BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
So I installed GP Thunders today....

Wasn't too difficult, but I had to take them out a couple of times to bend the tabs since they didn't seem like they were tight enough. After I screwed them in the first time, they unscrewed so easily I was concerned that they might unscrew themselves from the normal vibrations from driving.

First I just tried changing the rubber grommet to the OEM ones, but that didn't do anything. Then I took them out again and I bent the tabs down, put them back in, but still too loose. Took them out a third time and bent them some more and they were OK... not great, but tighter. I did notice, however, that from taking them in and out, I was scratching the bulb and the blue stuff on the tip. Also, I was accidentally touching the bulb with my bare hands, which I don't think you're supposed to do.

Are my bulbs going to fail???

Anyways, they look better... and for $23, a pretty cheap mod.

The M3 has GP Thunders 7500k... the X5 is OEM. Both look a little yellower in the pic than in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

mine are loose as well, just arrange the wires in a way so they'll prevent the bulbs from rotating.

I have scratches on mine as well, so far so good..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Mine aren't loose actually, perfect fit.

They're ok for a $23 mod, but I think I'm going with AiB's next - just need to see them in person first.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mine fit perfect as well and make alot of difference for what I paid for them.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Before choosing, you guys need to see HIDs in person.
      11-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
paul walker
keep it fast keep it furious
Rep
Drives: MTHREE

I wouldn't touch AiB's with a ten foot pole if I were you, replacement H8's or HID's would be a better solution.

Here's some awesome pics of AiB's in action, $2200 dollars later from BMW and the car was back on the road with a new headlamp and those worthless aib bulbs ripped out:
Attached Images

11-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul walker View Post
I wouldn't touch AiB's with a ten foot pole if I were you, replacement H8's or HID's would be a better solution.

Here's some awesome pics of AiB's in action, $2200 dollars later from BMW and the car was back on the road with a new headlamp and those worthless aib bulbs ripped out:
I dont get it. Can you explain what happened with the AiB's?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Fsarc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
+1! I just ordered a set of these. Did you have the V3 version? Bought new? Please tell us more.............
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
This is a 1st Generation ballast (Summer 09) that was never returned when we discovered some units were failing under excessive heat and a campaign was issued in Fall of that same year for replacements - including covering the cost of shipping. Either the DriverPacks were never replaced by the original owner, or the campaign notice was ignored. The OP is the 2nd owner, in which was the vehicle was purchased the AiBs (still with 1st Gen DriverPacks) installed.

For reference, we are on our 3rd Generation Ballast which can be identified by a H8 plug socket wired at the end for PnP installation. These versions are much more robust and can take the heat, including being installed within a headlamp (sealed) assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev
Before choosing, you guys need to see HIDs in person.
I agree with looking at all systems before making a purchase. For reference, here's a diagram of the fiber path used in the e92 setup:

By design the inner lamp will always get a direct shot from the bulb (H8). However, the outer projector will always be weaker due to the travel path needed in the fiber lines to illuminate the ring. This is why the outer rings are always dimmer than the inner.

All the latest and greatest bulbs on the market will not correct this design. This HID kits are interesting as they use a very high color temperature, reducing the lumen output in order to illuminate the rings. Unfortunately - this gives a very blue color, which is not what we're looking for. Also - HIDs run at very high temperatures. As paul walker stated earlier, these headlamps are by no means cheap to replace.

Voltage Requirements:

E9x M3 headlights are very sensitive to voltage and can give off errors if the proper resistance is not detected as what the system would expect from a H8 bulb - a reason to why "resistor packs" are required on the HID setups, the new "CANBUS" HID Ballasts are getting better at preventing errors. LED systems use a driver pack, which will be integrated into the system to keep these errors from appearing.

System uses very little power and is double the output (10W) than most kits with no flickering experienced from the vehicle's bulbcheck system

Since we're on the heat subject, here are surface temp readings of LED, HID and stock lightsources used for Angel Eyes:

Pictured are AngeliBright (left), 35W HID (center) and Halogen (right), things obviously change when installed in a sealed headlamp. LEDs will always run the coolest out of the three, with HID temps running the highest.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

I've had the Aib v 3.0 for almost a year, it looks great. One of them stopped working after a few months but EAS replaced it under warranty.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #11
paul walker
keep it fast keep it furious
Rep
Drives: MTHREE

Yep, second owner of the car and had no idea these lights were in there until the second day of owning the car and having the DRL on the headlight burst into flames and wasn't covered under warranty through bmw for obvious reasons. Stock lights are back in and I wouldn't change them out again as I'm not going to go through this hassle again nor void my electrical warranty which BMWNA almost did, however after finding out I was the second owner, owning it for two days and had no idea this was done they did not void the entire electrical warranty.

cheers
      11-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I love how every angel eye thread turns into a AiB vs HID thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

To the OP, the GP Thunder bulbs are a great and inexpensive H8 Bulb solution and they look great on your M3! I cannot speak for other products such as the AiB, but I can tell you from personal experience that an LED solution is a great alternative. I would recommend that you guys also check out the 6W LED Angel Eye bulbs by City Vision Lighting. I personally have this installed in my car for over a year and have never had a single issue with overheating or anything of the sort. Best of all, they also come with warranty as well so you will get a replacement unit if anything does happen. Here are a few pictures for you guys to check out!

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/City%20Vision%20Lighting/LED_Angel_Eyes9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/City%20Vision%20Lighting/LED_Install_5.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
HID's FTW. Stay away from AIB's
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

looks awesome for the price that you paid for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Wasn't too difficult, but I had to take them out a couple of times to bend the tabs since they didn't seem like they were tight enough. After I screwed them in the first time, they unscrewed so easily I was concerned that they might unscrew themselves from the normal vibrations from driving.

First I just tried changing the rubber grommet to the OEM ones, but that didn't do anything. Then I took them out again and I bent the tabs down, put them back in, but still too loose. Took them out a third time and bent them some more and they were OK... not great, but tighter. I did notice, however, that from taking them in and out, I was scratching the bulb and the blue stuff on the tip. Also, I was accidentally touching the bulb with my bare hands, which I don't think you're supposed to do.

Are my bulbs going to fail???

Anyways, they look better... and for $23, a pretty cheap mod.

The M3 has GP Thunders 7500k... the X5 is OEM. Both look a little yellower in the pic than in person.
Appreciate 0