BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jay View Post
Well he's gone, while I love the explosive offense his lack of attention to recruit more defensive players sickened me, GOOD RIDDANCE. If anyone watched the presser Brandon made it very clear that a lot of paper will be thrown at a big name coach. Harbaugh is meeting with the niners today, IMHO he is playing a game of who is gonna pay me? Offer from UM is rumored to be 5.2mill a year which is outlandish but he is worth it. The way I see it no way Brandon doesn't have someone lined up, I think it was a ploy at the presser saying the search starts now you don't fire a coach and not have 2 viable candidates lined up, I think RR's firing was put into play after the loss to the "Tattoo Crew" and Chewy I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with you because I very much respect OSU, now if you were a Penn St fan then it would be open season on you ass.

Here are my top 5 candidates
1. Harbaugh
2. Patterson from TCU
3. Fitzgerald from NW
4. Miles
5. Peterson from Boise St
Hey, I respect UM, which is why I think it's good Rich Rod is gone... but it doesn't mean I have to like 'em

I personally don't think Harbaugh will come to UM. The other coaches on your list are excellent choices as well, but I don't think UM will choose a coach who isn't from the family.

Btw, how can you not like JoePa? That guy is surprisingly uber tiny in real life
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Hey, I respect UM, which is why I think it's good Rich Rod is gone... but it doesn't mean I have to like 'em

I personally don't think Harbaugh will come to UM. The other coaches on your list are excellent choices as well, but I don't think UM will choose a coach who isn't from the family.

Btw, how can you not like JoePa? That guy is surprisingly uber tiny in real life
Two of the most important things to keep in mind:

1) Bo wasn't part of the family.

2) Most important excerpt from Brandon's speech: "There’s a thought of getting a defensive-minded everything. I want the ball boys to be defensive-minded." Goddamn can I get a hallelujah!

I think Brandon will get a good candidate. They don't have to be the most "talented" coaches in the world, they just have to be able to "fit" the program and be able to recruit the type of players Michigan is used to. FFS we had an NFL pipeline going on under Moeller and Carr, why can't we get those players anymore? In a wintry state, you have to be able to produce proof that you give guys a shot at playing on Sunday. Fraudriguez and his system don't do that. It's a must at Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

good luck with Hoke.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #26
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
good luck with Hoke.
I'm sure he'll be fine.

There was nothing electrifying or outstanding about the predecessors of Dick Rod either. They just knew what it took to make a team work at Michigan. Hoke knows this too. He was out on the recruiting circuits back when he was a D-line coach at Michigan, and has been part of a national championship mentality team (along with a 5-3 record against OSU during his time there).

The most important thing about him is that this is his "end game". Unlike Harbaugh, who would have left after a couple years (a few if we were lucky), he is there and we don't have to worry about him going anywhere. This is where he wants to be, and he understands how everything works at Michigan.

I'm looking forward to the future. It's gonna be rough for a year or two (thanks Fraudriguez, you defensive recruiting genius!), but it won't be too long before the UofM-OSU rivalry is reinstated to its proper level of intensity.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
good luck with Hoke.
Hoke is a great choice. A low profile name. It's the equivalent of Ohio St. hiring Tressel. Great choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
163
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Hoke is a great choice. A low profile name. It's the equivalent of Ohio St. hiring Tressel. Great choice.
Except for the fact that Tressel was a proven winner and had multiple Division 1-AA championships under his belt before Ohio State considered him.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #29
ghosthi32
Banned
25
Rep
2,516
Posts

 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Except for the fact that Tressel was a proven winner and had multiple Division 1-AA championships under his belt before Ohio State considered him.
blah blah blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Except for the fact that Tressel was a proven winner and had multiple Division 1-AA championships under his belt before Ohio State considered him.
Agreed. But Hoke was at Michigan for the NC team and some great years. He was an integral part of the coaching staff at the time. He knows what winning is, and he knows what winning is at Michigan. He knows how the recruiting circuit is for that school, and he's beaten that path already on the defensive side of the ball, which is what we need the most.

You don't have to be a genius at Michigan. You just have to not be an idiot at recruiting, emphasize fundamentals and discipline, and have a sound understanding of what it takes to win a big football game in the Big10. The biggest part of winning is defense, and he gets that.

I'm glad they went with Hoke. Others can say what they want about his record as a head coach (keep in mind exactly how shitty the two teams were when he took them over), but IMO he has the best credentials out of all of the candidates.

1) Most importantly, Michigan is his end game
2) He's been here for a National Championship
3) He's been out on the recruiting circuit for Michigan
4) He's a defensive mind
5) Everybody is behind him; even the "naysayers" aren't saying GTFO like they did with Dick Rod.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
NFIDDY5's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
553
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buckeye Nut House

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Agreed. But Hoke was at Michigan for the NC team and some great years. He was an integral part of the coaching staff at the time. He knows what winning is, and he knows what winning is at Michigan. He knows how the recruiting circuit is for that school, and he's beaten that path already on the defensive side of the ball, which is what we need the most.

You don't have to be a genius at Michigan. You just have to not be an idiot at recruiting, emphasize fundamentals and discipline, and have a sound understanding of what it takes to win a big football game in the Big10. The biggest part of winning is defense, and he gets that.

I'm glad they went with Hoke. Others can say what they want about his record as a head coach (keep in mind exactly how shitty the two teams were when he took them over), but IMO he has the best credentials out of all of the candidates.

1) Most importantly, Michigan is his end game
2) He's been here for a National Championship
3) He's been out on the recruiting circuit for Michigan
4) He's a defensive mind
5) Everybody is behind him; even the "naysayers" aren't saying GTFO like they did with Dick Rod.
'97 championship doesn't count as a real national championship. It was shared with USC. Personally, I would love to see Michigan fail epically w/Hoke like they did w/DickRod. I am one of the few that doesn't believe the Big Ten needs a Michigan team to be strong. I wanna see them continue to lose 8-10 games a year forever and us continue to paste them by 30 every year for the next 50 years. F*ck Michigan. We loved DickRod in Columbus.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFIDDY5 View Post
'97 championship doesn't count as a real national championship. It was shared with USC. Personally, I would love to see Michigan fail epically w/Hoke like they did w/DickRod. I am one of the few that doesn't believe the Big Ten needs a Michigan team to be strong. I wanna see them continue to lose 8-10 games a year forever and us continue to paste them by 30 every year for the next 50 years. F*ck Michigan. We loved DickRod in Columbus.
Ok...

It was shared with Nebraska. We didn't get a chance to play for it, went in to the bowls #1 in both polls, won our game against a better opponent (Peyton clearly wasn't up to being in the game for Tennessee with that bum knee and it showed), and lost the AP #1 as a result of collusion to confirm the validity of the upcoming BCS system which was introduced the next year. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Hoke was there for a team that gave up 8 pts a game and took the lumber to a lot of good opponents back when the Big Ten was actually a strong conference, while producing a great number of NFL players.

Does the Big Ten need a strong Michigan to survive? No, but it would sure help. We seem to be one of the few teams who has a winning record in bowl games against the SEC in recent years, even when we include this year's shellacking at the hands of Mississippi State. I can't say every team from the Big Ten shows up against those other conferences in the big games.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #33
NFIDDY5
I bleed Scarlet and Gray!!
NFIDDY5's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
553
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buckeye Nut House

iTrader: (0)

What's Michigan's BCS record again? I don't see Hoke changing that....

P.S. its not good. So if you are trying to take a shot at tOSU about their woes against the SEC in bowl games, your should probably take a peek at your schools record first. tOSU has won more BCS games than Michigan has appeared in sir.

Last edited by NFIDDY5; 01-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #34
ghosthi32
Banned
25
Rep
2,516
Posts

 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFIDDY5 View Post
What's Michigan's BCS record again? I don't see Hoke changing that....

P.S. its not good. So if you are trying to take a shot at tOSU about their woes against the SEC in bowl games, your should probably take a peek at your schools record first. tOSU has won more BCS games than Michigan has appeared in sir.
calm down fanboi
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #35
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
calm down fanboi
LOL inorite? Way to represent OSU after we've seen plenty of civilized and knowledgable OSU fans in here engage in educated football conversation....

My point was acutally valid about how having a healthy Michigan team would help the Big Ten's reputation, as SEC is seen as top dog right now, and Michigan has a good history against the SEC. Ultimately, your conference is judged by how well it does outside its own boundaries, and seeing as how the SEC is the measuring stick, it's always helpful to do well against them at the end of the year. That's what would be good for the Big Ten, instead of getting dragged through the dirt every bowl season.... But if you can't see beyond what's good for your school, to what's good for the conference, or how that even relates to you, that's fine too.

Ever want to throw an OSU fan into a tantrum? Mention the SEC.


Although I was impressed with their showing this year. They finally didn't suck against the best conference in the nation, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
JHOOPS2's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
888
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalm18 View Post
I'm a West Virginia fan and I hate that dude!
Same here. Hate is a strong word though, but I guess if the shoe fits...
__________________
(FBO) Cobb Stage 2+, AR Downpipes, Injen DCI, AA (Sport) FMIC, ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV, Carbon fiber bits and Breyton GTS-R Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #37
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
86
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Same here. Hate is a strong word though, but I guess if the shoe fits...
He ditched his home and alma mater in the most embarrassingly classless move I've seen. You have every right to hate him. He's a dbag, through-and-through. What he did to WVU was way worse from a moral standpoint than what he did at Michigan.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST