BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Strasse Wheels

02-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
trism3
Private

Drives: 2011 e92

dealer putting in miles after service

after getting service, what's acceptable mileage do you allow your dealer to put in your car? yesterday, when I got back my car after service, the dealer put in 20 miles on my odometer. i thought that was too much - almost a joyride, what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
elm3
M3 Lover
United_States

Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Well after they change the oil, they have to drive it to get a good reading on the oil level. I really don't know what is acceptable. But as long as they are not damaging the car, which I doubted very seriously that they are, they can take it for a ride to make sure everything is good to go. Just my 0.02cents
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: .

Happen to me too, but just once. From now on I always prohibit my car to leave the dealership. Just tell tech to put the 8.8L and you take care of the top-off. And yes, it takes a while for the oil to fully heat up and get an accurate reading, but don't want anybody driving my car for that long. And with 8.8L, level will be within the normal range anyway. Tech left my car draining while taking lunch, and ended up taking 9.3L to full, or 1/2L more. When I did my own oil change next time, it took 9.5L because I sucked the 0.2L from inside the oil filter housing.

Last edited by elp_jc; 02-09-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
M3RMA
Private

Drives: M3

20 miles....really...that is bullshit, they can drive it around the block if they have to in order to confirm oil level after service. Between start up and a run around the block provides plenty of time. In order to get an accurate reading it requires the engine to run for a few minutes, in no way shape or form does it require the car to be driven that long or that distance.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
WillC310
Lieutenant

Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RMA View Post
20 miles....really...that is bullshit, they can drive it around the block if they have to in order to confirm oil level after service. Between start up and a run around the block provides plenty of time. In order to get an accurate reading it requires the engine to run for a few minutes, in no way shape or form does it require the car to be driven that long or that distance.
In my experience the time it takes for the oil sensor to determine the level after an oil change takes a while. I changed the oil midway through and it literally took me 30 min of driving in stop and go traffic before the car was able to determine how much was in there. Once it was able to get a reading subseqeunt re-measurements took considerably less time. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the oil not being up to operating temperature. Remember, its almost 9l of oil and it's not going to heat up in seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
MMMeister
Enlisted Member
Philippines

Drives: E92 M3

Ay Caramba! 20 miles!
They need ZERO miles to confirm the car has enough oil.
Techs replace engine oils numerous times a day and they should know how much to fill back in.
For oil to circulate they need to have the engine running. No need to have the wheels spinning too!?!
I just filed a complained to BMW USA regarding this abuse from the techs. Hopefully some directive is created and sent out to correct this.

BTW, the last service I had I placed a dab of white paint on the rear tire thread. This is to catch them if they try to lay some rubber on the road.
Car came back with paint intact. Peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RMA View Post