BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
How do I know the dealer changed the oil?

other than trusting them or being there watching?

Any way to check this?

This engine doesn't have a dipstick to see the colour of the oil immediately afte the change....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
sameh
Major
sameh's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
1,471
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
other than trusting them or being there watching?

Any way to check this?

This engine doesn't have a dipstick to see the colour of the oil immediately afte the change....
good question. hearing some bad dealer experiences made me think this way as well. sad but true
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
ES_TRADER
Colonel
68
Rep
2,699
Posts

 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
i know...id like to know this too...can never be too sure...the one thing i like about lexus dealers is that their service department has a glass window surrounding the whole area so u can just sit there and watch them service ur car...no doubts there..and the techs know they're being watched...i wish bmw would have this too
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Dannys M3
Captain
Dannys M3's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
713
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
They rarely wipe up the excess oil around the drain plugs. Get under the car and look for fresh oil around the plugs or even on the underbelly pan.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
KJM3
Private First Class
1
Rep
177
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: East Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Look around the drain plugs, unless you get an anal tech that washes it down with brake clean there will be some dirty oil around the two drain plugs.

Other than that its a trust thing, you can see the oil pretty plainly with the oil filler cap off but its hard to tell by that.

The only way to know 100% for sure is watch them or do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Leonardo629
Major
United_States
13
Rep
1,206
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

iTrader: (9)

you can always run the motor for a few minutes, remove the filler cap, and wipe the underside with a shop rag....if the color is amber...then the oil is fresh
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
jdgamble
First Lieutenant
jdgamble's Avatar
5
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Check your invoice too. It should have a qty of oil. But this kind of begs the question... Why would they not? They get paid for doing it. Do you really think a dealership would risk not servicing your vehicle properly to swindle the cost on oil? What kind of company would risk that? It doesn't make a ton of sense.

That said, I've thought the same thing.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan / Space Gray / 6MT / Few Frills / Low Weight / Lots of Fun

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Raustin
Cmd Chief
Raustin's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Altus AFB OK

iTrader: (0)

Trust but verify!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
you can always run the motor for a few minutes, remove the filler cap, and wipe the underside with a shop rag....if the color is amber...then the oil is fresh
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
Look around the drain plugs, unless you get an anal tech that washes it down with brake clean there will be some dirty oil around the two drain plugs.

Other than that its a trust thing, you can see the oil pretty plainly with the oil filler cap off but its hard to tell by that.

The only way to know 100% for sure is watch them or do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
They rarely wipe up the excess oil around the drain plugs. Get under the car and look for fresh oil around the plugs or even on the underbelly pan.
Thanks guys, very helpful!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Does it taste fresh?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
elh0102
Captain
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

If you have to ask, you need to find another dealer, or do it yourself. And some customers are cynical or paranoid by nature, hopefully not you. Oil changes are simple and profitable. I think it would be one of the last places a dealer would cheat. With that said, the oil changers are not usually long-term, master mechanics, and certainly one could cheat on the invoice and sell the oil and filter out the back door. I try to develop a good relationship with the shop foreman or a senior tech, and it seems to pay off in good service.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
andrew270681
Private First Class
andrew270681's Avatar
Australia
4
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Put some sort of marking on your Drain plugs that way you can see if they have removed it or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
gthberg
Private
gthberg's Avatar
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3 IB/FR
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e90 M3  [0.00]
Even if you don't pay for it, they'll list the 9 or so quarts of oil on the invoice for inventory Make sure there's a filter on there, too.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew270681 View Post
Put some sort of marking on your Drain plugs that way you can see if they have removed it or not.
They may remove it just to drain a few centiliters out, just to show the oil was changed...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthberg View Post
Even if you don't pay for it, they'll list the 9 or so quarts of oil on the invoice for inventory Make sure there's a filter on there, too.
We pay for all oil changes here, even during warranty period, so they indeed list 9 liter bottles and an oil filter in the service invoice. Again, this says nothing to me as they may charge it and simply not change it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
michaelthepsycho's Avatar
Taiwan
39
Rep
1,632
Posts

 
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Mark your filter with a sharpie. If they don't change the filter, they don't change the oil.
__________________
Former car
2011 BMW 335i Step - Montego Blue / Chestnut Brown
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
39
Rep
1,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

I love my m3, but the one and ONLY thing I HATE about it is that there is no m*ther f*ckin dipstick...

To be honest, I also ponder sometimes if the dealership really changed my oil or not. I don't know how to check if the oil is clean or not coz of the lack of a dipstick. The dealer could've just topped my oil off without even changing it.

No dipstick FTL!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #18
ES_TRADER
Colonel
68
Rep
2,699
Posts

 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
I love my m3, but the one and ONLY thing I HATE about it is that there is no m*ther f*ckin dipstick...

To be honest, I also ponder sometimes if the dealership really changed my oil or not. I don't know how to check if the oil is clean or not coz of the lack of a dipstick. The dealer could've just topped my oil off without even changing it.

No dipstick FTL!
holy shit no dipstick? how the hell are u supposed to tell if oil level is low or dirty? i used to just look between the 2 dots on my dipstick to measure that the level was good.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
stryker1
Private First Class
stryker1's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 M3 silverstone
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: miami, fl

iTrader: (2)

I take the cap off and break a nearby branch off of a tree and use it as a dip stick
Has not failed yet..... Jk
Trust big word
__________________
AA signature w/ xpipe AA ecu, alufelgen 19''s kumho, h&r sport, afe element & scoops, ind painted markers, and gills, carbon grille.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #20
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
39
Rep
1,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
holy shit no dipstick? how the hell are u supposed to tell if oil level is low or dirty? i used to just look between the 2 dots on my dipstick to measure that the level was good.
Yup! It's sad, but it's true bro. I too was shocked at first because I have never had any vehicle before the M3 that had no dipstick. On my older vehicles, I can tell that the dealer did an oil change just by looking at the dipstick. Besides that, the traditional way of telling whether your oil level is low is with a dipstick. That pretty much changes when you get an M3. You rely now on electronic gauges (which I don't really trust) on the dash. To be honest, it's pretty much impossible to check the oil level on the M3 and whether you are running on clean oil or not. I prefer the dipstick OVER any electronic bullsh*t. LOL!

My dad was also shocked when I first told him that my m3 had no dipstick. IIRC, all he said was that I have a high performance car that's luxurious, but with no DAMN dipstick??
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
15
Rep
534
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

After years of purchasing and servicing my car at one of our local BMW dealerships, those fukcers tried to screw me out of an oil change when I purchased the car used from them. On the test drive the oil change indicator came on and both the sales guy and I noticed it. So, I asked they do the oil change before pick-up of the car and they said no problem. Well, I found out later (after getting a updated service history on the car) all they did was reset the computer but actually did not do an oil change because it had only been 11 months (low milage) since the last change anyways. I was pissed because instead of just telling me it was still not quite due for the early oil change ( low milage oil change), they pretended to have done it which means I would have gone another year without an oil change. I do not trust these stealerships anymore!! Beware guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #22
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31
Rep
2,731
Posts

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
If you have to ask, you need to find another dealer, or do it yourself. And some customers are cynical or paranoid by nature, hopefully not you. Oil changes are simple and profitable. I think it would be one of the last places a dealer would cheat. With that said, the oil changers are not usually long-term, master mechanics, and certainly one could cheat on the invoice and sell the oil and filter out the back door. I try to develop a good relationship with the shop foreman or a senior tech, and it seems to pay off in good service.
This. If youbhave to use the "trust but verify" method then you don't really trust the dealer. If you're that concerned about it, just do it yourself. It's an oil change, not rocket science.

Also, BMW isn't the only company deleting dipsticks. Audi is removing them as well but at least they had the good sense to keep the tube in place, it's just capped off. It's there for service tech to check oil level during services but you can also buy a dipstick and put it in there for your own use.

I wonder if the M has a tube like this.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST