BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #45
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Given they already got rid of the A346 and taking more and more delivery of the 773ER....in routes like HKG-LAX, they replaced with all 773ER which gives them more flexibility in terms of range and cargo load.

It also capable of ultra long range routes like HKG-JFK, plus CX had plenty of 777-300 pilots ready for many years. It was a sensible and conservative (safe business practice) decision.

CX originally leased three A346 just for the HKG-JFK route only, plus some short hops such as TPE during its layover in HKG...once they got the 773ER, CX don't need the 4-engine anymore...
Agreed, the 777W and a330 has better cargo capacity then the rest of the aircrafts in CX's fleets and CARGO is considered to be more of an asset, over passenger loads, to CX than any other airline due to the fact that when SARS happened, it was the CARGO division that saved CX. So it indeed makes perfect sense for them to buy more 777W. Again, CX did say that if airbus is able to build a longer version of the a380 that will be passenger and cargo friendly, because the current a380 design does not allow large cargo spaces, then they will reconsider the 777W frames.
      04-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #46
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
another airbus incident....united 497 on april 4th. shortly after takeoff, pilot declared emergency for smoke in cockpit. all flight instruments were lost and they had to do a no gyro approach under low, bkn ceilings.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...anded_aft.html

ATC audio is about midway down that page.
Kudos to the pilot and ATC guidance.

I'm more worried about what if the equipment on the runway were not cleared in time for the emergency landing.
      04-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #47
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Kudos to the pilot and ATC guidance.

I'm more worried about what if the equipment on the runway were not cleared in time for the emergency landing.
they said maintenance
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #48
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
Yeah it seems Boeing was too late with this one. But I'd rather entrust my life to a Boeing at 35,000ft than an Airbus
Based on what exactly? Patriotism?

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
anywayz...imagine the passengers on the CRJ is standing up (even tho they shouldn't) and grabbing their hand-carries (which most Chinese passengers do always!)....they could get seriously injured!!!

the force on the CRJ is like the worse wake turbulence....
Why do you think they ask people to stay seated and buckled up until the aircraft has reached a full stop at the jetway?

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #50
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
Based on what exactly? Patriotism?
Not entirely. My father has been an airline pilot for around 24 years now, and he's never had a quality control issue with a Boeing (I know it kind of depends on the airline, but still). The first and last Airbus I flew on had a flap that was about to fall off and some hydraulic pump somewhere under our feet was making a ton of noise as we were taxiing, as if something was jammed. After about 5 minutes it came to an end. Overall it felt like they half-assed the thing. I know other Airbuses are probably as safe as can be, but you can't make a 2nd first impression
      04-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #51
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
Its all about the business market, the airlines yield network system and what aircraft to put on that route. Another thing is the price. Airbus are giving out great a380 deals to airlines compared to Boeing, $140 million per frame, which in a way screws up the CASM/RASM in favor of the a380-800 over the 747-8i. Certain airlines requires larger aircrafts and seat capacity to fill the yield of a specific route, basically why send 2 747's with a 3 class configuaration to the same destination when you can send 1 a380? The passenger per seat and seat per range also plays in favor of the a380 over the 747. For example, Singapore Airlines which was the launched customer of the a380 in the 2007 is completely pleased with the a380's performance (capacity and range)over its fleet of 747's (Mind you, Singapore Airlines was once the largest 747 operator in the world). According to their numbers, they predict that the a380 and future a380-900 will surpass the 747-8i. it may be a little to late for Boeing. And the war between the two isnt over yet, the new a350 is set to be the next rival to Boeings 787.
You know your stuff. The B748 is a stopgap measure allowing other technologies to progress while still providing competition in the largest widebody market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
well i think SQ is the best example of the a380's worthiness. that and maybe QF, too. SQ's routes are almost all longhaul route. QF uses the a380 on it's longest haul routes, as well. all of those routes are ~7000SM, where it would make business sense to carry as many pax as possible. now, filling those seats is something entirely different. i don't know about SQ, but QF has had trouble selling out a380 flights. now, when the 787 becomes a reality, i think the a380 is going to become even more of a novelty.

conversely, i think as long as they continue to mfg 747's without serious design changes and the need for different parts, the 747 will continue to be the airline's weapon of choice in the long haul/medium haul market, especially in freight as the MD-11F gets phased out.

i suppose my point is, besides being a diehard boeing fan, i think the a380 misses the mark in a lot of categories. a 747 can fly anywhere, while the a380 can't. this particular accident is just another reason i can think of for saying 'when is big too big?'
You also know your stuff. I've flown A380 a few times and it's a fantastic aircraft. I've flown it only once in biz... well worth it. 747 is and always has been a phenomenal aircraft. I can't really say anything bad about either - literally. I truly have no reservations about hitching a ride on either airframe.

All in all... I'd like to think that the global aerospace industry has weathered the downturn and is coming on strong. With the number of backlogs both EADS companies and The Boeing Company hold... I don't think either is worried about losing a "war".

Safe travels, all!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #52
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
On topic post... Yeah, that CRJ got moved. I couldn't imagine what it felt like onboard.

This was the talk of the town at AviationWeek's MRO Americas conference in South Beach last week.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #53
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
You know your stuff. The B748 is a stopgap measure allowing other technologies to progress while still providing competition in the largest widebody market.
Thank you! As a student pilot, i should know these things about aircraft specs or else i wont pass the interviews haha