BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
World without mass religion

As a self-made atheist, I suggest we discuss what the contemporary world would look like without too gigantic religions: Christianty and Islam. Both came from the middle east and, naturally, the wide acceptance of Islam by the neighboring countries around Persian Gulf was sort of logical. But it still puzzles me how the whole Europe (and then the U.S. -- oh yeah baby!) had come to the acceptance of Christianity. How did the whole continent fall for those local Israeli myths??

Here is my definition of religion (or religious writing):

Religion is a subtance that consists of ink poured over paper and intended to treat unsubstantiated fear and anxiety associated with future and death. Prolonged use results in periods of perceived euphoria and delusions. In extreme cases, readers may collectively resort to violence. Young and undeveloped brains are particularly susceptible to permanent damage. Use with extreme caution because of high incidence of flashbacks and a risk of an irreversible loss of connection with real World. Causes severe dependence and difficulties in withdrawal comparable to opiates

Last edited by ATG; 12-05-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
8
Rep
506
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

the same way you fall for the atheist's myth.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
bravo!

So, all Europeans and other people who lived before Christ's birth went straight to hell because they did not follow the new testament?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

I think I will be an observer on this one...not much into that stuff.
But I know who will jump in...in about an hour and a half
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
With the "hard facts" as always...

Bring it on, baby!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here is an idea for all of you die hard plaintiff lawyers: let's sue Israel for 2000 years of pain, suffering, emotional distress, tripple personality disorder, and, most importantly, millions of people killed, maimed, and tortured in the name of the Holy Grail.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
But, let me tell you in advance, that the merits of that lawsuit will never be considered for lack of standing. Look here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/06/14/scotus.pledge/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-n-ice View Post
the same way you fall for the atheist's myth.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
So, all Europeans and other people who lived before Christ's birth went straight to hell because they did not follow the new testament?
You need to read up on your theology. That assumption is entirely wrong.

Well, if you add up all the people who believe in God, it comes out to something like 2/3rds of the world. That's just people who believe in God, other religions take up the rest and atheism is about 2.3% of the world. So you're definitely in the minority with that view.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
179
Rep
7,274
Posts

 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

Everyone should read this - believers and non-believers
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
742
Major
11
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
As a self-made atheist, I suggest we discuss what the contemporary world would look like without too gigantic religions: Christianty and Islam. Both came from the middle east and, naturally, the wide acceptance of Islam by the neighboring countries around Persian Gulf was sort of logical. But it still puzzles me how the whole Europe (and then the U.S. -- oh yeah baby!) had come to the acceptance of Christianity. How did the whole continent fall for those local Israeli myths??
Religion and politics are historically two sides of the same coin. This is why Kings and Queens are crowned by the church. In this case Rome, in its death throes, inserted Christianity into Europe.

And consider that but for the turn of a few battles Western Europe would still be Catholic. Or Spain Muslim. Or Ireland…who knows.

And since you are trying to stir the pot, here is another ingredient. One of the least likely places to find atheists, agnostics and free thinkers in general is prison.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
179
Rep
7,274
Posts

 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
. One of the least likely places to find atheists, agnostics and free thinkers in general is prison.
Or anyone about to die
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion
Everyone should read this - believers and non-believers
lol, 1 of his 4 main points is an argumentum ad populum and one of the other 3 is highly debatable and opinionated. The other 2 are common sense and don't do anything to make God less "believable".
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Well, if you add up all the people who believe in God, it comes out to something like 2/3rds of the world. That's just people who believe in God, other religions take up the rest and atheism is about 2.3% of the world. So you're definitely in the minority with that view.
This, of course, is not an argument ad populum.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
This, of course, is not an argument ad populum.
touche

OK I'll tell you the real reason God must exist. Intelligent design is the only possible way that life came about. I'm not buying that I was nothing more than a puddle of amino acids however many million years ago.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
179
Rep
7,274
Posts

 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
lol, 1 of his 4 main points is an argumentum ad populum and one of the other 3 is highly debatable and opinionated. The other 2 are common sense and don't do anything to make God less "believable".
Whether you believe or not or whether you listen to his arguments are personal choices and cannot ever be debated. EDIT to a successful outcome.

The good bit in the book is the description of religion etc - how it started, what happened etc.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
One of the least likely places to find atheists, agnostics and free thinkers in general is prison.
Good point. Fear and religion go hand in hand. People are so afraid to recognize that they are alone in their own universe and there is no kind and caring grandfather to meet them in the paradise ... What amazes me the most is that some people are more sympathetic to a "religious" felon a la Don Corleone rather than a law abiding atheist.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Whether you believe or not or whether you listen to his arguments are personal choices and cannot ever be debated.
I did listen and I'm not debating that. I'm debating the validity of his points. I agree with 2, disagree with one, and one has no basis in fact.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
touche

OK I'll tell you the real reason God must exist. Intelligent design is the only possible way that life came about. I'm not buying that I was nothing more than a puddle of amino acids however many million years ago.
Well, I agree with you that you were not a puddle of amino acids many million years ago. You were that puddle less than 100 years ago and will eventually go back to that state again (as will I and all other people on earth). There are things we cannot explain and will never be able to. Intelligent Design is a creation of human ego and reluctance to recognzie that we are no better than any animal, tree, or a piece of soil. Who designed God? Another onmi-potent architect or a morbid human brain? Humans are both "blessed" and "cursed" with having abstract mentality, which plays tricks on us all the time. In this sense, human kind is a strange experiment of nature.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
bmw0perat0r's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
492
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

In time all will know the truth, that I am certain of.

The word Christian is so diluted these days. Who among these people believe Christ is their Lord and Savior? What is it to be Christian? These are the questions I hear most.

Flame me if you wish, but I am a born again Christian - that means I have accepted Christ as my savior, that He died for my sins and that He was raised from the dead and will return again. I don't just believe, I know it to be true. "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" Am I perfect? no. Am I a sinner? definitly. Can I do good works to cover my sins? no. How then am I saved? By the blood of Christ who died for all of us that we should have ever lasting life. Why would He do such a thing? Because He first loved us.

I don't care what people say, the Bible is the living word of God. I would hope that more would come to Christ, but I can't make you or anyone else - All are saved by the grace of God and not by the works of man. There's nothing I could do to save myself from what I deserve, only Christ Jesus can - and He deserves all the glory. Do I struggle with sin everyday? You bet I do.

Do I take offense to your post and that you're an athiest, no. But I hope that one day you understand what I know to be true. It is up to you to accept Him or not.

I'm a regular guy, trying to make my way in the world...i'm no better than anyone else. If you ever hear a Christian judge you or show contempt for you...they are in the wrong. I am not judging you, you are free to believe what you will. It is your choice and I have nothing against you.

guess that was long, but its my 2 cents in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #20
FirstClass
Brigadier General
31
Rep
3,199
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Who designed God? Another onmi-potent architect or a morbid human brain?
That's just the thing, science can't explain the source of the universe, just as religion can't explain the source of God. That argument gets you no closer to advancing your point.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #21
- Paul -
Major General
- Paul -'s Avatar
England
179
Rep
7,274
Posts

 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
There wil be no winners in the argument about A God vs Science - You believe in one or the other or become agnostic!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #22
ATG
Major
ATG's Avatar
Cuba
21
Rep
1,058
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastside

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
In time all will know the truth, that I am certain of.

The word Christian is so diluted these days. Who among these people believe Christ is their Lord and Savior? What is it to be Christian? These are the questions I hear most.

Flame me if you wish, but I am a born again Christian - that means I have accepted Christ as my savior, that He died for my sins and that He was raised from the dead and will return again. I don't just believe, I know it to be true. "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" Am I perfect? no. Am I a sinner? definitly. Can I do good works to cover my sins? no. How then am I saved? By the blood of Christ who died for all of us that we should have ever lasting life. Why would He do such a thing? Because He first loved us.

I don't care what people say, the Bible is the living word of God. I would hope that more would come to Christ, but I can't make you or anyone else - All are saved by the grace of God and not by the works of man. There's nothing I could do to save myself from what I deserve, only Christ Jesus can - and He deserves all the glory. Do I struggle with sin everyday? You bet I do.

Do I take offense to your post and that you're an athiest, no. But I hope that one day you understand what I know to be true. It is up to you to accept Him or not.

I'm a regular guy, trying to make my way in the world...i'm no better than anyone else. If you ever hear a Christian judge you or show contempt for you...they are in the wrong. I am not judging you, you are free to believe what you will. It is your choice and I have nothing against you.

guess that was long, but its my 2 cents in this thread.
I like your sincerety and I wish every Christian would be as peaceful as you are. Whatever the labels are, if all people learn to accept all other different people around them there will be "paradise" on earth. This is so easy!!! But, ego, greed, and fear always stand in the way.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST