BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2010, 01:58 AM   #23
FruitCake
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
for 458 italia owners probably. It is one of the few cars with that tire right now
not the 458, for the GTO
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #24
BeemerBoyUK
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 120D
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

How do these compare with the yoko advan sports? any web diagrams floating about for those?
__________________
BMW 120D: Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers, Evolve Map, Yokohama Advan Sport 225/40/18 - 245/35/18, Milltek Exhaust (Cat-Back)
Pictures:
http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php...198333#p198333
BeemerBoyUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,327
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
let us know when you do....

im not surprise if your going to be the first one to get it... i found a hook up on tires... so let me know if you want them....




Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
wow thx!

ill be ordering a set of 295/30/19 when they come out

how much better can we expect this to be then the ps2 realistically?
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
I don't care if it costs $700 per corner, i'll but it.

Michelins for life.
x2, friends and family call me a "tire snob." I don't care, I want to feel confidence in my tires, I don't drive like a grandma, even in my low hp ZHP...

Hopefully I'll be wrapping some 19's in these by May...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
benn.
Private First Class
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: WA/CA

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

you think these are better than Continental ContiSportContact 5 P??
benn. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

I don't understand why they're introducing two tires in the same category. They should have had a PS2 replacement in the PS3, then the PSS to compete with the RE-11s and such.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #29
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,809
iTrader: (23)

nice!
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
Trier Germany
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

Posts: 1,085
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn. View Post
you think these are better than Continental ContiSportContact 5 P??
With out a doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #31
Trier Germany
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

Posts: 1,085
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBoyUK View Post
How do these compare with the yoko advan sports? any web diagrams floating about for those?
ADVAN sports are out dated these will blow them away in every category
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #32
Trier Germany
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

Posts: 1,085
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I don't understand why they're introducing two tires in the same category. They should have had a PS2 replacement in the PS3, then the PSS to compete with the RE-11s and such.
I'm with you Pilot super sport is just a PS2 replacement. Michelin skips the max Perf sector and goes straight to Comp PSS CUP will be next.
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,007
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I don't understand why they're introducing two tires in the same category. They should have had a PS2 replacement in the PS3, then the PSS to compete with the RE-11s and such.
I think the PS3s were just a stopgap until the release of the PSS. The PS3s improved on the PS2 in the wet categories, whereas the PSS improves on the PS2 in nearly all categories.

PS2 < PS3 < PSS
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
hyper Super Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
I'm with you Pilot super sport is just a PS2 replacement. Michelin skips the max Perf sector and goes straight to Comp PSS CUP will be next.
Sounds like it may be more than a PS2 replacement from info in the 4/11 European Car (pp. 32-38). The Koenigsegg Agera, on par with the Pagani Zonda and Bugatti Veyron, comes with them. With 910 hp and a weight of 2,832 lb, it is truly a hypercar, with a price over $1.3M. According to the article it achieves 1.6 lateral Gs with "epic levels of grip", 0-60 in 3.1 sec and 245 mph top speed. Tire sizes are Front: 255/35–19” (Y) & Rear: 335/30–20” (Y). That front size will work for us.

"...Koenigsegg himself waxes lyrical about Super Sports. As grippy as Cup rubber in the dry and yet usable in the wet, the new Michelin is a game changer and made this thing feel like it's running on race rubber."
Attached Images
  
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 02-17-2011 at 11:33 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #35
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...rformance.html

"The beloved PS2 will not disappear overnight, but it will be phased out over the next few years. Some of the odd sizes will stay PS2; Michelin will have to look at the market to see if keeping them is worth the cost. The U.S. market gets Michelin PSS as will the European market will get the same tires, but they will be called PS3 in Europe."
Mprofiler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #36
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post

"The beloved PS2 will not disappear overnight, but it will be phased out over the next few years. Some of the odd sizes will stay PS2; Michelin will have to look at the market to see if keeping them is worth the cost. The U.S. market gets Michelin PSS as will the European market will get the same tires, but they will be called PS3 in Europe."
Michelin has done an excellent job of confusing people (maybe it was the French accent when speaking to journalists) with the little information that has been put out. The Tire Rack has a few of both these models, and the Michelin website (http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport-tires) has listings for both, and they have different descriptions and tread patterns, so the Motor Trend story would not seem to be accurate. Michelin has updated their website on the PSS and it says "coming in April" - not sure if that includes the US. The PS3 sounds like a PS2 with better wear and wet weather performance, while the Super Sport sounds like a Sport Cup, except better all around and the ability to handle some wet.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...t/tire-details

__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #37
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Michelin has done an excellent job of confusing people (maybe it was the French accent when speaking to journalists) with the little information that has been put out. The Tire Rack has a few of both these models, and the Michelin website (http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport-tires) has listings for both, and they have different descriptions and tread patterns, so the Motor Trend story would not seem to be accurate. Michelin has updated their website on the PSS and it says "coming in April" - not sure if that includes the US. The PS3 sounds like a PS2 with better wear and wet weather performance, while the Super Sport sounds like a Sport Cup, except better all around and the ability to handle some wet.
Probably, but what's funny is that they rate ps3 higher than pss in terms of handling and braking.
Mprofiler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #38
yousef
Go Gators!
 
yousef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL and Tokyo, Japan

Posts: 45
iTrader: (1)

I have driven PS3 on M3 when I went back to Japan, and I have to say, it was a huge disappointment. PS3 is NOT a successor of PS2. Although PS3 has better wet performance, PS2 shows far better handling response and more grip. For those of you whom think PS3 is a successor of PS2, all I can say is just forget about it. Its name is confusing, but it might not be the one you want to put on your M3.

Apparently, Michelin is replacing PSS with PS2, and cup performance tire is coming after PSS.
yousef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #39
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,306
iTrader: (5)

On the graph, the PS3 is nothing more than an all season PS2.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Michelin's graphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post
Probably, but what's funny is that they rate ps3 higher than pss in terms of handling and braking.
Those bar graphs make no sense. The Super Sport is clearly better in all aspects of handling and braking compared to the PS2 in the polar graph in the OP, but is rated a 9 for handling and braking in the bar graph compared to 10s for the PS2. The bar graph explanation is, "Performance Ratings are calculated by Michelin on a scale of 1 to 10 and are reflective of the various tire lines' strengths within the overall Michelin portfolio."

????
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

We had a recent meeting with a couple of gentlemen from Michelin including one of the engineers for the PSS project, and they are very high on this tire. In North America, the PS3 will be limited to OEM fitments and will not be a full-line offering.

The PSS may turn out to be competitive with the current generation of extreme performance tires on dry roads if it is as good as they say, but is intended to have more of a balance of wet and dry traction than the typical extreme performance tire, so we are classifying it as max performance.

I am pretty excited for this tire, and am looking forward to getting it out on our test track.

Stock 18" sizes are already announced and should arrive this spring. They are missing the OEM 19" rear, but 275/35R19 will be here, as well as 255/35R19 to match up on the front.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #42
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Pilot Super Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
We had a recent meeting with a couple of gentlemen from Michelin including one of the engineers for the PSS project, and they are very high on this tire. In North America, the PS3 will be limited to OEM fitments and will not be a full-line offering.

The PSS may turn out to be competitive with the current generation of extreme performance tires on dry roads if it is as good as they say, but is intended to have more of a balance of wet and dry traction than the typical extreme performance tire, so we are classifying it as max performance.

I am pretty excited for this tire, and am looking forward to getting it out on our test track.

Stock 18" sizes are already announced and should arrive this spring. They are missing the OEM 19" rear, but 275/35R19 will be here, as well as 255/35R19 to match up on the front.
I was hoping you would chime in. Sounds like they may have a big market on this forum. I'd probably spring for a set next Fall, despite how well I like the Vredesteins.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cali

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

So basically PSS is for the aftermarket and PS3 will be sold here for oem fitments.

Last edited by Mprofiler; 02-18-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Mprofiler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST