BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
kingfish01
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East


Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

WTF? Lack of wood trim!!!

I just got my '11 M3 E93 and paid the extra to get anthracite trim. But whoa, the trim is up on the dash and then a couple feeble strips on the doors. WTF? I assumed it would be on the central console as well. My blunder, since my 95 M3 has tons more wood trim than this. Are they skimping? Damn, for what I paid they should add a bit more wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
162

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,154
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
I just got my '11 M3 E93 and paid the extra to get anthracite trim. But whoa, the trim is up on the dash and then a couple feeble strips on the doors. WTF? I assumed it would be on the central console as well. My blunder, since my 95 M3 has tons more wood trim than this. Are they skimping? Damn, for what I paid they should add a bit more wood trim.
The real WTF??? is how you noticed that at delivery and not before, with so many photos of interiors with that trim -and all trims by the way- in this forum and at bmwusa.com since early 2008.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
42

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

You should have researched this earlier. There's tons of pictures on the forum showing the Anthracite wood trim. And unfortunately, the center console is unique to the M3, the other 3-series consoles won't work due to a different shifter cutout so there's no replacing the console with wood.

FWIW, the center console (at least the top) is leather, so they say, which to me is a bit nicer than the wood. Also, the Anthracite wood is real wood, not a cheap plastic imitation like on many other cars.

Are they skimping? I would say you have a bargain since you bought the M3 for how it drives, not for how the trim looks. Right?


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
7

 
mshab356's Avatar
 
Drives: a ///Monster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA


Posts: 741
iTrader: (3)

^^ What he said
__________________
GONE 2011.5 SG E92 ///M3 6MT | CF kidney grills | IND SG painted side grills w/ tinted lenses | Painted bumper reflectors | TMS 90mm stud kit | Rear fog light mod | Active Autowerke exhaust |

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Don't mean to offend but genuinely curious
I think we all agree the M3 is a sports car
Why would you want wood in a sporty car?
Doesn't wood belong in a Jaguar or 7 series, S class etc?
Its kind of like a red S class, they don't make it because it's a sporty colour and th S class is not about being sporty.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
49

 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii


Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Don't mean to offend but genuinely curious
I think we all agree the M3 is a sports car
Why would you want wood in a sporty car?
Doesn't wood belong in a Jaguar or 7 series, S class etc?
Its kind of like a red S class, they don't make it because it's a sporty colour and th S class is not about being sporty.
I have anthracite and I like it. I don't care for the carbon look leather and the brushed only matches certain color combos. I've gotten many compliments on the wood. The only thing I might trade it for is the BMW performance carbon trim.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #7
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
7

 
Ken37.73's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland


Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

Man complains that he can't get wood ! LOL
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34

 
kaykay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,770
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The real WTF??? is how you noticed that at delivery and not before, with so many photos of interiors with that trim -and all trims by the way- in this forum and at bmwusa.com since early 2008.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
126

 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown


Posts: 3,499
iTrader: (1)

lack of hard wood?
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
BillK
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD


Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

Hard wood, soft wood, it does seem like they are cutting corners.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
31

 
Poleposition's Avatar
 
Drives: very well
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY


Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

For the first time ever in my history of internet forum participation, I agree with every post before me.

Sorry kingfish. Somehow, I think you'll still enjoy your car. And if for some strange reason, this lack of wood still burns you after driving the car for a while, you got the wrong car.
__________________
20135
21" DPE Super Concave, Meisterschaft GTC w/LXR midpipes, BMC filters, Charcoal delete, H&R springs, IND cosmetic pkg, M-Performance Spoiler, Wrapped roof, Hardwired V1, Coded
2013 X6 50i MSport

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
PKL
Colonel
34

 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica


Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

Wood trim is ugly anyway
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
kingfish01
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East


Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Guys, thanks for the "constructive" replies. When ordering the car, I knew that I do not like carbon fiber or flimsy aluminum type trim. Wood is the only option for me so looking at pictures wont make a difference, I'll order it no matter the quantity. So thats a no brainer, its going to be wood (and yes, I have plenty, just not in the M3 ). If I didnt own another M3 (E36), I wouldnt have been spoiled about the quantity and quality of wood. Its just that for interior trim, I really feel as though my old E36 with the luxury package has a nicer quality leather and wood trim than the E93. OK, no problem, but they really should have offered an upgrade like the luxury package in the E36. And yes, I bought the car for the performance, not the way the interior looks, but it would have been nice...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
kingfish01
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East


Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

I'm assuming you are a young'n. Back in the day of "real" sportscars, the TR6, Alfa's, Jags, etc, they all had wood trim and not this laminate shit, it was the real stuff that'll split your head open in an accident.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Don't mean to offend but genuinely curious
I think we all agree the M3 is a sports car
Why would you want wood in a sporty car?
Doesn't wood belong in a Jaguar or 7 series, S class etc?
Its kind of like a red S class, they don't make it because it's a sporty colour and th S class is not about being sporty.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
ChrisK
Brigadier General
United_States
86

 
ChrisK's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL


Posts: 4,864
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
I'm assuming you are a young'n. Back in the day of "real" sportscars, the TR6, Alfa's, Jags, etc, they all had wood trim and not this laminate shit, it was the real stuff that'll split your head open in an accident.
Many of us are not young'ns. The Carbon Leather is absolutely stunning.

Many of those "real" sportscars - the wood is the only thing of value or intact
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #16
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
38

 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

I love the wood trim on the 7 and Panamera

the M3 wood trim option is fugly
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
real wood trim looks great
but the only wood trim i've seen that looked good was on rolls royce, Bently, and Jaguars
the rest all look like plastic wood

if they had piano black wood, i think that looks good
as the black hides the plasticiness
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
129

 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA


Posts: 6,481
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
I'm assuming you are a young'n. Back in the day of "real" sportscars, the TR6, Alfa's, Jags, etc, they all had wood trim and not this laminate shit, it was the real stuff that'll split your head open in an accident.
38
does that still qualify as young?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Park2670
General
United_States
204

 
Park2670's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CX-5
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UTAH


Posts: 18,124
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
For the first time ever in my history of internet forum participation, I agree with every post before me.



QFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
162

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,154
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish01 View Post
Guys, thanks for the "constructive" replies. When ordering the car, I knew that I do not like carbon fiber or flimsy aluminum type trim. Wood is the only option for me so looking at pictures wont make a difference, I'll order it no matter the quantity. So thats a no brainer, its going to be wood (and yes, I have plenty, just not in the M3 ). If I didnt own another M3 (E36), I wouldnt have been spoiled about the quantity and quality of wood. Its just that for interior trim, I really feel as though my old E36 with the luxury package has a nicer quality leather and wood trim than the E93. OK, no problem, but they really should have offered an upgrade like the luxury package in the E36. And yes, I bought the car for the performance, not the way the interior looks, but it would have been nice...
This Novillo leather in the E9x M3 really is not that good compared with Nappa (E36 and E46 M3), it wears up too quick and nasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
sor
Lieutenant
7

 
sor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UT


Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

At least there's some real wood in that trim, my friend's Acura has "carbon fiber" trim that you can see the dot matrix from printing it if you look closely.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
13

 
Rshane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa, FL


Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (0)

God forbid you don't conform to what everyone feels you should do to your car. Geez, some people on this site are pathetic. Your car must meet these strict guidelines or you are not a true enthusiaist.

It seems not too many people on this site want to help fellow M3 owners out, only criticize and tell them what they should do...and I thought the Mustang sites were bad.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue M3// Black extended Novillo w/ Blue Grey Aluminum trim/DCT/ZTP/ZCW/ZPP/ZCP Premium Sound ///Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST