BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
6

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 111
iTrader: (1)

F1 extinction?

With 4 cylinder engines coming, will F1 be the same? Will Flabio team up with Ferrari and create a breakaway series?

Last edited by OLEK135i; 01-23-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: misspell
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
136

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL


Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

No.

But with the way Bernie's senile ass is running it, the sport will be a ghost of what it used to be in a few short years. Too bad those muggers didn't finish the job.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
12

 
quattrosaint's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas


Posts: 554
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEK135i View Post
With 4 cylinder engines coming, will F1 be the same? Will Flabio team up with Ferrari and create a breakaway series?
These were the same discussions last year and it turned out to be the best season in history. The 4 cylinder engines will be turbo charged and have the same amount of power plus KERS will return. The smaller engines will allow for better aero (more downforce) thus more passing this season. I'll miss the f-duct and "flexable" front wings though. Go Ferrari, now we know why they were not penalized for the team orders incident....
__________________
[size="2"]335 E92 Space Gray/Coral/Aluminum/6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
860

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,160
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
NExt year we will have movable-rear wing instead...
Extinction of F1...far from it...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
11

 
JB135MDCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD


Posts: 965
iTrader: (0)

The I4T will be much harder to drive and make F1 a bit more interesting. Good news is that F1 will live and Bernie will die.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

It's probably not going to die, but I sure as hell won't pay to see and hear a turbo 4 banger. However, will continue watching it on TV while alive .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Novator
Captain
United_States
17

 
Novator's Avatar
 
Drives: '04 E46 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Beaufort, SC


Posts: 715
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.00]
I love the sound of the current F1 cars, but didn't BMW do really well they had such an engine?



__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's probably not going to die, but I sure as hell won't pay to see and hear a turbo 4 banger. However, will continue watching it on TV while alive .
It probably won't even sound that much different anyways from the current f1 cars. I can bet that this season is gonna be one if the most interesting and exiting that we have seen in many years! Go Ferrari!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
23

 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast


Posts: 1,858
iTrader: (0)

When decisions are made in split seconds... i wonder how the engineers manage to reduce the turbo lag to what must be perceptively zero lag?
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
88

 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA


Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)



The last "real" season of F1 was 2004. V10 engines. Tire changes allowed. Refueling allowed.

Since then we've seen

2005 - Tire changes banned

2006 - Tire changes re-introduced but V10 banned in favor of V8

2007-10 - V8 development frozen, innovation in F1 killed off via insane bans on track testing and wind tunnel usage, V8 further handicapped with lower and lower RPM limits, the complete disaster known as KERS, terrible aerodynamic rules that make the cars look like ass, refueling banned, manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota and BMW driven out due to the regressive direction of the sport, competition among tire manufacturers killed dead as Michelin was forced out, now Bridgestone is gone as well

And now 4 banger turbo engines, a VTEC fanboy's wet dream.

Every season F1 comes closer and closer to being a spec racing series, which is completely contrary to what the sport is supposed to be. The word "Formula" in Formula 1 refers to the "formula" that is given to the teams before the start of the season. They are given a set of rules to work in and then they are free to produce the fastest, most innovative cars they can, within those rules. Now it's going to just be a set of spec chassis, transmissions, and engines built by a single company with different sticker packages on them.

Last edited by FStop7; 01-24-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
whitejdm
Private First Class
1

 
whitejdm's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post


The last "real" season of F1 was 2004. V10 engines. Tire changes allowed. Refueling allowed.

Since then we've seen

2005 - Tire changes banned

2006 - Tire changes re-introduced but V10 banned in favor of V8

2007-10 - V8 development frozen, innovation in F1 killed off via insane bans on track testing and wind tunnel usage, V8 further handicapped with lower and lower RPM limits, the complete disaster known as KERS, terrible aerodynamic rules that make the cars look like ass, refueling banned, manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota and BMW driven out due to the regressive direction of the sport, competition among tire manufacturers killed dead as Michelin was forced out, now Bridgestone is gone as well

And now 4 banger turbo engines, a VTEC fanboy's wet dream.

Every season F1 comes closer and closer to being a spec racing series, which is completely contrary to what the sport is supposed to be. The word "Formula" in Formula 1 refers to the "formula" that is given to the teams before the start of the season. They are given a set of rules to work in and then they are free to produce the fastest, most innovative cars they can, within those rules. Now it's going to just be a set of spec chassis, transmissions, and engines built by a single company with different sticker packages on them.
First of all, how does a season where ONE driver wins 13 out of 18 races classified as a "real" F1 season?

Secondly; people are talking like we haven't seen turbos in F1 before..we have...and if you think the cars wont be as fast or sound as good I think you're in for a real shock.

And Finally; BMW, Toyota, and Honda are out of the sport because they did a quick ROI calculation and decided spending 400 million a year during a recession wasn't in the companies best interest.

P.S. VTEC fanboys would also be happier with NA power.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
80

 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT


Posts: 5,163
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
First of all, how does a season where ONE driver wins 13 out of 18 races classified as a "real" F1 season?

Secondly; people are talking like we haven't seen turbos in F1 before..we have...and if you think the cars wont be as fast or sound as good I think you're in for a real shock.

And Finally; BMW, Toyota, and Honda are out of the sport because they did a quick ROI calculation and decided spending 400 million a year during a recession wasn't in the companies best interest.

P.S. VTEC fanboys would also be happier with NA power.
This.

I really fail to see how the recent regulation changes have decreased innovation. I find just the opposite to be true as each time they've banned something, the teams have come up with some genius technology to edge out the competition. I think it's been fantastic to watch and I can't wait to see what the teams come up with this year.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
8

 
SlicktopTTZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas


Posts: 686
iTrader: (0)

OMG IT'S A FOUR CYLINDER WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!


As it has been stated, this has already happened before, and the old turbo I4's were some of the most, if not the most powerful F1 engines ever created.......

Have you guys that claim it sounds lame even heard a I4 at 70+ pounds per square inch of pressure feeding it while it climbs past 10,000RPM?

I didn't think so.......
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
whitejdm
Private First Class
1

 
whitejdm's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
OMG IT'S A FOUR CYLINDER WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!


As it has been stated, this has already happened before, and the old turbo I4's were some of the most, if not the most powerful F1 engines ever created.......

Have you guys that claim it sounds lame even heard a I4 at 70+ pounds per square inch of pressure feeding it while it climbs past 10,000RPM?

I didn't think so.......
+1
Exactly, I had the pleasure of seeing the vintage F1 support race at the montreal Gp this year and the turbo cars sounded AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
///M 4 Life
Captain
15

 
///M 4 Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Jersey


Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
OMG IT'S A FOUR CYLINDER WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!


As it has been stated, this has already happened before, and the old turbo I4's were some of the most, if not the most powerful F1 engines ever created.......

Have you guys that claim it sounds lame even heard a I4 at 70+ pounds per square inch of pressure feeding it while it climbs past 10,000RPM?

I didn't think so.......
Thank you! At least someone knows what they are talking about!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
99

 
gary88's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL


Posts: 7,989
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
F1 will keep evolving over time, it's not going anywhere and I'll still be watching.
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST