BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
dibxna
Lieutenant
 
dibxna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

'TIRE PRESSURE LOW' indicator on but...

... I checked each tire individually and all are currently above 30 PSI - the rears were around 33PSI the fronts closer to 31-32PSI - does anyone know what PSI the car triggers the low pressure warning?

I presume it may be anything below 32 might trigger but wasn't sure. was running out the door (late of course) to work this morning when I noticed this and didn't have time to get to a gas station to fill with air yet... any guidance is appreciated!
dibxna is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
VonSwoopington
Captain
 
Drives: BMW M3 e90
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 636
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
... I checked each tire individually and all are currently above 30 PSI - the rears were around 33PSI the fronts closer to 31-32PSI - does anyone know what PSI the car triggers the low pressure warning?

I presume it may be anything below 32 might trigger but wasn't sure. was running out the door (late of course) to work this morning when I noticed this and didn't have time to get to a gas station to fill with air yet... any guidance is appreciated!
Put a litte bit of air in and reset the TPMS. I had to do that for the M6 but can't comment on the M3..yet.

The rear tire for the M6 should have been at 36 psi and was around 35psi. I put in a bit and reset the TPMS and the warning went away.
__________________
2011.5 JB/FR/ZCP/ZP2/ZCV/DCT/Heated Seats

VonSwoopington is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
dibxna
Lieutenant
 
dibxna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSwoopington View Post
Put a litte bit of air in and reset the TPMS. I had to do that for the M6 but can't comment on the M3..yet.

The rear tire for the M6 should have been at 36 psi and was around 35psi. I put in a bit and reset the TPMS and the warning went away.
much appreciated. I'll do this after work and update thread with results!

---filled each tire with an additional pound-2 pounds of pressure all the way around and then reset the TPM. so far no problems - thanks to vonswoopington for the saved trip to the dealer!

Last edited by dibxna; 10-19-2010 at 11:10 AM.
dibxna is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
much appreciated. I'll do this after work and update thread with results!

---filled each tire with an additional pound-2 pounds of pressure all the way around and then reset the TPM. so far no problems - thanks to vonswoopington for the saved trip to the dealer!
You have to reset the TPMS every time you put air in. Thus, when it sees pressure dip down a few psi from the last time you reset, it will trigger the light.

It looks like you already added air and reset.....just remember to reset each time you adjust pressures.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Blade929
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 435
iTrader: (2)

Hopefully not a thread jack however I had an issue the other day with my TPMS. I searched and it doesn't seem like others have had this issues however does anyone know if the system does some type of differential check after the car has been turned on.

Situation: warm fall day drove home at a spirited pace, got a good bit of heat in the tires, turned car off. That night cool night I would say 30 degree difference with rain. When I turned the car on the next morning I immediately got a low pressure warning. I did a visual inspection then drove to gas station and checked with guage. All tires read 33 lbs. Reset system. No warnings again.
Blade929 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

The TPMS triggers around 30 to 31 psi. And no need to reset the system after airing up the tires; that's a separate system that was in place before TPMS was mandated, and it's based on rotational speed differences. TPMS is a lot more accurate. But if you get the warning, you need to reset the system. Now that's getting colder, you need to check your tire pressures more often than normal until temperataures won't go any lower.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,459
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Does anyone's TPMS completely shutdown (malfunction) from time to time for no reason and then the next time you start the car it is all fine again? When it malfunctions you can not get a reading on any tires. It just says to contact your local dealer ...
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST