BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Group Buy EZCarLift

Not sure if this is the right forum, but received this link in my e-mail today

http://www.gotogroupbuy.com/635/EZCARLIFT.aspx

More on the EZCarLift

http://www.ezcarlift.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
inandout
Second Lieutenant
inandout's Avatar
2
Rep
299
Posts

 
Drives: 4 Rings
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

No way i'd crawl under that thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
aus
Major General
119
Rep
7,423
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

From what I've read, this thing is suppose to work well.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
garek
Second Lieutenant
garek's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
287
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

I joined the list.
__________________
///M3 E90 '09 Le Mans Blue | DCT | Silver Novillo | Tech | Prem | 19"s | Prem Sound | iPod
StopTech BBK | Volk VR.G2 | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

me too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
rockd
rockd's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (11)

Here's the problem - you can't really do any exhaust work because the cross-members block access. Otherwise, I would've already bought one.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockd View Post
Here's the problem - you can't really do any exhaust work because the cross-members block access. Otherwise, I would've already bought one.
Actually, with the car up in the air you can temporarily remove one of the crossmembers (just one of them, the other has the lifting mechanism inside). It's shown in one of their videos and confirmed by one of our forum members. That's because the "rear" crossmembers is not structural, just there to stabilize the lifting process - but once the weight of the car is supported equally by the 2 sides, you can take it off.

Of course, that wouldn't work with the casters installed and needless to say the floor must be very flat.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

There is no way in hell I would lift my M3 with that.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
There is no way in hell I would lift my M3 with that.
Why is that? I'm curious...

People are lifting 1/2 car with aluminum hydraulic floor jacks, this uses a purely mechanical lifting system based on friction/reduction. In this sense, it's similar to those professional 2-post lifts used in service bays that use a worm drive. I've read positive reviews from a forum member, I've googled and read experienced from other forums and initial signs appear good.


The other scissor lifts on the market are much heavier only because: a) they're made of iron, not aluminum and b) they use hydraulics for lifting which requires more heavy-duty framework (and a separate pump).


I'm thinking of purchasing, so if you have healthy criticisms please fire away - I don't want to overlook a potential safety issue lurking out there...


Edit: Come to think of it, it would be possible to lift the car with this, then place 4 big jackstands under the lift for that ultimate failsafe. Right?
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Why is that? I'm curious...

People are lifting 1/2 car with aluminum hydraulic floor jacks, this uses a purely mechanical lifting system based on friction/reduction. In this sense, it's similar to those professional 2-post lifts used in service bays that use a worm drive. I've read positive reviews from a forum member, I've googled and read experienced from other forums and initial signs appear good.


The other scissor lifts on the market are much heavier only because: a) they're made of iron, not aluminum and b) they use hydraulics for lifting which requires more heavy-duty framework (and a separate pump).


I'm thinking of purchasing, so if you have healthy criticisms please fire away - I don't want to overlook a potential safety issue lurking out there...


Edit: Come to think of it, it would be possible to lift the car with this, then place 4 big jackstands under the lift for that ultimate failsafe. Right?
Hold up..

I said, "There is no way in hell I would lift my M3 with that"

I didn't say it was a bad lift, I am not brave enough to risk lift failure. I would not jack my car up and put in on jackstands either. I have a close friend with 6 bays in his shop. I use his lifts.

I dam near destroyed my car with Rhino ramps once.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010

Last edited by ChrisK; 10-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
evilspiritM3
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Broadway, NC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
1987 535is  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
I have an E28 as well and saw a good write up on this lift. Some photos are E28 specific, but he goes into detail on how it operates, etc.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/continued/id25.html

Last edited by evilspiritM3; 10-19-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
adc can you point us to the other forum member who's given a review?!
There's some information in this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433714
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I said, "There is no way in hell I would lift my M3 with that"

I didn't say it was a bad lift, I am not brave enough to risk lift failure. I would not jack my car up and put in on jackstands either. I have a close friend with 6 bays in his shop. I use his lifts.

I dam near destroyed my car with Rhino ramps once.
Understood.

What happened with the Rhino ramps? (I'm using them too, would like to know about any potential pitfalls).
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
7
Rep
786
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

iTrader: (0)

^^ same here...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
aus
Major General
119
Rep
7,423
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
What happened with the Rhino ramps? (I'm using them too, would like to know about any potential pitfalls).
+1

And it would be very cool to have access to a lift.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Understood.

What happened with the Rhino ramps? (I'm using them too, would like to know about any potential pitfalls).
Drove onto the Rhino ramps with the rear tires (exhaust work) and shot them under the car. I barely touched the gas. My wife saw the whole thing. The ramps ended up wedged under the body. Luckily they wedged right in line with the "frame" of the car and nothing serious was damaged but my pride, the undercarriage covers, and a few of the plastic ground effects supports. The undercarriage covers had a few rips - I have now replaced them.

Rhino ramps look simply enough, but can be dangerous. I have since thrown the ramps out. I also had the "truck" rhino ramps. They simply slipped on the concrete of my garage. Brand new car and this happened. I almost had a stroke!!
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
NYCMCBM3's Avatar
No_Country
50
Rep
2,718
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Ozone Park,NY

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Drove onto the Rhino ramps with the rear tires (exhaust work) and shot them under the car. I barely touched the gas. My wife saw the whole thing. The ramps ended up wedged under the body. Luckily they wedged right in line with the "frame" of the car and nothing serious was damaged but my pride, the undercarriage covers, and a few of the plastic ground effects supports. The undercarriage covers had a few rips - I have now replaced them.

Rhino ramps look simply enough, but can be dangerous. I have since thrown the ramps out. I also had the "truck" rhino ramps. They simply slipped on the concrete of my garage. Brand new car and this happened. I almost had a stroke!!
that sucks, i dont think i would buy that thing either, its just no for me
__________________
2012 MCB///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,151
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Drove onto the Rhino ramps with the rear tires (exhaust work) and shot them under the car. I barely touched the gas. My wife saw the whole thing. The ramps ended up wedged under the body. Luckily they wedged right in line with the "frame" of the car and nothing serious was damaged but my pride, the undercarriage covers, and a few of the plastic ground effects supports. The undercarriage covers had a few rips - I have now replaced them.

Rhino ramps look simply enough, but can be dangerous. I have since thrown the ramps out. I also had the "truck" rhino ramps. They simply slipped on the concrete of my garage. Brand new car and this happened. I almost had a stroke!!
Interesting... I guess my concrete is much more abrasive.

Did your Rhino ramps have those anti-slip rubber pads under them?
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Interesting... I guess my concrete is much more abrasive.

Did your Rhino ramps have those anti-slip rubber pads under them?
Yes
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
Suprane's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Drove onto the Rhino ramps with the rear tires (exhaust work) and shot them under the car. I barely touched the gas. My wife saw the whole thing. The ramps ended up wedged under the body. Luckily they wedged right in line with the "frame" of the car and nothing serious was damaged but my pride, the undercarriage covers, and a few of the plastic ground effects supports. The undercarriage covers had a few rips - I have now replaced them.

Rhino ramps look simply enough, but can be dangerous. I have since thrown the ramps out. I also had the "truck" rhino ramps. They simply slipped on the concrete of my garage. Brand new car and this happened. I almost had a stroke!!
When I installed my exhaust with the Rhino ramps, I just jacked the car up from the center point (next to diff) and "place the ramps" under the wheels ( with chokes up front). One of the forum members offered this advice (elpjc) for this very reason. Quite helpful.
I still trust the ramps over the jack stands for exhaust work or diffuser install.
__________________
09 E90 M3 DCT SSII Carbon Blk, Eisenmann Sport, RAC 19"RG63 on 255/275 UltracS, Dark Sidemkrs/Reflectrs/Grills, BMC Filter, LUX H8 V3 LEDs, V1 H/W, Ultimate Pedals & 30% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

7 days and counting
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
gilbertfg
Turning wrenches for the USA since 2001!
gilbertfg's Avatar
Philippines
4
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: W166
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: EP, TX

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to gilbertfg Send a message via Skype™ to gilbertfg
I'm getting one when I get back! Being station in Germany sucks (only the garage part lol). Space is very limited. When I got to the craft shop, it's $6/hr and I take my time too when I work on my car.... So I decided to write the guy and he said he'll hook me up with a good price =)
__________________
(SOLD)97 Sentra, 93 Nx2000, 98 Sentra, 02 Sentra, 03 Nissan 350Z, 03 Dakota Stampede, 07 e90 328i & 335i, 09 e92 M3, 09 Caliber, Range Rover Sports, 12 Frontier, (STOLEN) 12 X5M, 12 ML350, 13 Sonic Turbo, 13 Focus SE, 14 Cruze TDI, 14 ML350 BT(Current) 04XB12R/Chop, 14 Ram 1500 CC, 14 ATS 2.0T
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST