BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Dave1967
Registered
 
Drives: Black e93 cab 330i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: uk

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

E92 M3 Running costs.

Hi all intersted in the running cost of a m3. all i want to know is the servicing cost and the price of disc and pads. I owned an e46 m3 about 5yrs ago and i have been told the E93 is cheaper to run. since then i have owned a X5 3.0D which i had Remapped, a E92 335d also remapped and my current bmw is a
E93 vert which is not remapped.Also how long do disc and pads last with normal driving. cheers all
Dave1967 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
bej
Private
 
bej's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Conv DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

front and rear discs and pads standard oem came in at just over 1,900 with a little help from Anneka@Sytner....did look at alternatives but decided to stick with standard set up.

changed at 27k although this was accelerated by not allowing them to cool down properly after a few laps at snetterton...

would suggest that the costs of discs and pads isn't the only cost factor to bear in mind....insurance fuel....etc....mod bug....which is apparent too...
__________________
M3 Convertible 2008, Jerez Black with individual orange peel effect (factory standard), Fox Red, DCT, EDC, High gloss, carbon leather, comfort access, Logic 7, adaptive headlights, Tubi Rumore, 20" BBS CX-R, 19" OEM and 18" OEM with Winter Tyres....investments in BP/Shell
bej is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
335ier
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: england

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

[quote=bej;8834046]front and rear discs and pads standard oem came in at just over 1,900 with a little help from Anneka@Sytner....did look at alternatives but decided to stick with standard set up.
QUOTE]

UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hells bells 1,900 for discs and pads? flipin ek! robin bastards. the standard set up isnt worth that sort of money, was this price fitted?
335ier is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
bej
Private
 
bej's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Conv DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

[quote=335ier;8834763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bej View Post
front and rear discs and pads standard oem came in at just over 1,900 with a little help from Anneka@Sytner....did look at alternatives but decided to stick with standard set up.
QUOTE]

UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hells bells 1,900 for discs and pads? flipin ek! robin bastards. the standard set up isnt worth that sort of money, was this price fitted?
oops...yeah my mistake - here is my original post.....should have said 1,200.....

Just had my discs and pads done all round by Sytner Sunningdales...thru Anneka - 1,200 all round..front and rear good for another 34k miles but definitely not another track day....

couldn't get any other dealers' close to this price....even though they were advertising various 10% off parts....

Thanks Anneka!!!!

one gripe though is the obc which also told me I needed an oil service...what the obc doesn't tell you though is when plugged into the service desk computer, that it was also the recommended time for spark plugs change and changing the oil in the m's rear axle differential..

OIL - wasn't cheap - only saw the opie oils offer on the day - COST 148+VAT
MICROFILTER - 95 + VAT
REAR AXLE DIFF OIL SERVICE - 92 + VAT
SPARK PLUG CHANGE - 241 + VAT ????!!!??? - 8 plugs at 15 each + 140 labour....

- so all in a cool 1900...that was a surprise...
__________________
M3 Convertible 2008, Jerez Black with individual orange peel effect (factory standard), Fox Red, DCT, EDC, High gloss, carbon leather, comfort access, Logic 7, adaptive headlights, Tubi Rumore, 20" BBS CX-R, 19" OEM and 18" OEM with Winter Tyres....investments in BP/Shell
bej is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
335ier
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: england

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

[quote=bej;8834820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post

oops...yeah my mistake - here is my original post.....should have said 1,200.....

Just had my discs and pads done all round by Sytner Sunningdales...thru Anneka - 1,200 all round..front and rear good for another 34k miles but definitely not another track day....

couldn't get any other dealers' close to this price....even though they were advertising various 10% off parts....

Thanks Anneka!!!!

one gripe though is the obc which also told me I needed an oil service...what the obc doesn't tell you though is when plugged into the service desk computer, that it was also the recommended time for spark plugs change and changing the oil in the m's rear axle differential..

OIL - wasn't cheap - only saw the opie oils offer on the day - COST 148+VAT
MICROFILTER - 95 + VAT
REAR AXLE DIFF OIL SERVICE - 92 + VAT
SPARK PLUG CHANGE - 241 + VAT ????!!!??? - 8 plugs at 15 each + 140 labour....

- so all in a cool 1900...that was a surprise...
Yeah I bet!! very ouch for what it is, I was doing this sort of work when I was 13!! So clearly it isn't difficult. They just rob us blind because they can. Sad really.
335ier is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
ed335d
Major General
 
ed335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Surrey, UK

Posts: 6,897
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
I've had mine for nearly a year now.

Had the 3rd oil service in September last year, which cost 700 (but did include plugs plus all the fluids and vehicle inspection). Tax is 435, insurance (for me) 700, tracker 150, now need warranty as the car is now near the end of AUC, so 70ish per month.

Bought mine with 15k on the clock, have done 18k since and still showing 10k miles until the brakes need changing (I think that I still have the original ones on!). That sort of mileage equates to about 5.5k in fuel, averaging just over 20mpg (I do quite a lot of motorway miles).

Also invested 1.3k in a second set of wheels plus winter tyres!
__________________
E92 M3, Jerez Black, Fox Red Novillo, 19'' M Double Spoke, folding mirrors, lumbar support, front seat heating, PDC, USB, DAB, EDC, Bluetooth, Logic 7, High Gloss Shadowline, big smile
ed335d is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Major General
 
creepy coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 8,078
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Dave. I don't know if you will be buying a new car, but you might want to consider the BMW Inclusive pack. For 1k you get

Oil service

- Oil top-ups between services

- Vehicle-check and standard inspections

- Micro filter

- Renew spark plugs

- Renew brake fluid
creepy coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Dave1967
Registered
 
Drives: Black e93 cab 330i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: uk

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Hi thanks for the replies...No i wont be buying new i have got one in my sights its a 2008e92 with 26k on the clock and a bmw dealers,its up at 34k with all the toys.Going for a test drive next week.So i take it from some of the posts, the OBC will tell you when you need pads and discs, this is my only really concern as the car will always have a warranty and mpg is`nt really an issue.
Dave1967 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
dar2008
Major
 
Drives: e93 M3 Convertible!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bromley, UK

Posts: 1,018
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1967 View Post
Hi thanks for the replies...No i wont be buying new i have got one in my sights its a 2008e92 with 26k on the clock and a bmw dealers,its up at 34k with all the toys.Going for a test drive next week.So i take it from some of the posts, the OBC will tell you when you need pads and discs, this is my only really concern as the car will always have a warranty and mpg is`nt really an issue.
Might be worth checking if it's got the updated (hard disc based) iDrive,... an 08 plate probably hasn't but a 58 might. If it hasn't I would suggest holding out for a slightly new model.
__________________
It's arrived, e93 M3 Convertible: M-DCT, JzB / extended BB, and most of the options.
dar2008 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Major General
 
creepy coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 8,078
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Might be worth checking if it's got the updated (hard disc based) iDrive,... an 08 plate probably hasn't but a 58 might. If it hasn't I would suggest holding out for a slightly new model.

Easily definable be the type of Knob it has

And agree, well worth getting.
creepy coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Dave1967
Registered
 
Drives: Black e93 cab 330i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: uk

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Hi all.....Now this one is new to me, whats the difference between the updated hard disc idrive and the orginal idrive...is this a major concern as a 58 plate will be at least another 2.5k-3k extra....May well just say stuff it and get another 335i vert and remap it.What do you all think?
Dave1967 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
creepy coupe
Major General
 
creepy coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 8,078
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1967 View Post
Hi all.....Now this one is new to me, whats the difference between the updated hard disc idrive and the orginal idrive...is this a major concern as a 58 plate will be at least another 2.5k-3k extra....May well just say stuff it and get another 335i vert and remap it.What do you all think?
Original idrive used DVD discs for the maps, the new has a hard drive and stores nav data on that, which is much faster

You can also store music files on, and it has a larger nav screen, also the idrive controller has fast access buttons around it and is much easier you navigate
creepy coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
 
jonasaurus's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 3,094
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Easily definable be the type of Knob it has

And agree, well worth getting.
bwahaha.. check the knob
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
jonasaurus is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Ant Man
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia

Posts: 1,019
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1967 View Post
Hi all.....Now this one is new to me, whats the difference between the updated hard disc idrive and the orginal idrive...is this a major concern as a 58 plate will be at least another 2.5k-3k extra....May well just say stuff it and get another 335i vert and remap it.What do you all think?

Not all 58 plates were 2009 models, so be aware. Also the surround of the starter button and central air vents was changed too. But who cares

I've had experience of both versions of the idrive / sat nav. Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the car didn't have the newer spec version.

Once can put the saving towards tyres, fuel, insurance, servicing etc.
Ant Man is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
creepy coupe
Major General
 
creepy coupe's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 8,078
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Also the later version has a night screen for the nav, earlier versions only allow dimming of the screen, which also dims the instruments.
creepy coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
///Mike135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: E82 M 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berkshire, England

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

I am also considering a swap. I was thinking of trading my AW 59 plate 135i for a 57 plate E92 M3 with all the key options. The idrive on my 135 with google maps and high res screen is superb. The fact that the M3 I am looking at does not have this is the only thing putting me off. Fuel ecomomy isn't much different, I can only get 24.1 out of my 1er and I live on the motorway.

I just think I want to own some V8 lovelyness before I miss the opportunity. Looking at the new M3 due out it seems to be using the same engine as my 135 but with a serious power hike to 450bhp. I love the bi turbo but you can't beat some NA brute force.

I will be watching this thread as the running costs also appear to be much higher on the M3 than mine. I have done 28K miles from new and its cost me 205 in servicing so far plus a few sets of rubber but thats it.
///Mike135i is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1967 View Post
Hi all intersted in the running cost of a m3. all i want to know is the servicing cost and the price of disc and pads. I owned an e46 m3 about 5yrs ago and i have been told the E93 is cheaper to run. since then i have owned a X5 3.0D which i had Remapped, a E92 335d also remapped and my current bmw is a
E93 vert which is not remapped.Also how long do disc and pads last with normal driving. cheers all
Running costs are like asking a hooker for a handjob. If you have to ask, you cant afford it
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike135i View Post
I am also considering a swap. I was thinking of trading my AW 59 plate 135i for a 57 plate E92 M3 with all the key options. The idrive on my 135 with google maps and high res screen is superb. The fact that the M3 I am looking at does not have this is the only thing putting me off. Fuel ecomomy isn't much different, I can only get 24.1 out of my 1er and I live on the motorway.

I just think I want to own some V8 lovelyness before I miss the opportunity. Looking at the new M3 due out it seems to be using the same engine as my 135 but with a serious power hike to 450bhp. I love the bi turbo but you can't beat some NA brute force.

I will be watching this thread as the running costs also appear to be much higher on the M3 than mine. I have done 28K miles from new and its cost me 205 in servicing so far plus a few sets of rubber but thats it.
get a sep 59 M3 model (has new idrive), fuel is around 16-7mpg town driving,
and you'll spent more than 205 just on the first oil/running in service alone!!!
a set or tyres will cost you around 1k (if you shop around on the net ).
and when you are used to the V8 ...you will want a V10
also 414-450 is not a "serious" power hike in terms of actual performance wise (you'll need at least 100 more ).

Last edited by hugehead; 02-07-2011 at 07:01 AM.
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #19
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Running costs are like asking a hooker for a handjob. If you have to ask, you cant afford it
love its m8
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
///Mike135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: E82 M 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berkshire, England

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
get a sep 59 M3 model (has new idrive), fuel is around 16-7mpg town driving,
and you'll spent more than 205 just on the first oil/running in service alone!!!
a set or tyres will cost you around 1k (if you shop around on the net ).
and when you are used to the V8 ...you will want a V10


I hear you on the idrive front but I would need to find an extra 10K for a 59 plate just to have this option.

My car has 28K on the clock and the M3 I have seen only has 25K. I am only 16 months into my ownership of the 135 so wasn't really looking to change but this particular car caught my eye as its fully loaded with low miles and a low price given its a private sale.

Fuel isn't really an issue as I have a fuel card for private and business, its just means I will be paying a little more through taxation.

Tyres at a grand I can live with, my 135 rubber costs me almost 900. Servicing and insurance is a fair bit more but then its the last of the NA M cars and I would like to own one before the new model is released.

I have owned numerous E36 M3s over the years and still have one as a track car. The 135 is an astounding little car and I am not wanting to change through boredom or unhappiness with it. I should really keep it but it just doesn't deliver the raw thrills of an M car. I does pretty well at providing pseudo thrills though, the mid range performance is epic and always puts a smile on my face. It doesn't sound bad either but its doesn't deliver the scream that I am used to in M cars where the harder you push the more frantic and noisy the whole experience becomes.
///Mike135i is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #21
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Mike135i....you really want a supercharged M3, now that will defo thrill you (guaranteed).
the build quailty will be much better in the M3 compared to the 135i though , so it a good choice
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
///Mike135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: E82 M 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berkshire, England

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
Mike135i....you really want a supercharged M3, now that will defo thrill you (guaranteed).
Stop that right away! ;-)

Couldn't do 30K a year in a charged M3, the running costs would be redicularse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
the build quailty will be much better in the M3 compared to the 135i though , so it a good choice
How so? Many of the interior bits are the same etc.

I think the build quality of the 135 is superb. When you get underneath one the majority of it is aluminium and looks great.

The M parts might be stronger in order to withstand more of a beating but I wouldn't have thought they are manufactured to a higher quality. I may of wrong.

Having driven many e9*s, albiet not an M3, I think they are very comparable. The little 1er feels just as planted on the motorway and does not feel like a smaller car. TBH its only a few inches smaller than an E90 and not a lot different in terms of weight.

Its a massive decision to take on as I have never loved a car like I love my little 1er. It rides incredibly well, goes like a scolded rat when I need it too and in contrast will happily cruise around sedately when I might have a client in the car etc.

The only gripe I have is the throttle response is no where near as sharp as an M car and you have to really concentrate to drive it smoothly as half throttle isn't that much different to full throttle when its on boost (all of the time). It honestly needs another gear on the Motorway. 6th doesn't really feel like a cruising gear. If you go anywhere near the throttle in 6th on the motorway it still surges forward as if you have just poked it in the balls with a big stick. As much as this can be an annoyance with people in the car, when I am on my own I love it.

Hmmm, still thinking......
///Mike135i is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST