BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
11' AW M3
Major
 
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: california

Posts: 1,237
iTrader: (2)

Web developers chime in...

Hey guys, a friend of mine is in need of a good web developer/graphic designer as he is looking to have an online commerce site built. From everything that I have heard, Magento seems to be the new standard? Any other recommendations? What exactly makes magento better than OSCommerce? What are the downsides to just going with a template vs. a bottom up build (beside less customization obviously)? It is usually more cost effective to go that route, right?

I am sure there are a ton of web developers on here- please leave your e-mail and references if possible and I will forward your contact info to him. Please no PM's...

TIA!
__________________
2011 AW/FR Extended E92 M3... fully loaded
11' AW M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Posts: 6,722
iTrader: (15)

Magento is more powerful and gives more options than OSCommerce, imo. That being said, it's more of a pain to install and configure payment options on it. I'm using Magento on my business site. Once you have it working, it's really nice though.

Send me a PM if you need more info.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
GregTheStig
derp
 
GregTheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: a Tuk Tuk
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I'm kind of a n00b with web development, and I have no experience with Magento or anything. But I can tell you that those free templates don't always work the way you want them to. If you can find one that will totally work for you and work with what you want the site to be all about, then go for it. Just remember that things may not work the way you want it to, so sometimes building your own template works best. Besides it's easy with Dreamweaver
__________________
GregTheStig is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
.:bHd:.
Major
 
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
I'm kind of a n00b with web development, and I have no experience with Magento or anything. But I can tell you that those free templates don't always work the way you want them to. If you can find one that will totally work for you and work with what you want the site to be all about, then go for it. Just remember that things may not work the way you want it to, so sometimes building your own template works best. Besides it's easy with Dreamweaver
lol not what he wants. Basic layout building is easy but back end stuff is complicated as fawk

Few of my clients use volusion and they're happy with it. Easy to set up and configure
__________________

.:bHd:. is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
GregTheStig
derp
 
GregTheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: a Tuk Tuk
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
lol not what he wants. Basic layout building is easy but back end stuff is complicated as fawk

Few of my clients use volusion and they're happy with it. Easy to set up and configure
... told you I was a n00b
__________________
GregTheStig is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
 
Freakazoid's Avatar
 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Magento is more powerful and gives more options than OSCommerce, imo. That being said, it's more of a pain to install and configure payment options on it. I'm using Magento on my business site. Once you have it working, it's really nice though.

Send me a PM if you need more info.


This, it largely depends on what he's trying to sell and how he's planning on going about it.

90% of the time, standard cut and paste templates and the simple approach will work. But if you're looking to make things a little more customizable and actually are making this a LARGE longterm project....go big or go home.

Your friend largely needs to figure out how much time he wants to put into this upfront.
Freakazoid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
e46e92love
Brigadier General
 
e46e92love's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

Posts: 3,026
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
I can give you my .02.......I would never go through a site like that. They product good stuff, but its way too expensive. You can get a great side built custom order for what they charge for their top packages, and then, you own it. No one can take it, no continuing costs each month except hosting it.

SEO is also very important, and what looks to be good to the naked eye, many times is built with subpar coding, which affects the ability to properly "on page" SEO the site.

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST