BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #67
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

Posts: 11,038
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
First, your math is wrong. If you take 100,000 civilians (an enormously inflated number) killed by US forces since the invasion in March, 2003 that would put the annual average at 25,000.

Also, the 1,000,000 civilians for Saddam's rule is extremely low. There were an estimated 600,000 political executions under Saddam, 100,000 Iraqi Kurds were killed in a single operation, the Anfal, and we also must take into account the civilians who died because Saddam refused to comply with the UN and have the sanctions lifted.
+1... are you saying that Iraqis killing Iraqis = civilian deaths on the hands of US? if that is your reasoning... you are so wrong. you can't stop civilians from killing each other... well you can try--and the US is trying but not succeeding...who said it was going to be easy.
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
just4kickz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #68
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
that coming from someone whose country has not seen real violence in 200 years...
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are using 200 like you use 20, to mean "a lot". The US Civil War was less than 200 years ago. I would also say December 7, 1941 and September 11, 2001 certainly qualify as violent.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #69
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
I suppose you must define what chaos means to you. I believe chaos is similar to that of Somolia after the US pulled out. .
you meant to say after US asses got kicked out, right?
Luckily, it was quick...

This one will be long, expensive and with a lot of casualties...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #70
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
+1... are you saying that Iraqis killing Iraqis = civilian deaths on the hands of US? if that is your reasoning... you are so wrong. you can't stop civilians from killing each other... well you can try--and the US is trying but not succeeding...who said it was going to be easy.

I agree with that, however, how come they were not killing each other before 2003???

Must be that there was some rule in the country...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #71
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are using 200 like you use 20, to mean "a lot". The US Civil War was less than 200 years ago. I would also say December 7, 1941 and September 11, 2001 certainly qualify as violent.
Actually, Hawaii thing was the only WW2 experience on US land while the rest of the world was in ruins...
Correct, the civil war was a little bit less than 200 yrs ago.

As for the 9-11 --> you have no idea. Yep, 5 buildings gone and unfortunately for us a lot of people in there.
Now look at Kabul, Baghdad, Pristina, Belgrade, Whole Europe (WW2), Korea (Korean War), Vietnam, and so on... That is real violence...

That is why you view things that way because you have not seen your or your neghbor's house gone in flames, or your cousin killed... If you were to experience the real thing, you would view it differently...

Again -- being there as the uS soldier is a completely different thing...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #72
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

WOW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18505030/site/newsweek/
He's done it again...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #73
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Actually, Hawaii thing was the only WW2 experience on US land while the rest of the world was in ruins...
Actually I believe the Japanese took 2 small Alaskan islands in the Aleutians as well.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 01:51 AM   #74
fire-n-ice
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ga

Posts: 506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
As for the 9-11 --> you have no idea.
Were you there?
fire-n-ice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #75
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> 100,000 Iraqi Kurds were killed in a single operation, the Anfal,

Sorry, but there weren't that many Kurds in the entire country. Many people died that day, but 100K is over the top.

> I think it was right to remove Saddam Hussein from power.

There are many other, more vicious and murderous dictators that should be removed from power, but their lands do not hold oil or minerals or gold.

Will you free their peoples?

> and possessed, we believed, weapons of mass destruction

You may have believed that, but nobody in intelligence did.

> Saddam Hussein had a history of pursuing and using weapons of mass destruction.

He also built schools, hospitals, gave women rights, had a balanced budget, and kept religious fundamentalists at bay. For the longest time, he was an ally to the US.

He certainly had an approval rating higher than Bush.

> September 11, 2001 certainly qualify as violent.

Twice as many children are run over by cars every year in the US.
Where's the war on traffic fatalities?
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #76
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
There are many other, more vicious and murderous dictators that should be removed from power, but their lands do not hold oil or minerals or gold.
Explain the jump in oil prices if we went in for oil. Seems to me if oil was the objective of the war prices would have gone down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
You may have believed that, but nobody in intelligence did.
The following link is to a CIA pdf of Iraq's WMD programs in Oct. 2002. I'll post a small quote of it here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA
Iraq has continued its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programs in defiance of
UN resolutions and restrictions. Baghdad has chemical and biological weapons as
well as missiles with ranges in excess of UN restrictions; if left unchecked, it
probably will have a nuclear weapon during this decade.
Here's the link. I wish you would know what you're talking about before posting things like that.
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #77
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Explain the jump in oil prices if we went in for oil. Seems to me if oil was the objective of the war prices would have gone down.
.
If you can milk them -- why NOT!!!
The jump in GAS prices is only in the USA (at this rate).
Someone is milking us.
Same on the oil priices...WAKE UP!


Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
The following link is to a CIA pdf of Iraq's WMD programs in Oct. 2002. I'll post a small quote of it here as well.

Here's the link. I wish you would know what you're talking about before posting things like that.
Read you f'n CIA shit in the link I posted in other topic. So many errors and wrong things...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #78
nightops
Lieutenant
 
nightops's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles- Westside

Posts: 468
iTrader: (2)

Rage Against the Machine explained it perfectly to those who believe we're 'helping' the people of Iraq---'You've got a bullet in your f***kn Head!!!' those messages ring more true than the day they were written. Bush Sr didn't even have the balls to invade Iraq after Kuwait...or maybe he was just smarter. The people who are getting rich off this war (Halliburton, the Defense Industry...) are controlling the destiny of this country right now, and Iraq is our Vietnam. I can only hope that things change in 2008-
__________________
335i Space Grey Coupe/ppk/ssk/pe exhaust/perf susp
nightops is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #79
Max_!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

> The following link is to a CIA

Oh, please! I was talking about *REAL* intelligence agencies such as MI6, Mossad and the FSB (KGB).

They knew Saddam had nothing left. But Bush ignored the Brits and the Israeli's got off on the idea you'd kill Saddam for them so they kept quiet about it.

I know US media has been censored (or at the very least brought very one-sided news) but you have Internet. This stuff was all over the news in the rest of the world.

It's not the first time the US government thinks they know better than the Brits.

> Explain the jump in oil prices if we went in for oil.

Prices haven't changed much in Europe.

The high US gas prices are the result of speculation and perhaps some gouging... You do know that Bush's buddies are the ones selling the stuff to you, right?
Max_! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #80
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Read you f'n CIA shit in the link I posted in other topic. So many errors and wrong things...
Alas you don't pay attention to what I say yet again. I was refuting the point he made saying that intelligence said Iraq didn't have WMDs. I provided a link showing intelligence said they DID have WMDs. I never made comments on accuracy. It's the same old crap with you interpreting a different meaning into what people say.

Actually, if the CIA was wrong you have to stop laying all the blame on Bush, you can't have it both ways. Either he lied and went to war without cause or the CIA fucked up and gave him bad intel. Seeing the pdf above makes me inclined to agree with the latter. (Assuming they were wrong, I haven't' seen that link you posted.)
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #81
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Alas you don't pay attention to what I say yet again. I was refuting the point he made saying that intelligence said Iraq didn't have WMDs. I provided a link showing intelligence said they DID have WMDs. I never made comments on accuracy. It's the same old crap with you interpreting a different meaning into what people say.

Actually, if the CIA was wrong you have to stop laying all the blame on Bush, you can't have it both ways. Either he lied and went to war without cause or the CIA fucked up and gave him bad intel. Seeing the pdf above makes me inclined to agree with the latter. (Assuming they were wrong, I haven't' seen that link you posted.)
Actually -- Bush is the leader of them all -- he can veto, he can decide. He decided and he should be first responsible for ALL (as were Milosevic, Hussein, and all other leaders...). Then, you go lower to the roots -- again like in all other cases...
What goes around --- comes around...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #82
FirstClass
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,199
iTrader: (0)

Huh?
__________________
328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Alum, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)
Current Mods: Heavy right foot - Planned Mods: Lightweight right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
FirstClass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #83
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Actually, Hawaii thing was the only WW2 experience on US land while the rest of the world was in ruins...
Correct, the civil war was a little bit less than 200 yrs ago.

As for the 9-11 --> you have no idea. Yep, 5 buildings gone and unfortunately for us a lot of people in there.
Now look at Kabul, Baghdad, Pristina, Belgrade, Whole Europe (WW2), Korea (Korean War), Vietnam, and so on... That is real violence...

That is why you view things that way because you have not seen your or your neghbor's house gone in flames, or your cousin killed... If you were to experience the real thing, you would view it differently...

Again -- being there as the uS soldier is a completely different thing...
So it is a bad thing that we have peaceful relations with our neighbors and weren't bombed to ruins in the Second World War? Are you claiming that the violence brought by the Allies against the Axis powers then was not beneficial to the world?

I believe I have more time experiencing combat than you do. You don't have to tell me about the horror it is.

I also find it interesting that you discount 9/11 when around 5 times as many civilians were killed in that attack than in Belgrade during the entire NATO campaign.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #84
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
Sorry, but there weren't that many Kurds in the entire country. Many people died that day, but 100K is over the top.
I am not sure where you get your information but there are between 5,000,000 and 6,000,000 Kurds in Iraq. The number of civilians killed in the campaign ranges from 50K to 185K. I picked 100K because that is the number estimated by independent human rights groups.

Quote:
There are many other, more vicious and murderous dictators that should be removed from power, but their lands do not hold oil or minerals or gold.
Name for me an equivalent dictator. One who invaded two of his neighbors, gassed his own people and those of his neighbor, and was in defiance of more than a dozen Chapter 7 UN Security Council Resolutions.

Quote:
You may have believed that, but nobody in intelligence did.
The intelligence services of the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Russia, Israel, and China all believed Iraq maintained stocks of chemical and biological weapons. If you do not believe that take a look at UNSCR 1441 and those nations that voted for it.

Quote:
He also built schools, hospitals, gave women rights, had a balanced budget, and kept religious fundamentalists at bay. For the longest time, he was an ally to the US.
Iraq was a client state of the Soviet Union. He was never an ally of the US. We did try to use him as a counterweight to Iran after the revolution but to say he was an ally is just wrong.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #85
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post

I believe I have more time experiencing combat than you do. You don't have to tell me about the horror it is.

I also find it interesting that you discount 9/11 when around 5 times as many civilians were killed in that attack than in Belgrade during the entire NATO campaign.
First one is questionable...although under completely different circumstances...

I did not discount the 9-11 event -- I was talking about the infrastructure damage (cities leveled) not the casualties...

If you want the casualties count -- add all of our casualties from WW1 through the 9-11 and Iraq war, then compare them to the casualties that happened in countries that we "liberated" AFTER we put our foot in...

You will notice that the first number is at least 20x smaller than the other...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #86
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
First one is questionable...although under completely different circumstances...

I did not discount the 9-11 event -- I was talking about the infrastructure damage (cities leveled) not the casualties...

If you want the casualties count -- add all of our casualties from WW1 through the 9-11 and Iraq war, then compare them to the casualties that happened in countries that we "liberated" AFTER we put our foot in...

You will notice that the first number is at least 20x smaller than the other...
You are right, we often win the wars we fight. That is normally done by killing the enemy in vastly greater numbers than they can kill us.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #87
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
You are right, we often win the wars we fight. That is normally done by killing the enemy in vastly greater numbers than they can kill us.
I doubt Chinese Embassy workers, Television Workers in Belgrade, Mothers and Children killed in Iraq and later marked as Colleteral Damage were your enemies. And in the end -- we/they kill more of innocent that actual enemies...

That is my whole problem...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #88
ganeil
Colonel
 
ganeil's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I doubt Chinese Embassy workers, Television Workers in Belgrade, Mothers and Children killed in Iraq and later marked as Colleteral Damage were your enemies. And in the end -- we/they kill more of innocent that actual enemies...

That is my whole problem...
The US is the most discriminate combatant in the history of the world. We have led the way in the development of precision guided munitions and employ them in the greatest numbers. Occasionally those munitions fail or are improperly aimed but overall they result in a substantial reduction in the level of collateral damage. Compare the collateral damage done by the Russians in Chechnya to that in Iraq.

War is an ugly, violent but often necessary business. Civilians should never be intentionally targeted but if the enemy chooses to co-locate their forces or assets with civilians, the responsibility for the resultant civilian casualties lies solely with them.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST