BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

03-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
thai357sig
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

i-drive screen dead and oil puddle under car in 4 days, WTF?

Wednesday I got in the car to drive home from work and the nav/i-drive screen immediately went red and then completely dark/off in a couple of minutes. I re-started the M3 and it again went dead. I tried a couple more times on the drive home, but no change. The i-drive still works because I can advance songs on the stereo with the knob. Then yesterday morning I found about 25-30 mls of oil under the car. Looks like I'll be sending the M3 back to the shop. This would now be a total of 2.5 months my car has spent in the fukkin shop since my purchase. Granted three weeks of it was my fault with the garage accident. Damn this is so annoying!
      03-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your problems. Reading your post reassures me that I made the right decision to get my car without the iDrive.

Good luck in getting it all sorted out. Are you using the right BMW dealership? Is the dealership a major one or some small outfit? If it is a small one I would consider moving the car to a larger dealership where they know what they are doing?

After 2 1/2 months in the garage / shop time I would start talking "lemon" to the dealer from where I purchased the car. Is your warranty expired? There is a lemon law you know. Something to consider to resolve this. At least ask the dealer how many problems they have solved like this? Perhaps they don't have the right knowledgeable people at this dealership. Ask the questions, then if you don't get the right answers move your car to a larger dealership.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
Granted three weeks of it was my fault with the garage accident.
What happened?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
thai357sig
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
What happened?
This!
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467120

Update on nav screen went back a couple days later started up the M3 and immediately the screen comes on instantly, like there was never an issue. The damn oil leak was coming from the front right(passenger) side, just off center. Well I checked under the car again yesterday, no oil on the floor. I definitely know it's the M3 because it's the only car parked in that space in my garage. And None of my other vehicles leak oil. Neither did I need to top off my oil for a month. I'll take it in this week for a thorough diagnostic. I hope my car isn't just screwing with me!
      03-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
calintexas
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

If your car has been sitting a lot, your battery could be down on charge. The car shuts down features when the battery charge is low so that the starting system and what is necessary for you to drive the car have access to the available power. You need to use a battery tender if the car isn't going to be driven frequently.
      03-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
If your car has been sitting a lot, your battery could be down on charge. The car shuts down features when the battery charge is low so that the starting system and what is necessary for you to drive the car have access to the available power. You need to use a battery tender if the car isn't going to be driven frequently.
Very true and I have experienced this in my '07 650 when it was just shy of 3 years old. 3 years seems to be about the time BMW batteries to "go south." Started for me with a series of warning lights --indications of what was inoperative as the car disabled systems to save the amps for the starter. By the way, many of those systems did not return when the car started.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
thai357sig
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
No, this isn't the case. I drive my car daily. Also, the screen went crazy when it was sitting at my work parking lot. I drive it at least five times a week with an hours drive each direction to work. Unless my battery is dying after two years and 37,000 miles, I don't think it is due to requiring a battery tender for overnight parking. I wonder if they will be able to pick up anything if they were to look for any error codes. But the oil thing is baffling the hell out of me.
      03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep

Drives: Women Crazy

wow sucks to hear.

Take it to the dealer and keep us posted on
what the outcome is. Goodluck.
Appreciate 0