BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #441
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
 
NYCGP's Avatar
 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle

Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post


Mayhew has done well so far in the drafts, using his "best available regardless of position" methods, but now that the Lions don't have as many gaps to fill, he's going to have to jockey for spots to get the best guys for those gaps, trade up or trade down depending on whether there's no one at our spot that we need, or to get our guys earlier in the round. Keep in mind, he's also excelled in FA, and there are a lot of stellar players left, and the Lions have plenty of cap room.

We'll see. This off-season will be interesting and for once it's not because we're all trying to figure out who the Lions are going to nab with their top5 pick!
This only works if you are prepared to trade the player for the position you wind up needing to fill. You can't keep drafting WRs... *cough* *cough* ...
__________________
"It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."
-André Gide
NYCGP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #442
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
This only works if you are prepared to trade the player for the position you wind up needing to fill. You can't keep drafting WRs... *cough* *cough* ...
Fucking Millen. What a failure. And although he did draft some highly touted prospects, he definitely did not always draft the best player available. Remember the Mike Williams pick? He was probably the only person on the planet that thought Williams would be worth a damn.

It also works well if you have a million "needs". That way, you don't have to get rid of anyone valuable in order to get a good player at that position. The Lions had a million needs a year or two ago, but now that they don't, they're going to have to change their strategy.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #443
007MCoupe
Major
 
007MCoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side of the road
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Livin' life

Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Fucking Millen. What a failure. And although he did draft some highly touted prospects, he definitely did not always draft the best player available. Remember the Mike Williams pick? He was probably the only person on the planet that thought Williams would be worth a damn.

It also works well if you have a million "needs". That way, you don't have to get rid of anyone valuable in order to get a good player at that position. The Lions had a million needs a year or two ago, but now that they don't, they're going to have to change their strategy.
oh man. i remember watching the drafts just to see who Millen was going to pick. Mayhew (i'm guessing he's the GM? IDK much about the Lions) has done well with what he was given and has turned that franchise for the better. I remember the Roy Williams trade. I was deployed and all the Cowboy fans were livid while the few Lions fans felt it was like winning the Super Bowl! haha

The Lions are one of those teams I can see doign really well in the upcoming years, but never *quite* getting there, much like the Texans in our division. Not knowing much about them as a franchise and being on the outside looking in...I'd say their needs are a shut down corner (like you said, Prince would be amazing here) and IMO a DE or 2. Van den Bosch is getting old but he's not quite at that age that he can't still contribute but getting there.

$0.02
__________________
GoMiniGo///VB3///75mm wheel studs///Stubby///Aero bumper///GC front ARB///Pin pulled & Turner Camber Shims///Superflex FCAB///Powerflex RTAB///RE shock mounts///ECS 2-pc front rotors///Akebono pads///CSL headers///DKF catless Section 1///AKG Engine & Trans Mounts///SS brake lines///RPI scoop
007MCoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #444
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
oh man. i remember watching the drafts just to see who Millen was going to pick. Mayhew (i'm guessing he's the GM? IDK much about the Lions) has done well with what he was given and has turned that franchise for the better. I remember the Roy Williams trade. I was deployed and all the Cowboy fans were livid while the few Lions fans felt it was like winning the Super Bowl! haha

The Lions are one of those teams I can see doign really well in the upcoming years, but never *quite* getting there, much like the Texans in our division. Not knowing much about them as a franchise and being on the outside looking in...I'd say their needs are a shut down corner (like you said, Prince would be amazing here) and IMO a DE or 2. Van den Bosch is getting old but he's not quite at that age that he can't still contribute but getting there.

$0.02
Yeah Millen was mentally challenged, to say the least. Now I see him on TV as a commentator for football games, and it makes no sense. If you've been the worst failure in the history of an industry (no one has put together a string of failure in the NFL nearly as bad as his reign), then how the hell are you still allowed to be a public liaison and supposed "expert" within that same industry???

Yeah getting rid of Roy Williams was good for us. The dude had monster talent - when he decided to give effort. Unfortunately, that wasn't too often, and he wasn't an extremely positive figure in the locker room. Dude could play football, but when you've got Megatron behind him, there's no need for him anymore.

If we need a DE, it would be a DE that can come in on running downs, nothing more. I don't even know if we need that. I believe Avril (who is only 24 btw) is actually doing well now that there are good DT's on that line too. He's playing to his potential. I'm pretty sure he led the team in sacks this year, and much like Suh, could be found chasing people down after they broke through the line of scrimmage. He's starter material for sure, not just by Lions standards, but by NFL standards period.... Let's not forget that McBride (25) came in for Vanden Bosch towards the end of the year and showed he's no slouch either. He makes a great platoon DE, and if he develops a bit more, he could definitely be a starter. We are very solid on the D line, especially at DE. Now, if we could only do something about Williams jumping offsides on an average of more than once a game....

We need at least one solid LB. Julian Peterson sucks in a scheme where he never blitzes (which ours is considering the pressure the front four gets), Levy (23) can be good, but I think he tires out trying to chase people who the current OLBs missed. Carpenter (27) could be great on running downs, but he's not the quickest guy. Other LB's on the roster would be Dizon (22), Palmer (24), and Follett (23), among others. There's room to develop there, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of these guys stepped up. That just leaves one OLB spot to fill. That, and getting a shut down corner in a secondary with Delmas (23), Spievey (please gain some fucking weight and learn to tackle if you're gonna play safety, 22), Houston (26) or Smith (better learn to fucking tackle too, 25).

Get a veteran LB and a shutdown corner, and that defense is sick. For a long time to come assuming it doesn't cause cap problems (which it definitely will).
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #445
007MCoupe
Major
 
007MCoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side of the road
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Livin' life

Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
words
yeah like i said, i don't much about the lions. I know they have a decent defense, just need a few key players/positions to fill.


For the colts it's almost the same. LB and CB. it seems every year people want a DT. I don't care about that if we had a good MLB.
__________________
GoMiniGo///VB3///75mm wheel studs///Stubby///Aero bumper///GC front ARB///Pin pulled & Turner Camber Shims///Superflex FCAB///Powerflex RTAB///RE shock mounts///ECS 2-pc front rotors///Akebono pads///CSL headers///DKF catless Section 1///AKG Engine & Trans Mounts///SS brake lines///RPI scoop
007MCoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #446
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
yeah like i said, i don't much about the lions. I know they have a decent defense, just need a few key players/positions to fill.


For the colts it's almost the same. LB and CB. it seems every year people want a DT. I don't care about that if we had a good MLB.
Great DT's disrupt the running game and are crucial in the 3rd and short or 4th and short situations. It's key to get that push and penitration (no homo), and those are sometimes the most important plays of the game.

In the NFL, you can get by with a so-so DT and not really get burned by it. But if you get really good ones, they definitely make an impact.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #447
007MCoupe
Major
 
007MCoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side of the road
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Livin' life

Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Great DT's disrupt the running game and are crucial in the 3rd and short or 4th and short situations. It's key to get that push and penitration (no homo), and those are sometimes the most important plays of the game.

In the NFL, you can get by with a so-so DT and not really get burned by it. But if you get really good ones, they definitely make an impact.
well i've accepted that polian will never use a 1st rd pick on a DT/OL ever. he tries to build through the draft and it's next player up...but before 3 yrs ago we had friggin DE's playing DT (Raheim Brock anyone?). seriously. lol I hate it sometimes.

Really...all we need is Dom Capers. lol
__________________
GoMiniGo///VB3///75mm wheel studs///Stubby///Aero bumper///GC front ARB///Pin pulled & Turner Camber Shims///Superflex FCAB///Powerflex RTAB///RE shock mounts///ECS 2-pc front rotors///Akebono pads///CSL headers///DKF catless Section 1///AKG Engine & Trans Mounts///SS brake lines///RPI scoop
007MCoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST