BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
FC
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328iT, '07 MCS, '02 JGC
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Greater Boston

iTrader: (0)

What do I lose without iDrive?

Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
shamoo
Captain
17
Rep
747
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal (Irvine & LA)

iTrader: (1)

I don't have Navi/iDrive, but I do have EDC.

Anyway, I don't think there's really THAT much you lose. A lot of the settings you can get to using the left steering wheel stalk. I think the iDrive allows you to set up a few customized settings that you can't get without it (i.e.: default the Power on, interior lights to stay on xxx seconds, etc).
__________________
2008 E92 M3 | 2007 Honda S2000 | 2001 Honda S2000 | 1997 Turbo Integra
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Money2536
Major
Money2536's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
1,392
Posts

 
Drives: ' 15 M3 | '14 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Villages, FL

iTrader: (0)

You can't get enhanced premium sound without NAV.
__________________
2015 Mineral White F80 M3 | Mineral White F80 M3 Journal
2014 Sapphire Blue 911 GT3 | Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal
2014 911 Carrera S (sold) | White 991 C2S Journal
My Garage Journal
My YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
PKL
Colonel
PKL's Avatar
35
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Oh man, I drove my brand new car today for the first time, after seeing how much stuff happens via the iDrive, I would NEVER get this car without it. Get iDrive!!!!!
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
bobbyd1961
Banned
26
Rep
2,411
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
i dont have i drive and i have mdct and edc. i think the M button only and of course navigation.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
119
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
You can't get enhanced premium sound without NAV.
oh no! World Crashes!

I have I-drive, it's slick and very useful in some sense. But I can probably live without it, it's just a giant toy that makes the car needlessly complex with it's 1 million confirguations.

For instance, most items you simply just set and forget, you will probably never change those settings again while you own your car, like courtsey light settings, park ventilation timer, door lock defaults, auto climate defaults, and even the M-Drive setting. You can set your M-Drive without I-Drive.

I also feel like you have a super high chance of crashing your new M3 in your first week of ownership, b/c you're constantly tweaking the I-drive in your first week while driving, I don't even know how I got it home in 1 piece the day I picked it up.

Last edited by mdosu; 03-05-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
IFX
Banned
32
Rep
2,538
Posts

 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

iTrader: (1)

well, according to most of this forum.

You MUST get idrive, it not, DO NOT BUY an m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Stainless 45
Lieutenant
Stainless 45's Avatar
8
Rep
458
Posts

 
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

"What do I lose without iDrive?"



-Endless frustration?
__________________
2011.5 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. Black Edition Grilles, No Keyhole or Reflectors, Rear Fogs Enabled, Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, 255x285's. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Chowster's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
oh no! World Crashes!

I have I-drive, it's slick and very useful in some sense. But I can probably live without it, it's just a giant toy that makes the car needlessly complex with it's 1 million confirguations.

For instance, most items you simply just set and forget, you will probably never change those settings again while you own your car, like courtsey light settings, park ventilation timer, door lock defaults, auto climate defaults, and even the M-Drive setting. You can set your M-Drive without I-Drive.

I also feel like you have a super high chance of crashing your new M3 in your first week of ownership, b/c you're constantly tweaking the I-drive in your first week while driving, I don't even know how I got it home in 1 piece the day I picked it up.
^^^^ Really funny, but uncanny how true it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
FC
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328iT, '07 MCS, '02 JGC
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Greater Boston

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys. I don't actually want iDrive. I plan on keeping this car forever and want to keep it simple and not make it seem dated.

As long as there is a way to configure the car without idrive so that when pushing the M and/or Power button I can access the same performance settings I would be able to with idrive, that is all I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Looking to configure my car. If I don't want DCT or EDC, so what do I lose in terms of the ability to set up the car if I skip NAV (iDrive). New cars have M-drive, but can I access all of it without iDrive?

Thanks
I for one looked and found one without the mDrive, found the colors I was looking for and a manual shift.

I drove a e46 (2002 M3) for 4 years and never got warm to the mDrive. I do feel like some that responded to you, ask yourself do you really need it? Most settings are set and that is the end of it. As for GPS how often does one need it and when you do need it there is the portable type (like mine it is a TomTom).

When you sit back and think about it you get the car to drive it don't you. Having this mDrive might lead you to play with it set something while you drive and we all know it only takes a second and you might loose control of your car.

I know I will not miss it and will enjoy my car during the drive then that is just me, some others might have other feelings on the subject.

Good luck in making your final choices.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
Rshane
M-Flight Member
Rshane's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,087
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Whatever decısıon you make, be sure ıt ıs exactly what everyone wants you to do...otherwıse you arenīt a true enthusıaıst.

Too many dıfferıng opınıons on thıs sıte...and way too much overly aggessıve attıtudes to be able to make an ınformed decısıon here.

I lıke the I-drıve...ıt gıves me more optıons of what I can do. IMO ıt ıs better to have optıons, even ıf you donīt ıntend to use them too often, than to not have the optıons at all.


If I were ın your shoes I would try to read up on everythıng ıDrıve has to offer...Nav, easıer access to your ınfotaınment stuff, etc. Then go from there. The M3 ıs an expensıve purchase, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

As far as all the 'you wıll crash your car' comments, well lıke everythıng else, use common sense. Same goes for talkıng on cell phones, puttıng on make-up, etc. Lots of ıdıots out there (many seem to congregate on BMW websıtes), so be careful.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue M3// Black extended Novillo w/ Blue Grey Aluminum trim/DCT/ZTP/ZCW/ZPP/ZCP Premium Sound ///Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew

Last edited by Rshane; 03-06-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
E. Honda
Private First Class
E. Honda's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West LA/UCLA

iTrader: (0)

iDrive is necessary if you love technology. If you dont then don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
OC3
Havin' a blast!
OC3's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
4,819
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Whatever decısıon you make, be sure ıt ıs exactly what everyone wants you to do...otherwıse you arenīt a true enthusıaıst.

Too many dıfferıng opınıons on thıs sıte...and way too much overly aggessıve attıtudes to be able to make an ınformed decısıon here.

I lıke the I-drıve...ıt gıves me more optıons of what I can do. IMO ıt ıs better to have optıons, even ıf you donīt ıntend to use them too often, than to not have the optıons at all.


If I were ın your shoes I would try to read up on everythıng ıDrıve has to offer...Nav, easıer access to your ınfotaınment stuff, etc. Then go from there. The M3 ıs an expensıve purchase, so make sure you get exactly what you want.

As far as all the 'you wıll crash your car' comments, well lıke everythıng else, use common sense. Same goes for talkıng on cell phones, puttıng on make-up, etc. Lots of ıdıots out there (many seem to congregate on BMW websıtes), so be careful.
lulz
__________________

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
muwarrior07
Private
muwarrior07's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

You lose very little if anything on the actual performance side (Sport + maybe). You do lose the the ability to customize many different individual features on your car. I ended up going with a pretty stripper model. I am not a big fan of intergrated nav systems and If you plan on keeping the car any length of time I feel like it will start to look dated after a couple years. Thankfully BMW made the M Button standard:P
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
14
Rep
638
Posts

 
Drives: car
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas - Preston Hollow

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
1970 240Z  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
You lose very little if anything on the actual performance side (Sport + maybe). You do lose the the ability to customize many different individual features on your car. I ended up going with a pretty stripper model. I am not a big fan of intergrated nav systems and If you plan on keeping the car any length of time I feel like it will start to look dated after a couple years. Thankfully BMW made the M Button standard:P
Exactly why I didn't get iDrive either. It was a tough call but I think 5 years from now the system will look dated, not to mention 10 years.
Since i plan on keeping the car for awhile it made sense for ME to not get it.
Everyone should make their own decision.
__________________
Current: SBM X5d, Jet Black E46 M3, Black FJ Cruiser, 1970 240Z
Former: '11 MCB E90 M3, 2011 Lotus Exige, 2003 350Z, 2002 WRX, 1996 Supra turbo, 1984 320i, 1987 E28 M5
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I for one looked and found one without the mDrive, found the colors I was looking for and a manual shift.

I drove a e46 (2002 M3) for 4 years and never got warm to the mDrive. I do feel like some that responded to you, ask yourself do you really need it? Most settings are set and that is the end of it. As for GPS how often does one need it and when you do need it there is the portable type (like mine it is a TomTom).

When you sit back and think about it you get the car to drive it don't you. Having this mDrive might lead you to play with it set something while you drive and we all know it only takes a second and you might loose control of your car.

I know I will not miss it and will enjoy my car during the drive then that is just me, some others might have other feelings on the subject.

Good luck in making your final choices.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
What the hell was that "mDrive" in the 2002 E46 M3? Or you meant the OEM Nav?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
RandyB's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,504
Posts

 
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

You lose that hideous double hump dash!
__________________
'09 E92 M3 6MT | Alpine White | Black Leather | EDC | CL Trim | 19s
'03 E46 330i 6MT | Electric Red | Black Leather | ZSP | Bi-Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #19
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

I just ordered my second e92 m3 without iDrive. Totally unnecessary. I got zcp so I'll have all sport modes and edc. I hate iDrive the double hump and screen is annoying to me and unnecessary. I have GPS on my iPhone if I really really need it, which I almost never do. I find it's easier to control my my music through my phone as an interface plugging it in through the aux jack. I still have bluetooth for handsfree calling. I just don't see the need to scroll through menu screens to control something on the car when there's a mechanical button that already does it. This time, now that power seats aren't included I didn't get them either. What's the difference if I pull a lever or push a button to move my seat. I think the interior looks much cleaner without iDrive.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
PKL
Colonel
PKL's Avatar
35
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

this thread is full of craziness, iDrive FTW. i know its just my opinion
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Do you still get the little keys holder where the controller goes? If your not idrive equipped
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Do you still get the little keys holder where the controller goes? If your not idrive equipped
I hope so, I keep my phone there.....
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST