, just seems a touch stiffer....which I like because the car is more planted and performs better.

I honestly couldn't see any reason to spend a bunch more on a coilover kit - especially where many are mediocre or have a track record of significant problems. Just not worth it. Too much risk of ending up with crappo ride quality and I wouldn't want to end up being a test mule for a new product. Just my .02
What are your spring rates?
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #108
e60cs5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 230
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
What are your spring rates?
My fronts are 370 instead of 440 and I think the rears are 600 instead of 650. Not sure where I left my receipt.

Just call Jay and talk to him - he'll help you dial it in the way you like it.

He also added some rubber boots to my end links so they could be greased and wouldn't attact dirt. I think it ended up costing me like 50 bucks extra or something like that -but I'm happy not to have any noise issues from the get go.

Some have complained about the joint and the need to grease it every once in a while. Jay knew I was sensitive to (noise) and made a few changes.
e60cs5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #109
aytang22
aytang22
 
Drives: e92 white
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to aytang22
Bay Area seller/installer?

Does anyone know a seller/installer in the Bay Area?
aytang22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #110
knifegun
Major
 
knifegun's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Where the weather is always the same

Posts: 1,067
iTrader: (0)

Sonic MS (www.sonicms.net) I am sure could install them for you.

I just got off the phone with Ground Control. They suggested for my car to get 440 in the front and 700 in the rear. He said the rear spring rate depended on what type of exhaust you ran (i.e. OEM is heavier thus a higher spring rate).

Last edited by knifegun; 04-25-2011 at 02:53 PM.
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST