BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #45
alpinem353
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: White M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Excuse the noob question, but do you have to shift the GTR with the paddles all of the time?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #46
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,767
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Paddles or auto mode I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #47
Mahmood07
Captain
Mahmood07's Avatar
Bahrain
20
Rep
809
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston->San Diego->Bahrain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
What I dont get is why nissan didnt offer a manual option? I know dct's shift faster than people but i prefer to be more involved with the driving experience. If they had a 6-spd manual i most likely would have got one over my M3 for it's shear abilities with AWD and a stick. But I jumped back to M3 from a S5 becuase Audi didn't offer stick for RS-5 too.

Oh well.
man why did you get a car you're not satisfied with? Theres more to a car than just the transmision. If you wantred a GTR or a RS5 i think you should have got it!
__________________
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #48
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
23
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
What I dont get is why nissan didnt offer a manual option? I know dct's shift faster than people but i prefer to be more involved with the driving experience. If they had a 6-spd manual i most likely would have got one over my M3 for it's shear abilities with AWD and a stick. But I jumped back to M3 from a S5 becuase Audi didn't offer stick for RS-5 too.

Oh well.
Well, isn't driving more than just clutch and shifter, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #49
phusion974
Lieutenant
phusion974's Avatar
Armenia
6
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (0)

I would buy the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #50
scheherazade
Major
17
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinem353 View Post
Excuse the noob question, but do you have to shift the GTR with the paddles all of the time?
Nah, you can leave it in auto.

The paddles are decent so long as you keep the RPMs up.
Once the RPMs fall below 1500 or so, the computer gets a mind of its own, and will down shift it when it feels like it - even ignoring you if you tell it to down shift SOONER than the computer wants to. My personal pet-peve...





Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
Well, isn't driving more than just clutch and shifter, no?
That's like saying, there's more to skiing than holding ski-poles.
Yes, you can go down the mountain with only the skis, but it's just not the same without the poles.



You have to give a car time to know whether you like something or not.

When I got the GT-R, I thought : "hmm, no stick. I guess that's fine."
...
Which evolved into : "ugh, this is so lame. I miss the stick. I'm bored with this."
...
Which evolved into : "well, I'm 'getting over it', and the car makes a nice relax-cruiser in auto mode... I'll just let my 'old man inside' enjoy it."




Now I'm looking for a second car that'll be the fun one. Maybe a Lotus, s2000, miata, or NSX-T... or a kit car (caterham, murtaya, something like that) for after I'm done building my house and I have room to put it during assembly (if I don't built an airplane instead...).



-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #51
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
10
Rep
393
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

The post claiming how if any GTR owner had an extra 30k they would be looking at maseratis or r8s is so incredibly naive and absurd.

Tell that to any of the enthusiasts who've been converted from lambos and ferraris and car guys like chris harris who say the way it drives feels more special than the new 911 turbo.

The GTR is not what people who can't afford a real supercar buy, that car is irrefutably the M3.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #52
HadiF82
Lieutenant Colonel
HadiF82's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
1,969
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Sorry guys I just changed my mine again hahahahahaha. Rode in a friends GT3!!!!!!!!!
__________________
'15 /// M4 On order
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP - Space Gray - Sold
'06 BMW 330CI ZHP- Sold
'11 E92 ///M3 ZCP AW- Sold
'06 E46 ///M3 ZCP JB- Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #53
Wes Howell
Ex Gulf Livery E92 Guy
12
Rep
499
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Find me on Instagram #weshowell

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
The post claiming how if any GTR owner had an extra 30k they would be looking at maseratis or r8s is so incredibly naive and absurd.

Tell that to any of the enthusiasts who've been converted from lambos and ferraris and car guys like chris harris who say the way it drives feels more special than the new 911 turbo.

The GTR is not what people who can't afford a real supercar buy, that car is irrefutably the M3.
Hey to each his own... but I completely disagree.

The GT-R is fast, I've spent plenty of time in them. And FWIW, I'd rather drive it then a 2 or 3 year old 911 Turbo, for the money..

But the GT-R is a Nissan....and the interior and fit and finish blows. The knobs suck- the interior is plasticy.. the stereo completely blows....
I'm surpised nobody has mentioned this.
It's fast as hell - no doubt about that, but that's about it, IMO

I could have bought the GT-R, but I chose the M3 for the overall quality and refinement of the car and the fact that the 6MT with the right mods is a truly fun vehicle to drive. I enjoy little things like the interior, the technology, the headlights, the stereo, the wheel, etc, etc

I know my buddy that has 40k on his GT-R loved the M3. (he missed the stick) They're definitely in the same league IMO - just in different ways.

Last edited by Wes Howell; 02-16-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #54
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
cwidjojo's Avatar
8
Rep
346
Posts

 
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indonesia/San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Hey to each his own... but I completely disagree.

The GT-R is fast, I've spent plenty of time in them. And FWIW, I'd rather drive it then a 2 or 3 year old 911 Turbo, for the money..

But the GT-R is a Nissan....and the interior and fit and finish blows. The knobs suck- the interior is plasticy.. the stereo completely blows....
I'm surpised nobody has mentioned this.
It's fast as hell - no doubt about that, but that's about it, IMO

I could have bought the GT-R, but I chose the M3 for the overall quality and refinement of the car and the fact that the 6MT with the right mods is a truly fun vehicle to drive. I enjoy little things like the interior, the technology, the headlights, the stereo, the wheel, etc, etc

I know my buddy that has 40k on his GT-R loved the M3. (he missed the stick) They're definitely in the same league IMO - just in different ways.
seriously? its a bose...

and i personally think the exterior of the GTR is flawless, including the headlights... the interior, i agree - it LOOKS a bit plasticky (coming from a guy whos never been in one). plus i'd assume the technology like the nav n screen should be way more advanced and better than the idrive considering that its japanese! (watch top gear when JC tested the GTR) not to mention the designer group is that who designed sony's gran turismo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #55
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
21
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
What I dont get is why nissan didnt offer a manual option? I know dct's shift faster than people but i prefer to be more involved with the driving experience. If they had a 6-spd manual i most likely would have got one over my M3 for it's shear abilities with AWD and a stick. But I jumped back to M3 from a S5 becuase Audi didn't offer stick for RS-5 too.

Oh well.
Because it's a Nissan and they don't know how to make manual transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #56
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
HERES WHAT I DONt GET

why are people comparing 911, gt3, or an R8 FAWK the GTR cost around used to new 60k-90k if your getting a 2012.... and the other cars i mentioned cost way over 100k its no brainer the reason why people prefer the GTR is because of MONEY.... they want to get the most out of your buck....


Please PLEASE dont compare these cars...

if money wasnt an issue for the OP which i bet it does (not saying you cant afford it but praticallity wise) is the reason why most of us chose the m3 cause budget just not there.

tell me this if you got money to play around with.. ill tell you i would not get an M3 or a GTR ill go straight for the GT2, GT3 RS or other cars that is valued around 160k+


OH HERES ANOTHER THING I DONT GET....

SO WHAT IF IT IS A NISSAN... FAWK its the best car all around for the price... so you mean to say cause its NISSAN its a piece of shit... fawk ill drive the GTR over an M3 anytime... and now people think they are ballers cause they drive a BMW? FAWK THAT... wake up its not about brand... its about performance....

i drive an M3 cause its what i think its the best for my needs if only i can get the deal i want or even afford a GTR which i can but its just not practical for me with specially your married and with kids... just not in my budget
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #57
scheherazade
Major
17
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area

iTrader: (8)

I know some people like to bash the GTR's plastic interior bits...

Just keep in mind, porsche and ferrari aren't exactly much better.

911 : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


458 : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


GTR : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


It's all cheap looking.
Plastic knobs, plastic air vents, plastic dash, plastic all over.

If you're looking for inlaid stained wood with brushed aluminum knobs/vents and some branded or quilted leather AND you want the car to be fast - you're not gonna find it in this price bracket.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
7
Rep
432
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
I know some people like to bash the GTR's plastic interior bits...

Just keep in mind, porsche and ferrari aren't exactly much better.

911 : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


458 : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


GTR : Gray plastic + gray carpet + leather


It's all cheap looking.
Plastic knobs, plastic air vents, plastic dash, plastic all over.

If you're looking for inlaid stained wood with brushed aluminum knobs/vents and some branded or quilted leather AND you want the car to be fast - you're not gonna find it in this price bracket.

-scheherazade
The 911 interior in your picture is actually cocoa and not gray.

While I am a huge fan of the GT-R and have a 2012 on order I will say that the interior is not as nice as a 911 with full leather (like the one in your picture) or the 458. I have been inside all three cars and even owned an '09 911 C2S and 2011 GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #59
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
18
Rep
1,113
Posts

 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
I know some people like to bash the GTR's plastic interior bits...

It's all cheap looking.
Plastic knobs, plastic air vents, plastic dash, plastic all over.

If you're looking for inlaid stained wood with brushed aluminum knobs/vents and some branded or quilted leather AND you want the car to be fast - you're not gonna find it in this price bracket.

-scheherazade
No disrespect, but I drove the GT-R, LP640, 458 and Scud back to back last month and the interiors were not close. The 458 was by far the nicest of them with great materials and attention to detail.

I actually thought the GT-R was pretty good, especially considering the price point. The performance was remarkable and has to be the best bang for the buck available today.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #60
BBCar
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: RDX
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

i actually never liked GTR's exterior, especially the new one with the LED DRLs. But I do like the numbers they put out!! it's truly a no-brainer buy for someone on a limited budget such as myself in a decade (piggy bank saving starts now!)

I do recall seeing many more GTR's on craigslist than M3's in BC...too bad i'm not into used cars, or i'd totally bargain and get one
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #61
991GT3
Captain
991GT3's Avatar
19
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCar View Post
i actually never liked GTR's exterior, especially the new one with the LED DRLs. But I do like the numbers they put out!! it's truly a no-brainer buy for someone on a limited budget such as myself in a decade (piggy bank saving starts now!)

I do recall seeing many more GTR's on craigslist than M3's in BC...too bad i'm not into used cars, or i'd totally bargain and get one


Thats weird. There are only about 4000 GTRs in the US and nearly 10 times as many current gen M3s.
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #62
BBCar
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: RDX
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

I think part of the problem is that some of those 4000 ended up in Canada. Also, the market up north seems very different from the south. That was also a while ago when I checked. Maybe it's different now.

Btw, you can buy a 2012 gtr here with m3's price there. Crazy huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
Thats weird. There are only about 4000 GTRs in the US and nearly 10 times as many current gen M3s.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #63
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
23
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCar View Post
I think part of the problem is that some of those 4000 ended up in Canada. Also, the market up north seems very different from the south. That was also a while ago when I checked. Maybe it's different now.

Btw, you can buy a 2012 gtr here with m3's price there. Crazy huh?!
What?? In SoCal, 2012's price still $90k+
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #64
BBCar
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: RDX
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
What?? In SoCal, 2012's price still $90k+
so are the e92 M3's up north, especially if you consider the currency exchange rate
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #65
crackberry
Major
crackberry's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
1,003
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: southern california

iTrader: (0)

i cant believe this car beats almost every p car and f car out there. what a bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #66
991GT3
Captain
991GT3's Avatar
19
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCar View Post
I think part of the problem is that some of those 4000 ended up in Canada. Also, the market up north seems very different from the south. That was also a while ago when I checked. Maybe it's different now.

Btw, you can buy a 2012 gtr here with m3's price there. Crazy huh?!


That is crazy. The sticker on mine was $91,830 and I didn't even get the black edition for another $6000(because my dealer didn't have an allocation).
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST