BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Exclamation New VW Beetle revealed
















.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Call me crazy, but I actually really dig this. They added a seriously needed amount of masculinity, thanks to all of the crisp detailing and taught lines.

The roofline does a much better job of paying homage to the old Beetle. The sunken-in window sill is a brilliant idea and relieves a bunch of chunk from the sides. The side view mirrors are perfectly shaped and detailed. The headlamps feature a clean, defined design and the optional xenons (base halogens not pictured in OP) really bring it up a notch, and neither is poorly done. Body gaps are tiny, proportions are spot-on, and the sizing of everything in the rear is great too. The interior isn't even comparable with the last gen's. Without being able to comment on what the materials will feel like--and I'm hoping they're not gonna pull a MkVI Jetta and choose Fisher Price plastics--I'd say the interior should be a great place to sit in; sharp design, cool steering wheel, abundant details and appropriately placed trim. Oh yeah, the rear spoiler is a great touch as well.

I never thought I'd like this as much as I do right now. I'm sure a bunch of people will still call it feminine, but I think it has a unique charm to it. I'd love to see it dropped a little with some matte black HRE P40s with a polished lip.

__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,347
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Call me crazy, but I actually really dig this. They added a seriously needed amount of masculinity, thanks to all of the crisp detailing and taught lines.

The roofline does a much better job of paying homage to the old Beetle. The sunken-in window sill is a brilliant idea and relieves a bunch of chunk from the sides. The side view mirrors are perfectly shaped and detailed. The headlamps feature a clean, defined design and the optional xenons (base halogens not pictured in OP) really bring it up a notch, and neither is poorly done. Body gaps are tiny, proportions are spot-on, and the sizing of everything in the rear is great too. The interior isn't even comparable with the last gen's. Without being able to comment on what the materials will feel like--and I'm hoping they're not gonna pull a MkVI Jetta and choose Fisher Price plastics--I'd say the interior should be a great place to sit in; sharp design, cool steering wheel, abundant details and appropriately placed trim. Oh yeah, the rear spoiler is a great touch as well.

I never thought I'd like this as much as I do right now. I'm sure a bunch of people will still call it feminine, but I think it has a unique charm to it. I'd love to see it dropped a little with some matte black HRE P40s with a polished lip.

Lol. I've been looking at this all day thinking the same thing. I can't believe I like this new one. My neighbour across from me has the current one and I've been looking at pictures and the difference is huge. As usual you've pointed out all the details I like.

I'd never buy one, but still for what it is meant to be it does a better job in terms of design than the Golf does for what it is supposed to be. If that makes sense lol. I now wouldn't mind seeing the Beetle if it drove by lol.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, not sure if I'd buy one myself. It's still a little too light-hearted for my tastes. I'd be lying if I said I would completely ignore it next time I'm choosing a car though.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
comar1979
130i Treiber
 
comar1979's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Munich,Germany

Posts: 1,370
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Like it... Beside this crappy LED lights
__________________
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + Hamann Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #

comar1979 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Regular halogens.


I do wish they made the LEDs a stand-alone option apart from the xenons.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
PINeely
Major
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (0)

I love everything about it besides the chrome door trim and the headlights. The lights look like they'll suck the soul from your body when coupled with that VW grin.

The side profile is incredible though. And the ass-end of it is so perfect I don't know where to begin.
__________________
PINeely is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

would trade in my GTI for that....reason being is that it's very nice and no kids would try to race me anymore or pull stupid moves trying to impress me. This car looks pretty good we just need an R version now
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 04-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

I actually think its pretty nice. I like the gauges they incorporated on the dash. Clean car.
EpicE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
CAPSGOD
Major
 
Drives: Diesel Son
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #yolo

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

I like it. No homo
CAPSGOD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Year's_End
Local Jabroni
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,032
iTrader: (0)

Call me crazy, but if they make a hotted-up version of this thing I will probably get it as my next car. I think I might have some sort of mental issue. Weirdest case of infatuation going on right now. My friend has a pristine '67 Beetle that I love so that might have something to do with it.

Configurator is online already. I love bronze cars so here's my thing.
Attached Images
 
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Hold out for the BRZ STI or... Rocket Bunny FRS. Update: Scratch that. I've got a 2015 5.0/6MT with my name on it.
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 128i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,509
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
why does this get a boost gauge, but the GTi doesn't. I thought the gti was the sportier model
__________________
2009 128i Coupe Crimson Red MODS: -Injen Intake-Magnaflow Exhaust-Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Carbon Fiber Grilles - OZ Ultraleggeras - CF Mirrors
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Epacy2
Ire of the Regime
 
Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: STL

Posts: 1,209
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Going the route of the 911. Looking identical generation to generation. Although, this beetle is slightly more different than a new 911 would be.
__________________
Epacy2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
 
Drives: 2011 SG e90 335d
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (11)

Send a message via Skype™ to koreez88
I like it. Still more of a chick car.
koreez88 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
 
BruceJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Z4Si
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Georgia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Going the route of the 911. Looking identical generation to generation. Although, this beetle is slightly more different than a new 911 would be.
I dont know.... looks kinda like a TT to me. LOL Hopefully they have fixed all those little quality issues of the previous gen. Nothing like driving down the road in a downpour at 60+ mph and your drivers side window just drops like a stone and shatters into a zillion pieces. Followed by the passenger side a week later, then to find out that it was only a small problem that crossed over to the JETTA, and they just denied the problem existed for about 4 years - guess which car I had before the bug. Or the intentional design of the TDI that 80% clogs the intake/intercooler after about 40-50k miles. The wonderful timing belt that took them about 5 years to make reliably, so that it might last for at least 60k miles. JMHO, but no thanks
__________________

Mods: DaveZ's GDO, DIY Windscreen, Intravee IPOD adapter, MudFlaps, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, Gap-tech Power Top Remote +, M-Front Bumper, Mstache, Diet Hamburgers & a Big Fat Steering wheel, AE's
BruceJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
Call me crazy, but if they make a hotted-up version of this thing I will probably get it as my next car. I think I might have some sort of mental issue. Weirdest case of infatuation going on right now. My friend has a pristine '67 Beetle that I love so that might have something to do with it.

Configurator is online already. I love bronze cars so here's my thing.
That picture kind of reminds me of the gangster cars from Dick Tracy. Kind of.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
BillLee
Major General
 
BillLee's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HTX

Posts: 5,218
iTrader: (20)

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [0.00]
08 E90 335i  [4.65]
it looks pretty damn good.
BillLee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
ianbiz
4th E90
 
ianbiz's Avatar
 
Drives: German
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne/Orlando, Florida

Posts: 5,133
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
its growing into a 911
__________________
Ian
06 325 06 330 06 330 07 335 11 335 Msport
ianbiz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
ptack
Brigadier General
 
ptack's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 4,197
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Yeah, the LED lights are lame and the wheels kinda suck, but the rear fenders look nice and wide. Reminds me of the original beatles people used to mod and put wider wheels on.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Forgestar F14s, PPK Stage II
ptack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #20
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,658
iTrader: (0)

It looks freaking great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Going the route of the 911. Looking identical generation to generation. Although, this beetle is slightly more different than a new 911 would be.
Are you retarded?
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #21
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
why does this get a boost gauge, but the GTi doesn't. I thought the gti was the sportier model
The next GTI will probably have it. It's only that now the MK6 is and old facelifted MK5.. they couldn't fix a lot of things.
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #22
comar1979
130i Treiber
 
comar1979's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Munich,Germany

Posts: 1,370
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
I dont know.... looks kinda like a TT to me. LOL Hopefully they have fixed all those little quality issues of the previous gen. Nothing like driving down the road in a downpour at 60+ mph and your drivers side window just drops like a stone and shatters into a zillion pieces. Followed by the passenger side a week later, then to find out that it was only a small problem that crossed over to the JETTA, and they just denied the problem existed for about 4 years - guess which car I had before the bug. Or the intentional design of the TDI that 80% clogs the intake/intercooler after about 40-50k miles. The wonderful timing belt that took them about 5 years to make reliably, so that it might last for at least 60k miles. JMHO, but no thanks
Really? They denied it

Allmost every VAG Car got some Problems with the Windows... Even Seat, Skoda... The Polo of my Girlfriend got the Same Problem... Its just a 5cent plastic Part that falls appart
__________________
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + Hamann Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #

comar1979 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST