BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
dexx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

Low oil light 1200 miles after first service.

I feel like adding a quart from the case bought, but I think it might be wiser to bring it in the dealer so it's documented, just in case of future warranty issues?

What does m3post think?
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZP2 ZCV ZCW ZCP (for teh fastAr)
2005 LGT, AVO380 Turbo, a zillion other mods, ECU tuning by me.
dexx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
racedoc11
Major
 
racedoc11's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Audi RS5 & 08 M3 E93 SOLD
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 1,263
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Audi RS5  [5.00]
2008 E93 M3  [5.00]
Yes!! Bring it to the dealer ...This happened to me with 2 different dealers but I caught it in their parking lot...They told me the service guy put a quart less. I knew about this trick from before; some dealers purposely put a quart less and charge full price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
I feel like adding a quart from the case bought, but I think it might be wiser to bring it in the dealer so it's documented, just in case of future warranty issues?

What does m3post think?
racedoc11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
I feel like adding a quart from the case bought, but I think it might be wiser to bring it in the dealer so it's documented, just in case of future warranty issues?

What does m3post think?
If it indicates a quart low now, then it should have been showing way less than full immediately after the service. Did it? Before being too critical of the dealer, this might have been the result of an effort to avoid over-filling, and they just didn't get a good second check of it after a test drive and getting it up to full temp.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
dexx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MA

Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)

It was half when it left the dealer, and a quarter 500 miles after.. Still quite a bit of oil consumption.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZP2 ZCV ZCW ZCP (for teh fastAr)
2005 LGT, AVO380 Turbo, a zillion other mods, ECU tuning by me.
dexx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pmeloche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (0)

Ot of the dealer, it should have read at MAX. It happened to me after the 2000km service and I returned it and they topped it off until it showed MAX.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexx View Post
It was half when it left the dealer, and a quarter 500 miles after.. Still quite a bit of oil consumption.
Yep. Not enough for any warranty action, but worth keeping documented. I'm getting ready to do my own "in-between" oil change now. After 5K miles from the first service (6.2K total), mine still shows full, and that includes a track weekend.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
emthreeboy
Captain
 
emthreeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 918
iTrader: (2)

Why are you posting this here....now? I mean, go out to your garage and pour a little more oil in, check inidcator, if it needs more, add more.

I wouldn't go back to dealer just for that, they are just going to say their sorry and add more. I bought a quart to have at home, and the M3 is gonna burn oil as you drive, always good to have some at home.

Hope everything works out for you!
__________________
-09 e92 SPACE GRAY/// m3 w/ m-dct!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
emthreeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
dpsfm3
M enthusiast. BMW CCA member.
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 7MDCT AW loaded
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreeboy View Post
I bought a quart to have at home, and the M3 is gonna burn oil as you drive, always good to have some at home.
I also recommend keeping a quart in your trunk just in case you're out enjoying a drive and then the indicator comes on and you're not close to home....just a suggestion...you can never be too attentive!
__________________
2011 ///M3 e92 7MDCT 19", Alpine White, Black Leather/Carbon, Loaded
2005 ///M3 e46 6MT 19", ZCP, Carbon Black, Black/Alcantara seats (sold, but not forgotten!)

Last edited by dpsfm3; 12-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.
dpsfm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
emthreeboy
Captain
 
emthreeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 918
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsfm3 View Post
I also recommend keeping a quart in your trunk just in case you're out enjoying a drive and then the indicator comes on and you're not close to home....just a suggestion...you can never be to attentive!
Thats a good idea, ill do that!
__________________
-09 e92 SPACE GRAY/// m3 w/ m-dct!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
emthreeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreeboy View Post
Why are you posting this here....now? I mean, go out to your garage and pour a little more oil in, check inidcator, if it needs more, add more.

I wouldn't go back to dealer just for that, they are just going to say their sorry and add more. I bought a quart to have at home, and the M3 is gonna burn oil as you drive, always good to have some at home.

Hope everything works out for you!
I believe his point is to have the oil consumption issue on record with the dealer, in the event it gets worse, which is a good idea. This amount of consumption is not "excessive" by BMW standards, but it's more than normal. These motors don't generally have oil consumption problems.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
emthreeboy
Captain
 
emthreeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 918
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I believe his point is to have the oil consumption issue on record with the dealer, in the event it gets worse, which is a good idea. This amount of consumption is not "excessive" by BMW standards, but it's more than normal. These motors don't generally have oil consumption problems.
OP said the lack of oil occurred after the 12000-mile service, meaning the tech who worked on his car didn't put enough oil in his car. This has nothing to do with any ''oil consumption problems''.

Regardless, M3s burn more oil then most cars as you drive anyways, so its always good to have oil with you or in your garage, for times when it needs some.
__________________
-09 e92 SPACE GRAY/// m3 w/ m-dct!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
emthreeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emthreeboy View Post
OP said the lack of oil occurred after the 12000-mile service, meaning the tech who worked on his car didn't put enough oil in his car. This has nothing to do with any ''oil consumption problems''.

Regardless, M3s burn more oil then most cars as you drive anyways, so its always good to have oil with you or in your garage, for times when it needs some.
I believe it was after the initial 1200 mile service, not 12,000. He said it was half way in the normal/add zone immediately after the service, and down to one-quarter after only 500 miles. So yes, the tech did not fill it, but that pace of consumption is greater than average, although not necessarily an indication of a problem that requires any attention. Having owned three M3's, my experience has not shown any problem with oil consumption. Even several track weekends have not generally resulted in the need to add oil. Maybe my experience is not the norm, but there you go.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
emthreeboy
Captain
 
emthreeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 918
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I believe it was after the initial 1200 mile service, not 12,000. He said it was half way in the normal/add zone immediately after the service, and down to one-quarter after only 500 miles. So yes, the tech did not fill it, but that pace of consumption is greater than average, although not necessarily an indication of a problem that requires any attention. Having owned three M3's, my experience has not shown any problem with oil consumption. Even several track weekends have not generally resulted in the need to add oil. Maybe my experience is not the norm, but there you go.
Ops, misspelled, meant to write 1200. Must have missed that 500-miles incident. Just read it though, yeah you're right, shouldn't burn that much in just 500 miles. I'd have them take a look at it, though burning oil have alwaysed seem pretty common for M3s. Maybe you keep getting good batches of them?
__________________
-09 e92 SPACE GRAY/// m3 w/ m-dct!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
emthreeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

You can't measure oil consumption accurately with a sensor in the short term folks. My car ('08) only reads -1, low, half, full, and overfilled. I think newer cars have better accuracy, adding 1/4 and 3/4 levels, but am not sure.
Anyway, my car has an accuracy of 1/2L folks. It's AWFUL. Best way to guesstimate oil consumption is to top off oil little by little until it jumps to full, write down mileage, then wait until you get the 'add +1 or your engine will explode' message , and see how many miles it took your engine to consume 1 liter. If it's anything more than 1,000 miles, BMW considers it normal. Most likely it'll be A LOT more than that, since 1L in 1K miles is ridiculously high IMO.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

It could be they didn't put in quite enough oil during the first service.

Have you been driving the car hard since then?
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
jacobe92
Lieutenant
 
jacobe92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Red
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cerritos, CA

Posts: 438
iTrader: (2)

oil level

They over filled mine! I had to go back there two days later and have it drained. Incompetent!!!!Thank God they don't fly for airline.
jacobe92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST