BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental)

Mporium BMW

10-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Help in Munich, DE

I'm taking a European delivery near the end of December. Can someone in munich help me get some winter tires there? Recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

COntact the BMW Welt. A few blocks down they have a HUGE tire + wheel center. They even offer to rent you tires during the time of your stay! Or ask your CA.
Either or, have FUN!!!!
      10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'll be picking up a fully equipped e90 m3

I'm staying for about 4 weeks and driving through germany and poland visiting some family.
I know renting is an option but it's very expensive (more so for my e90 m3) and I'm just exploring options. For the rental I'd pay in europe I can have a new set of wheels and winter tires in the usa. If I have to rent, then I will but I'm just trying to make the most out of this as possible.

Here are some ideals I've come up with
1. bring a set with me as check in luggage - 4 of us will be flying out and I've got frequent flyer status so I can check in multiples. The wheels just fit the 50lb max and 62in total dimensions - W + L + H. (26in dia, 10in width). I've got a set of tire totes easily put handles on the wheels. yeah it's going to be a total pain, but it's a possibility

2. loan a set from someone in munich - who may have a spare set - of course I'll pay for it. Paying someone personally will definitely be cheaper

3. work with someone in munich who would be willing to go in together to pay for part of a set in germany and then afterwards, I'd just leave the set with them.

These are just some ideas - thats the whole point of a forum right? discuss and come up with ideas.

By the way the e90's need at least an 18in wheel. Even some 18's don't fit. What a pain.

What do you think? Any ideas?
David
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Buy some, simple as that....

or...at first why be so worried about it. If your renting a vehicle I would think they would put on the correct tires or have yuo sign something saying you understand what your doing...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I've done a lot of traveling in my day, but seeing someone check in a complete set of tires is a new one
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I've done a lot of traveling in my day, but seeing someone check in a complete set of tires is a new one
Why not a first? If I do, I'll take some pictures
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Sorry Sir... we seem to have lost one of your "check'd" wheels! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
bryan292009
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 W/ ZCP, ZPP, ZCW

Ok, first question did you order the 19s? or 18s? You can get a contact address of some one and only mail the properly sized tires and have them installed once you arrive. That would be the cheapest alternative. Do you have a solid date yet on your arrival in Munich? I live in Schweinfurt it is about 2 hours north of Munich. I am stationed there and own a E90 M3. I would like to help you I know how expensive tires and rims in DE are. I have not been to BMW World yet and this would give me an excuse to get out of the house and get to BMW World
      11-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan292009 View Post
Ok, first question did you order the 19s? or 18s? You can get a contact address of some one and only mail the properly sized tires and have them installed once you arrive. That would be the cheapest alternative. Do you have a solid date yet on your arrival in Munich? I live in Schweinfurt it is about 2 hours north of Munich. I am stationed there and own a E90 M3. I would like to help you I know how expensive tires and rims in DE are. I have not been to BMW World yet and this would give me an excuse to get out of the house and get to BMW World
Bryan you're awesome! I was hoping for someone like who is local and can help out. I'd even be willing to get the rubber in DE, use it for one week and sell to you inexpensively. Then the residual value of the tires could still be benefited by an owner instead of a rental company.

My delivery date is set on 1/3/2011. I will be in Germany from 1/1-1/11. So I'll actually be on these wheels for one week instead of four weeks.
I will have 19in ZCP wheels (y spoke 9x19 and 10x19).

If I mail the tires I'd probably still have to pay tax on them. Tire rack has blizzaks (235 and 255 staggered) for $1050 without shipping and tax. If I had 18's it's about $200 less.

I'm still looking at the possibility of a square 18in set (about $1550 from tirerack shipped in usa) to check in but again thats for last resort because it's going to be a pain.

I'll PM you my email and number
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

HUGE thanks to bryan who met me in frankfurt and helped me with my winters! Had a great time talking shop that evening!

I put over 2000 miles in 6 days while I was in germany. It was awesome.

Now the car is on the way to the states and I can't wait!
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=SLKQ
Appreciate 0