BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
chuckvic
Private First Class
1
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: el paso

iTrader: (0)

spark plugs changed at 30300 in my 2009 with the due oil change, really no detectable difference.

chuck
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
AlpWtE92's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
I'd rather not say right now because to me, they have not done anything worthy of complaining yet and they have generally been nice to me. They supposedly are waiting to hear back from their BMW NA rep to get the go-ahead before doing the spark plug change. I will provide an update later.
Just wanted to update on what happenned with my maintenance. So
the dealer heard back from whoever they check with at BMW and they confirmed that I should have had my spark plug changed at 37,000 miles. They also found out that my CBS counter was not correct, and that it should have been at a different count (something about changing it from a "5" to a "3"). They said this is why the service printout did not tell them to change the spark plugs. Because of the service counter reset, they also changed my manual tranny fluid.

The thing that really annoys me is that earlier in this thread, I described how the dealer refused to change my spark plug at 37K miles, telling me that BMW would not cover it and even showing me a supposed notice that said the change is not necessary. This time I insisted that they change it or told them I would contact BMW NA myself, if they didn't, before they agreed to check with BMW to confirm the spark plugs should have been changed at 37K. This is just another example of why you cannot trust the dealer to know what's best for your car, even though they're supposed to be the "experts."
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
e92zero
Lieutenant
6
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

iTrader: (0)

^ Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
MTROIS
Major
MTROIS's Avatar
France
22
Rep
1,111
Posts

 
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA

iTrader: (0)

Got my 30k service done yesterday and they changed the spark plugs, oil + filter, manual gear box and diff oils... The crazy thing is that my engine is no longer running smoothly now!!!

I need to bring it back tomorrow...
__________________
2008 M3 Coupé | 1995 M3 LTW | BMW CCA Instructor
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
ttt
Private
0
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: n/a
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
This is just another example of why you cannot trust the dealer to know what's best for your car, even though they're supposed to be the "experts."
Couldn't agree more. The service advisor at my dealership didn't know that M3s don't come with run flat tires. It's one thing when a finance manager doesn't know about their cars (the finance manager I dealt with was convinced that M3s come with run-flats too); it's pretty disappointing when a service advisor has no clue either...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
X2Board
Captain
X2Board's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
945
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC

iTrader: (1)

Interesting. I got the same line of crap from my SA, about it not showing in CBS. Calling her on it today! I'm at 38K and already noticed a decrease in performance/mileage.
__________________
2015 YMB/Silverstone F80 M3 6sp ED completed on 12/5. Tracking shipment, and waiting for PCD date.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - For Sale! Send me a PM for details.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
2009 Montego Blue/Grey E90 335i -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
happos2
Dingleberries
18
Rep
1,182
Posts

 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (3)



You should give the SA the emoticon above. Either act it out or bring your computer and make it full screen for him to see!

My humor for the day.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #30
osteome
Major
osteome's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,096
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (4)

This two year old thread bump of the day is brought to you by......

FWIW the dealer wanted to change the plugs in my 2009 at 26K miles and kust a little over 4 years. I passed on the estimated $800 charge and will DIY.
__________________
2009 M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo: 6MT, Tech, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound, Ipod, 19'' Wheels, OEM Exhaust Mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #31
flabio
New Member
flabio's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 Jerez Black DCT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan, USA

iTrader: (0)

Same here. 26k on 09 e93 and they said spark plugs and rear differential with scheduled oil change. $900+. Passing for now.
__________________
2009 E93 M3 convertible Jerez Black/black DCT 19" premium/technology/cold weather pkgs.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Interesting. I got the same line of crap from my SA, about it not showing in CBS. Calling her on it today! I'm at 38K and already noticed a decrease in performance/mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post


You should give the SA the emoticon above. Either act it out or bring your computer and make it full screen for him to see!

My humor for the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
This two year old thread bump of the day is brought to you by......

FWIW the dealer wanted to change the plugs in my 2009 at 26K miles and kust a little over 4 years. I passed on the estimated $800 charge and will DIY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flabio View Post
Same here. 26k on 09 e93 and they said spark plugs and rear differential with scheduled oil change. $900+. Passing for now.


FWIW, I got mine changed under the original free maintenance plan at 24k miles. I didn't have to ask for it, they just offered it after reading my CBS.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673157
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #33
Patrick Lynn
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 MT coupe
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: El Paso TX

iTrader: (0)

Dealer run around for plug change

I purchased my 2009 BMW M3 in Germany through US military sales. A few weeks before running out of warranty (Apr 2013) I took the car by BMW of El Paso for a final service under warranty. The micro filters and brake fluid were changed. The car had 37,000 miles on the odometer. The on line US BMW warranty and service information indicates the plugs be changed at 37,000 mile intervals and that the Condition Based Service (CBS) would not indicate a change- "Spark plugs (not shown in the CBS Maintenance work): Replace spark plugs at intervals of 37,000 miles". I am prepping my car for shipment to Germany and just discovered the spark plug change interval guidance. I brought this to the attention of the warranty and service manager. She informed me the published information was misleading. She told me the plug change was due every third oil change. When I pointed out my documented service records manually filled out by the German dealers (as required) indicated that the service was my third oil change. She acknowledged this but told me the CBS would indicate whether my car required a plug change. The service manual clearly states-" not shown in the CBS Maintenance work". She also indicated they would only recognize the service records that were on their computer and only Germany manually entered the service information in a book. The on line US BMW warranty and service information indicates- "Evidence of Maintenance Work. This BMW Service and Warranty Information Booklet should be presented to your BMW center when maintenance is required. Make sure that confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in this Service and Warranty Information Booklet. You may need this for any warranty claims that become necessary, and later on as evidence that your car has been given the correct and regular maintenance that justifies its resale or trade-in value". I feel the dealer failed to adhere to the published service guidance and were unwilling to make this right.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #34
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
thekurgan's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,887
Posts

 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Lynn View Post
I purchased my 2009 BMW M3 in Germany through US military sales. A few weeks before running out of warranty (Apr 2013) I took the car by BMW of El Paso for a final service under warranty. The micro filters and brake fluid were changed. The car had 37,000 miles on the odometer. The on line US BMW warranty and service information indicates the plugs be changed at 37,000 mile intervals and that the Condition Based Service (CBS) would not indicate a change- "Spark plugs (not shown in the CBS Maintenance work): Replace spark plugs at intervals of 37,000 miles". I am prepping my car for shipment to Germany and just discovered the spark plug change interval guidance. I brought this to the attention of the warranty and service manager. She informed me the published information was misleading. She told me the plug change was due every third oil change. When I pointed out my documented service records manually filled out by the German dealers (as required) indicated that the service was my third oil change. She acknowledged this but told me the CBS would indicate whether my car required a plug change. The service manual clearly states-" not shown in the CBS Maintenance work". She also indicated they would only recognize the service records that were on their computer and only Germany manually entered the service information in a book. The on line US BMW warranty and service information indicates- "Evidence of Maintenance Work. This BMW Service and Warranty Information Booklet should be presented to your BMW center when maintenance is required. Make sure that confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in this Service and Warranty Information Booklet. You may need this for any warranty claims that become necessary, and later on as evidence that your car has been given the correct and regular maintenance that justifies its resale or trade-in value". I feel the dealer failed to adhere to the published service guidance and were unwilling to make this right.
She may be confusing the plug change with the N54, which is around 45k miles.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BPMSport 91 octane tune/BPMSport Feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Alcantara Wheel/Rear Fog Switch/Rattle fixes
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST