BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

EXXEL Distributions

03-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
yeefoo335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question How to disconnect battery on e90 335i?

This may sound stupid but is there a DIY on how to disconnect your battery? Do you just unscrew the negative battery terminal and thats it? What do you do exactly..

Posted this already but either people dont like me or just dont like to help..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
mmand743
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeefoo335 View Post
This may sound stupid but is there a DIY on how to disconnect your battery? Do you just unscrew the negative battery terminal and thats it? What do you do exactly..

Posted this already but either people dont like me or just dont like to help..
Just disconnect the terminals. And be careful not to touch them together during the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

^ What he said.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My dealer said the techs don't disconnect the cable from the battery. They disconnect at another location. They try to stay away from the battery terminals because the cables have a small charge embedded in them so to explode during an accident so there isn't a chance of an electrical fire. Just what he told me.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Just disconnect the negative terminal by unscrewing the connecting bolt and remove it away from the battery terminal. It is very safe and won't creat spark with negative terminal.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
My dealer said the techs don't disconnect the cable from the battery. They disconnect at another location. They try to stay away from the battery terminals because the cables have a small charge embedded in them so to explode during an accident so there isn't a chance of an electrical fire. Just what he told me.
What they're talking about is the possibility of explosive gasses that can build up in the battery box while it's being charged. When you reconnect the wire there's always a current inrush that causes a spark, and it could ignite the gasses. It's one of those things that could happen, but in practice never really does. I wouldn't charge the battery with the cable disconnected and the trunk closed though, or at least let it air out for a while before hooking it back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Just disconnect the negative terminal by unscrewing the connecting bolt and remove it away from the battery terminal. It is very safe and won't creat spark with negative terminal.
You'll get the same spark no matter which terminal you disconnect. The reason the negative terminal is the safer of the two is because if you bang the ratchet or wrench against something metal, there's no short circuit created. If you disconnect the + side first and do that, you're going to see what arc welding looks like up close.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
^what he said!
Appreciate 0