BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

BPM Sport

02-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
HappyHour

Drives: 335

Track near Westchester County

Can anyone tell me the closest track to westchester county where they will let me drive for the day? Also is there a typical fee involved?

thanks very much
      02-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
midlifecrisis
Captain

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB

Your best bet is to find an organization like the BMW CCA that holds driver schools at various tracks in the region.

Lime Rock is about and hour and a half away, and Monticello is probably a little closer. Both are private clubs, although you can probably get access to Lime Rock through various car clubs, including the BMW CCA. I'd check the NY, Connecticut Valley, Boston, and Patroon Chapters. (They might all run Lime Rock.)

The New Jersey BMW CCA is doing several schools at NJ Motorsports Park this year. The first one is in April, and they'll be running on the Lightning Track. You can find details at www.njbmwcca.org. The cost is about $400 for the two day school. NJMP is probably a little under 3 hours from Westchester, and worth the drive. NJMP has two tracks. Most people really like Lightning - its' very fast and has a nice flow. Thunderbolt is more of a challenge and pretty technical. Grand-Am runs on Thunderbolt. NJMP also has its own Drivers Club. I'm a member there, and also involved with the NJBMWCCA.

If you don't have a lot of track experience, the BMW CCA is a great way to start. The instructors are fantastic and they're very careful about on-track safety and making sure students are assigned to the appropriate run group.

For more experienced drivers who want a more free-form experience and who also enjoy the club atmosphere, you can't beat the NJMP Drivers Club. I think initiation is currently $15,000, and dues are $2400 per year. They have 30 member days, and the daily fee is $165. They serve buffet breakfast and lunch, and they always have coolers full of water and drinks for Drivers Club members. This is included in the track fee. Club membership also gets you and your immediate family (kids under 21) into every pro event for free. (Grand-Am, ARCA, AMA, Historics, etc.) It's like a golf club for car people. You could also join Lime Rock or Monticello, but the initiation fee is much higher.

Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ also has a road course, but I'm not sure who runs there. I think it's shorter than the other tracks.
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
      02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger

Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50

Garage List
New Jersey Motorsports Park is good I take my bike and car down there as well as store my cart there. Asphalt is smooth as a babys ass

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
      02-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Echo M3
Major

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHour View Post
Can anyone tell me the closest track to westchester county where they will let me drive for the day? Also is there a typical fee involved?

thanks very much
This is an excellent resource for planning your track days. There are several tracks in the greater NY/NJ region, but expect to travel at minimum 40-50 miles.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
      02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
HappyHour

Drives: 335

Thanks all! Great info.