BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92 Lighting

03-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #45
Franken///M
A70

Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Did not really need the additional room and made the mistake of driving them back to back. After the M drive, the F10 felt like a small boat. A really nicely equipped boat, but a boat. It is a really nice car however and if I needed the back seat for ankle biters or needed a trunk for soccer stuff, I would have looked closer. It also seems a little plagued with normal freshman year gremlins and RFT woes.

In the end it was missing my E46, the killer lease terms on the verts and wanting to get into the last of the NA M's before they are a picture in somebody's coffee table book on cars years from now under "Great Cars Long Gone".
Totally understand. I figure in a couple year I might...dear god...might have to start looking for a four door car. I was split 50/50 on the 1M and M3. I loved the smaller body, light weight, and back to basic theme of the 1M. The M3 looks a bit better, but what really sold me though was the engine. That S65 is amazing...the 1M has a great engine no doubt, but it just can't compare, add on the fact that all future M's will be turbo...the decision was not very hard.
Franken///M is offline   Germany
      03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #46
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I drove a heavily modded vert and it still didn't feel as quick and nimble as my coupe, which was stock at the time. Get the coupe with a moonroof, problem solved. The moonroof equipped car weight 40lbs more than the CF roofed car. That's 10 times less weight than the steel hard top and you get the best of both worlds.
You can definitely feel the extra weight but the E93 is still a very high performance car. The only reason to buy a vert is if you enjoy the top down experience. If that means nothing to you go for the extra 50 bucks per month and get the coupe.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #47
jmflukeiii
Captain

Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
You can definitely feel the extra weight but the E93 is still a very high performance car. The only reason to buy a vert is if you enjoy the top down experience. If that means nothing to you go for the extra 50 bucks per month and get the coupe.

CA
As I always say, I get plenty of air with the windows just rolled down. Everyone is Florida is always telling me "you have to have a convertible"... I've just never liked the looks of a convertible (the weight as well).
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
      03-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #48
DragonNeo
Private First Class

Drives: 09 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I too was very tempted to get a vert because of the monthly price but in the end, I always live by the motto "if your gonna spend the money then get what you want!". 70k+ is allot to spend on a car that you are unsure of and may leave you feeling regret. On my car I didnt skip on any of the options I wanted because like I said, if I am already going to be spending that much money then I am going to be sure that I get exactly what I want!

On the other hand though, I am sure that there are going to be nice sunny days where you drop that top and love the Vert. But other days where you see an E92 on the highway and then hate your vert.
I have never regretted getting the vert, and it's ludicrous to suggest that people would hate their vert when they see another E92. When I see another E92 (AW 90% time), I feel extra special about my vert. 2 M3 in 1, nothing beats that.

Winter beater: 2009 M3 E93 DCT with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
DragonNeo is offline   United_States
      03-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #49
amitv85
Private

Drives: E430

I was in your shoes this past month.

It would save me almost $100 a month if I went with the 'vert. Since I am buying the car for weekend and to start autocross/track I did not want to compromise and also lose out on events that dont allow convertibles (plus the performance benefit of a coupe)

If I was not going to track/auto-cross I would have went with the convertible.
      03-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #50
BobsM3Coupe
Captain

Drives: M3 Coupe

I wouldn't care if the E93 was 10K cheaper than the E92, I'd still get the E92. Even when I had vehicles with sunroofs, I never opened the thing.
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States
      03-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #51
journeyman73

Drives: Bimmer

i was in the very same dilemna last month - though the differece between the two models was about 80/month for me.

i would highly suggest you do what i did - forget about the price difference....now, which would you choose?

80/month was not enough of an increase/savings for me to be willing to drive something for the next 3 years that wasnt even the model i wanted.

i ended up getting the coupe, but maybe you will still decide on the vert....point is, absolutely do not let the price drive this decision for you - its about a tank of gas per month that you are talking about.
      03-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #52
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
With the current "deals" on the E93M, I am becoming quite compelled with regard to picking one up.

The problem is that I have never really cared for convertibles. I have never had one and have never really liked them when compared to coupes/sedans due to the extra weight and noise.

But...I really dont feel like paying for the coupe/sedan. They are ~$50 more per month. I don't usually track my cars, nor am I obsessed with times. I just like to drive something that is nice and fun.

The only other car on the table is a 335IS with DCT. I don't really want another 335i (hpfp problems) but there are quite literally no other cars I like.

Have any of you ever purchased a convertible and learned to love it? Or should I just wait it out and hope the lease rates on the coupe/sedan drop a little?

The way I want the cars set up...all I want are edc/sat/ipod/metallic paint.

btw - I can comfortably afford all cars mentioned, its just that having an $800+ car payment kind of disgusts me based on what I plan on using the car for (daily driver). My upper limit is $750.
Drove a M3 2009 new convertible (at the time I had a e46 M3 was thinking of changing). I did not like the feel of the convertible compared to my e46 coupe.

I recommend you hunt for a good M3 coupe, drive it then decide.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      03-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #53
MKParris
Private

Drives: 08 335i

Just went and drove an AW e93 and i did like it but... I could easily feel the weight in the tail end of the car with the top down. Ive already driven the e90 and e92 btw and they both feel fantastic.

When we got back to the lot, there was an AW e92 on the lot with the cf roof and i just knew i had to have it. No i didnt get it... But i will be ordering the e92 with edc, ipod, sirius and speed cloth (i am purist) from golfrrr.
MKParris is offline   United_States
      03-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #54
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drives: very well

vert haters make me laugh

that being said, get what you want. the $ is irrelevant.

at least it should be....

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
      03-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #55
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Just went and drove an AW e93 and i did like it but... I could easily feel the weight in the tail end of the car with the top down. Ive already driven the e90 and e92 btw and they both feel fantastic.

When we got back to the lot, there was an AW e92 on the lot with the cf roof and i just knew i had to have it. No i didnt get it... But i will be ordering the e92 with edc, ipod, sirius and speed cloth (i am purist) from golfrrr.
Good for you .... you will love it :-)

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
      03-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #56
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
vert haters make me laugh

that being said, get what you want. the $ is irrelevant.

at least it should be....
I did not hate it, just did not feel right

03-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #57
jmflukeiii
Captain

Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:

Nice, that's the way to decide. Just go do it yourself. Purist, eh? Get no extras.... I half wish I could have two, a manual with absolutely nothing and a DCT with everything (the latter of which I have).
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
      03-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #58
MKParris
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Nice, that's the way to decide. Just go do it yourself. Purist, eh? Get no extras.... I half wish I could have two, a manual with absolutely nothing and a DCT with everything (the latter of which I have).
ok fine, maybe not entirely a purist. My fiance actually likes the ZCP wheels better so my final config is below.

2011 M3 Coupe
Alpine White
Speed Cloth
Carbon Leather Trim
Competition Package
Sat Radio.

also do I get M-drive/MDM and Servotronic without having NAV?
      03-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #59
kcdude24
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

If you buy your car versus rent it then this $50/month crap becomes entirely irrelevant. I'd buy what you want, pay cash, and save 10Gs...just saying k dude. ...also assumes you've taken care of that honey of a soon-to-be-wife of yours...take good care of her first.
      03-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #60
MKParris
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdude24 View Post
If you buy your car versus rent it then this $50/month crap becomes entirely irrelevant. I'd buy what you want, pay cash, and save 10Gs...just saying k dude. ...also assumes you've taken care of that honey of a soon-to-be-wife of yours...take good care of her first.
no, I dont buy cars anymore. I can just never cut a good enough deal in 3 years to not be upside. down. leases only now.
      03-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #61
kcdude24
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
no, I dont buy cars anymore. I can just never cut a good enough deal in 3 years to not be upside. down. leases only now.
That's my point....if you can save the cash to buy it then you won't worry about being upside down...let alone $50/month....I'll shut up now before the flaming begins.

Best of luck with the purchase and wedding dude.
      03-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #62
cpenk

Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNeo View Post
This coming from someone who drives an Infiniti?

+1