BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
silvergray545
Skittles
silvergray545's Avatar
Lebanon
45
Rep
454
Posts

 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
Cross-Platform Messenger Very Similar To BBM

I'm a HUGE BBM fan. I use it religiously. I've gotten to the point where it's almost annoying to use SMS (BBM fans will know what I'm talking about).

Every cross-platform messenger I've used sucked balls and I hate almost every one of them. I do use Whatsapp to speak to family overseas but that's about it.

I ran across this app just today. It's called LiveProfile. It is VERY similar to BBM. Definitely worth giving a shot. Also, it runs very smooth unlike many other cross-platform messengers. Try it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.liveprofile.com/
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
77
Rep
5,047
Posts

 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

iTrader: (1)

Supposedly RIM is looking to drop PINs and go with BBID in favor of turning BB into more of an android like experience with one login. Also, they are looking to turn BBM into a cross platform messenger system and charge other platforms for use.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles
silvergray545's Avatar
Lebanon
45
Rep
454
Posts

 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
I read about that but supposedly that won't happen until late this year. Not sure if it's a very smart move on their part. They might lose a lot of customers that way. But until then, this is a good alternative.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
19
Rep
1,821
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Despite all the talk, I really don't see BBM moving to other platforms. If RIM does indeed port BBM to Android and iOS, then BlackBerry really just becomes another phone and it's bad enough they're lagging behind Android and iOS in terms of what the average consumer wants in a smartphone and really risk more consumers leaving to those other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
coh4777
Lieutenant
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

When i switched from blackberry to android, BBM was the only thing that I missed. My friends and I have tried a few different services, but the one we like so far is Beluga. It pushes messages to your phone and allows for group chats with added features like sending pictures. The only problem is that it only supports iphone and android, not blackberry.
__________________
COH4777
2007 335i Coupe - Jet Black / Coral Red / Aluminum Trim / 6MT / Sport / Premium / CA / Navi / iPod + USB

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
62
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

BBM is a killer app
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

so whats the advantage of using BBM over regular texting?
__________________

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
CollinsE90's Avatar
United_States
226
Rep
1,927
Posts

 
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
so whats the advantage of using BBM over regular texting?
I dont like BBM, girls know if I read the message and know I'm ignoring them
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
It's a virtual IM basically. I've never found much advantage over regular texting with BBM, they both accomplish the same thing, though there is something about it that I prefer to regular texting. Not quite sure what, I just like it better.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I dont like BBM, girls know if I read the message and know I'm ignoring them
Very easy to avoid, keep the little dot "orange" instead of "blank" and their end won't say R. With practice you can read multiple BBMs without the sender realizing you've read them. Depending on your settings your LED will keep blinking though, which is annoying. And I typically deal with people who understand that it's not the end of the world if I get back to them a couple hours later granted what their inquiring isn't totally urgent. If some chick freaks out that you're not replying to her BBMs, there's probably more than that wrong with her
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
60
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fargo ND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Very easy to avoid, keep the little dot "orange" instead of "blank" and their end won't say R. With practice you can read multiple BBMs without the sender realizing you've read them. Depending on your settings your LED will keep blinking though, which is annoying. And I typically deal with people who understand that it's not the end of the world if I get back to them a couple hours later granted what their inquiring isn't totally urgent. If some chick freaks out that you're not replying to her BBMs, there's probably more than that wrong with her
+1... grab a buddies phone and mess around w/ the "D" turning to "R".... Kinda gives you an idea what you can do w/ out it turning over to the R

Im in love with my BB... regardless if its 2 years behind the android OS..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
77
Rep
5,047
Posts

 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

iTrader: (1)

I think the iphone looks nice. I think androids are ugly. I dont play games and I dont really surf the web from my phone. BB is exactly what I need. It gets me my mail without fail and its durable.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
Verbiage's Avatar
Jamaica
117
Rep
8,143
Posts

 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I dont like BBM, girls know if I read the message and know I'm ignoring them
lol.
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
62
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
+1... grab a buddies phone and mess around w/ the "D" turning to "R".... Kinda gives you an idea what you can do w/ out it turning over to the R

Im in love with my BB... regardless if its 2 years behind the android OS..
I agree BB is great at everything except surfing and it's battery lasts forever.
I had to return the G2 since it couldn't make it through a day without recharging in late afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
coh4777
Lieutenant
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
so whats the advantage of using BBM over regular texting?
The best feature for my friends and me were the group chats. It was great for football sundays cuz we could all talk about the games real time even tho we are all in different cities. Also bbm obviously does not use up your monthly text message allowance.
__________________
COH4777
2007 335i Coupe - Jet Black / Coral Red / Aluminum Trim / 6MT / Sport / Premium / CA / Navi / iPod + USB

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
M3Bahn's Avatar
62
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ATL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coh4777 View Post
The best feature for my friends and me were the group chats. It was great for football sundays cuz we could all talk about the games real time even tho we are all in different cities. Also bbm obviously does not use up your monthly text message allowance.
Yup, I used it for when I was in Asia, worked seamlessly and no charges.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
jpsum
Major
jpsum's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

iTrader: (4)

There's a fairly popular app called WhatsApp available on iOS, android and RIM. It's free for the first year and it automatically knows which of your contacts already have WhatsApp so you can msg them.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I think the iphone looks nice. I think androids are ugly. I dont play games and I dont really surf the web from my phone. BB is exactly what I need. It gets me my mail without fail and its durable.
+1...I keep my gmail and outlook open all day at work and my BB will often receive email before either inbox gets it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
Verbiage's Avatar
Jamaica
117
Rep
8,143
Posts

 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

BB's are boring as shit period. Fuck that functionality justification BS.
__________________
Peep my music shit here
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
BB's are boring as shit period. Fuck that functionality justification BS.
you are forgetting

brickbreaker > else
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #21
Verbiage
I swag on 'em.
Verbiage's Avatar
Jamaica
117
Rep
8,143
Posts

 
Drives: N54B30
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (5)

__________________
Peep my music shit here
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #22
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Despite all the talk, I really don't see BBM moving to other platforms. If RIM does indeed port BBM to Android and iOS, then BlackBerry really just becomes another phone and it's bad enough they're lagging behind Android and iOS in terms of what the average consumer wants in a smartphone and really risk more consumers leaving to those other platforms.
With QNX at the reins, I see a much more viable and competitive OS on the way from BB. If they try to hold on to their niche, they will probably die. If they open up the platform a bit, at least they have a chance to compete now. BB's only chance is to get away from their roots. If they don't, they're going to die a somewhat slow and very painful death.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
btm still kfc, persian54 = worst liar, persian54 ishairyladyboy, persian54 ladyboy tramp, persian54 loves any cock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST