BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

M3 - Dealer States 6000 miles per year max!

My dealer has stated that the values of the new M3 will be much more price sensitive to mileage than the last model. To avoid 'BIG' depreciation drops he has stated that 6000 miles per year is the maximum (rather like the 911).

Seem that after all this time, I'll be able to get an M3, but not able to drive it much

I'm really starting to wonder is it all worth while?????

Still decision day tomorrow - either I spec at 3pm or I get my deposit back.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

cheaper used M3 for meeee
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
My dealer has stated that the values of the new M3 will be much more price sensitive to mileage than the last model. To avoid 'BIG' depreciation drops he has stated that 6000 miles per year is the maximum (rather like the 911).

Seem that after all this time, I'll be able to get an M3, but not able to drive it much

That's rather speculative on his part. However, I would believe that as the price goes skyward so would the mileage sensitivity. If it's true it's unfortunate, because that was one of the many strong points of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Well, if depreciation is a big factor in buying a car, you should probably not look into this market of automobile at all. If you want to drive an M3, you not only need to be able to accept and pay for the car initially, but also afford all the costs of ownership. These include premium gas that vanishes because of spirited driving, maintenance costs that may be initially covered BMW but will eventually be exorbitant, tires that also vanish quickly, and heavy initial owner depreciation.

I do not understand why anyone would pay so much to own this car and then not drive because they are worried about resale. If you have the savvy to have the means to purchase this car, you should have the wherewithal to comprehend the costs of ownership before buying it. Otherwise, get a car that costs less but you can have more fun with because you're not worried about every mile you drive it.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

you know what they say....
Automobiles are not a great investment...

I am purchasing the New M3 for the joy of driving it, not for the joy of making money on it....

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
JimKim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 330cic

Quote:

Are you buying the car for you or are you buying the car for the next owner? Get the car and drive it, and don't worry about the resale. Worry about it if and when the time comes to trade it in.
      04-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
you know what they say....
Automobiles are not a great investment...

I am purchasing the New M3 for the joy of driving it, not for the joy of making money on it....

Exactly!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
M3_2010
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CiC

Quote:

You only live twice.....Enjoy your life....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Exactly!!!
If we wanted to save money we wouldn't buy a m3 to begin with. Buying a car isn't a financial investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
gmund1948
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335 cab,C-6 08, 73 911E 59 D,

Wink Your in England

Quote:

Most Americans don't have a clue as to the petrol prices you have, Road taxes, Insurance Premiums or additional fees just to drive into a city

How much can you spend per mile of driving and not care about, compare that to the money you will lose in 3 years of ownership and see what
you can tolerate.

You will be paying likely over a Hundred and ten thousand USD
for an M3

Thats a New Corvette, an S-2000 and a 335 Sedan in the US
or used a good 911 Carerra 1989, a 2005 Vette, an E-36 M-3
a Honda Crv and 10 Quid (sp) Left Over

In Japan you could have a hand full of nice Nissan Zs plus 5 Miatas a
Figaro and a couple Diesel Pajeros all in RHD for 55K Pounds Not sure on import duties. (Yes then you would have to rent a place to store and insure and license them pay road tax)

Dont strap yourself, especially financially over a car unless
you can see yourself owning it for 10 years plus Then Make sure its worth the sacrafice

Hope it helps

TELL me what Real Drivers training you have after besides your State Drivers License ? Think about it ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

At least totally spec it out and come post it here. Then bail on it if you wish.
      04-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
mudd786
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E36

Quote:

Hi

I have heard the same, I have never purchased a new car before as not wanting to get hit by initial depreciation and teething problems, but i spoke to the dealer and he said due to very short supply and high demand on the vehicle, resale price of base £50,625 should be obtainable 12 - 18 month down the line as long as sensible mileage is accured. Im not sure or even confident of this but i feel how much could it depreciate in 2 to 2.5 years? as i checked on the E46 M3, on autotrader a 1 year old car with 6k miles was on for sale for £40K! and the brand new cost, if memory serves, of this vehicle was £41,995? I am a bit stuck and unsure wether to wait n get a used one (will be a very long wait dealer said prob get 1-2 every 2 month) or just buy and hope i get most of my money back! but i always thought once a vehicle is out of warranty and had 2-3 owners would be even harder to sell?any advice would be much appreciated! Thankyou

Regards
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I can't believe what I'm reading...your thinking about how much your going to get back when you sell it when you havn't even driving .01 miles....seriously what is this world coming to, buy the car worry about all the stuff later....

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
2m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3, 1988 M3

Quote:
My dealer has stated ...

Based on history of the E36M3 and E46 M3, the used car price of the E92M3 during first two year will have nothing to do with the blue book or mileage. The supply is less than demand. It will be easy to sell the E92M3 if you really have to sell it.

You can sell it at price close to new car price, but you will always have to absorb the loss on sales tax
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading...your thinking about how much your going to get back when you sell it when you havn't even driving .01 miles....seriously what is this world coming to, buy the car worry about all the stuff later....
i know its silly and i deserve that, but being a new car virgin do not know wether i will loose 20k over 2 years buying it new, or 10k over 2 years buying it used. I guess what im asking is driving experiance will be the same new or used but its wether you wana loose nearly double for being the first kid on the block with the beast! i suppose with every new car your hit with a bigger hit on depreciation, any 1 bought a new E46 M3 sold it after 2-3 years?? what did you pay and what did you get back for it? i am clueless with depreciation always end up with getting car easily and struggling to sell!! want to try to make the right choice! Thankyou!! ps i still am 90% for getting it new because i just cant wait!! #1 at dealer for 4 door
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmund1948 View Post
Most Americans don't have a clue as to the petrol prices you have, Road taxes, Insurance Premiums or additional fees just to drive into a city

How much can you spend per mile of driving and not care about, compare that to the money you will lose in 3 years of ownership and see what
you can tolerate.

You will be paying likely over a Hundred and ten thousand USD
for an M3

Thats a New Corvette, an S-2000 and a 335 Sedan in the US
or used a good 911 Carerra 1989, a 2005 Vette, an E-36 M-3
a Honda Crv and 10 Quid (sp) Left Over

In Japan you could have a hand full of nice Nissan Zs plus 5 Miatas a
Figaro and a couple Diesel Pajeros all in RHD for 55K Pounds Not sure on import duties. (Yes then you would have to rent a place to store and insure and license them pay road tax)

Dont strap yourself, especially financially over a car unless
you can see yourself owning it for 10 years plus Then Make sure its worth the sacrafice

Hope it helps

TELL me what Real Drivers training you have after besides your State Drivers License ? Think about it ?
You'll be paying over $110,000 to have an M3 over a 3 years period? Don't buy a car unless you can see yourself owning it for a 10 year period?

Dude, your logic is whack.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

There's only one reason to buy a car, to drive it. If you're going to be worry about deprecation or miles or anything other then driving the hell out of it, just ride the bus.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

Some good points made here - not least of all the cost of motoring in the UK. I guess most of us have a real world price that we can comfortable afford for motoring - still doesn't stop us from wanting something special. I guess that the M3 is probably right at the top of my affordability - and of course I understand that cars aren't investments - but i'm sure there must be a fair few on this board who are in the same boat as me and are not able to completely ignore the cost of motoring. My point was really just frustration that such a well engineered car should be battered on it's resale if I drive more than 6000 miles a year - bloody hell if i buy a Kia or Honda i could do 12000 miles a year and it would be average and have no effect on value v's age. I guess it must be great to be in the USA where you can pick up an M3 for 1/2 price, fuel it with 1/2 price fuel and insure it for 1/2 price too - I would guess that if the boys from the US where looking at a purchase price of $115,000 and probably losing $30000 in the first year there may be some differing thoughts.

Anyway thanks for all the comments - I guess this time tomorrow I'll know one way or the other whether i'm in or out.

Regards to all on my favourite forum.

PS. The reason why my dealer wanted such a high deposit (now ok) was that they got 'burnt' by the m6 - the residuals of which are horrendous in the UK - in fact I can get an M6, about 10 months old for less than an M3 - thats a $60000 + depreciation in 10 months!

Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #19
GregMM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 M3

Quote:

Sorry Moss; your dealer doesn't really know what depareciation will be at this point. Purely speculating. Historically, if we can use history to speculate, the M3 has always done well in that department. BMW even supports the value by having relatively high residuals on a BMW Financial Lease agreement for an M3.
Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

The M3, yet another reason why the USA is the best country in the world.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #21
mudd786
Private
Rep

Quote:
Some good points made here - not least of all the cost of motoring in the UK. I guess most of us have a real world price that we can comfortable afford for motoring - still doesn't stop us from wanting something special. I guess that the M3 is probably right at the top of my affordability - and of course I understand that cars aren't investments - but i'm sure there must be a fair few on this board who are in the same boat as me and are not able to completely ignore the cost of motoring. My point was really just frustration that such a well engineered car should be battered on it's resale if I drive more than 6000 miles a year - bloody hell if i buy a Kia or Honda i could do 12000 miles a year and it would be average and have no effect on value v's age. I guess it must be great to be in the USA where you can pick up an M3 for 1/2 price, fuel it with 1/2 price fuel and insure it for 1/2 price too - I would guess that if the boys from the US where looking at a purchase price of $115,000 and probably losing $30000 in the first year there may be some differing thoughts.

Anyway thanks for all the comments - I guess this time tomorrow I'll know one way or the other whether i'm in or out.

Regards to all on my favourite forum.

PS. The reason why my dealer wanted such a high deposit (now ok) was that they got 'burnt' by the m6 - the residuals of which are horrendous in the UK - in fact I can get an M6, about 10 months old for less than an M3 - thats a $60000 + depreciation in 10 months!

Mark
EXACTLY! hit the nail on the head!

im sure just converting pounds to USD isnt fair, but it shows how much we in the UK actually loose, n remember our standard wage here is about £28k of which the tax man helps himself to 20%! i suppose its all perspective car costs us £50K, n prob will cost in USA $50-$60k so its relative in the country but you cannot just convert the USD to say they pay half IMO! any ways thanks for the help im closer to 99% (1% convencing the wife) on buying it, as Mark the car is just within budjet prob will get a few extras cant do wiv out the seat heaters!! Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 03:31 AM   #22
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Cant you just lease? Then you dont have to worry.