BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

11-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Anyone had an issue with their car turning off on its own after filling up with gas?

I picked up my M on 9/30 a couple months ago. probably the 3rd fill up I had I was driving away from the pump and as I was at the exit/entrance to the gas station I went to give it gas and the car had turned itself off

I thought maybe it was me as I hadnt grown overly familiar with the car just yet but then a week or so later it happened again at a different station. This time I was actually rolling giving it gas and it shut off on me.

Both times was immediately following a fill up - I fill up with only premium - I have a DCT so it wasnt an issue of popping the clutch... - car had 3100 miles on it as I bought it and less than 4000 miles on it for each instance.

I called the dealer who told me it may be a form of vapor lock but to call them if it happened again which now it has not.

My thoughts are maybe due to the 100+ temps in arizona his vapor lock idea was spot on, however, I have had another bmw in the same heat and a volvo and neither had the issue.

Anyone with thoughts? similar senarios?
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
I picked up my M on 9/30 a couple months ago. probably the 3rd fill up I had I was driving away from the pump and as I was at the exit/entrance to the gas station I went to give it gas and the car had turned itself off

I thought maybe it was me as I hadnt grown overly familiar with the car just yet but then a week or so later it happened again at a different station. This time I was actually rolling giving it gas and it shut off on me.

Both times was immediately following a fill up - I fill up with only premium - I have a DCT so it wasnt an issue of popping the clutch... - car had 3100 miles on it as I bought it and less than 4000 miles on it for each instance.

I called the dealer who told me it may be a form of vapor lock but to call them if it happened again which now it has not.

My thoughts are maybe due to the 100+ temps in arizona his vapor lock idea was spot on, however, I have had another bmw in the same heat and a volvo and neither had the issue.

Anyone with thoughts? similar senarios?

This just happend to me recently. I have a 2008, DCT while filling up gas it shut off.
It had been flashed recently by a local dealer (2 days before). This was the first time. Car temp was normal, Outside temp cant remember exactly but was somewhere between 55-65 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: RDSport RS 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarii View Post
This just happend to me recently. I have a 2008, DCT while filling up gas it shut off.
It had been flashed recently by a local dealer (2 days before). This was the first time. Car temp was normal, Outside temp cant remember exactly but was somewhere between 55-65 degrees.
You leave the motor running when you're filling up with gas? I think every owners manual ever made tells you to turn off the ignition first.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
baarii
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
You leave the motor running when you're filling up with gas? I think every owners manual ever made tells you to turn off the ignition first.
You are right. But it never happend before.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

my engine was off - engine temp normal - no mods to the car as I had just picked it up 2 days prior to this.
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0