BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
gthberg
Private
 
gthberg's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3 IB/FR
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 93
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e90 M3  [0.00]
Cabin Air Filter

Anybody changed the cabin air filter yet? Bav Auto shows two different filters....one is $27 and one is $100. RealOEM shows the more expensive one as the right part number, I just wanted to make sure. Seems awful expensive for an interior air filter......

Thanks.
__________________
gthberg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,564
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Anybody changed the cabin air filter yet? Bav Auto shows two different filters....one is $27 and one is $100. RealOEM shows the more expensive one as the right part number, I just wanted to make sure. Seems awful expensive for an interior air filter......

Thanks.
Should get free under BMW Maintenance?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Seems awful expensive for an interior air filter......
Indeed. It's probably the expensive one since there're FOUR freaking filters in there; 2 on each side. They're right in front of the wipers, in case you didn't know. Most cars have it inside, behind the glove box.

I'll try to get them exchanged with the only local dealer in town, but if they refuse and want me to leave the car, I'll buy them myself. I'm about to order 2 engine air filters from AA (2 for $100), which are the stock paper element but without the charcoal restrictive layer.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,564
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Aif filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I'll try to get them exchanged with the only local dealer in town, but if they refuse and want me to leave the car, I'll buy them myself. I'm about to order 2 engine air filters from AA (2 for $100), which are the stock paper element but without the charcoal restrictive layer.
Do you have a link to a photo of the element with charcoal? Is the charcoal visible on the outside or inside? The one I just got from the dealer did not appear to have charcoal.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Do you have a link to a photo of the element with charcoal? Is the charcoal visible on the outside or inside? The one I just got from the dealer did not appear to have charcoal.
Sure don't buddy, but it looks greyish, like if it was dirty; took the plenum out when car had 1.5K miles, so it wasn't dirty from use. It's not black, like one might assume. The layer is probably sandwiched, for what I could tell.

I wouldn't put a crappy 'racing' filter even if I was paid for it, especially in this dusty area. Definitely not worth inhaling dirt to gain a HP or two at the very top of the rev band, which I rarely reach anyway. The european stock filter sold by AA (for my '08) is relatively cheap at $50. Wish I could split it with somebody else since I have to buy 2; don't know if I'll keep the car after warranty at this point. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST