BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Angry Help me with my M3 Carbon Fiber misssing console...

so i ordered the OEM M3 Carbon Fiber interior trim and had it installed which looks beautiful, now the problem they face was that on the system on their database says the center console is for the M3, in CF but the one they received is for the manual 3 series....meaning the knob gap is wider and there are not Power/EDC/DSC OFF, and no DCT gear adjuster. i after house looking into the database and contacting Germany they said the center console is not available for the M3 yet! HUH? is this for real? they said they can pull my stock console(and leave the car consoleless for 3 weeks) and BMW would custom make one for me!!!! serious get real, what kind of a solution is that????????? i was out raged.....are they talking BS, does anyone have a BMW OEM DCT center console or seen one? here check out the pictures are lemme know what you think...








marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Jpete41996
Private
 
Jpete41996's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red 2010 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Moron, Spain

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Jpete41996
I remember seeing someone had a piece made for their car...but i dont remember if it was an M3 or not...did you try search?
__________________
Jpete41996 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

nope didn't search yet. but I'll look it up now, thanks!
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
 
///M Rakete's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

Posts: 856
iTrader: (0)

Here in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that the parts system is clear that it's for non-M3 E92s only. Also every picture I've seen was a non-M3 center console. I would be tempted too otherwise.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Nate@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,347
iTrader: (19)

Yep your dealership is correct at the moment BMW Performance does not offer a carbon center console for the DCT The only way to go is to have one made.
__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,750
iTrader: (1)

Doesn't the GTS have carbon fiber trim? Not sure if it is on the console though. But if it is, perhaps you could convince the right person at BMW to ship you that part.

Although depending on what you meant by "the knob gap is wider" that might still be an issue. Does that refer to IDrive? GTS doesn't have IDrive obviously, but even if it did, I didn't realize there was a difference between the IDrive cut-out for M3 vs. 3 series. Anyway, even if you have to mod that part slightly, at least you don't have to worry about the button cut-outs, which seems to me would be the toughest part to get right.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Doesn't the GTS have carbon fiber trim? Not sure if it is on the console though. But if it is, perhaps you could convince the right person at BMW to ship you that part.

Although depending on what you meant by "the knob gap is wider" that might still be an issue. Does that refer to IDrive? GTS doesn't have IDrive obviously, but even if it did, I didn't realize there was a difference between the IDrive cut-out for M3 vs. 3 series. Anyway, even if you have to mod that part slightly, at least you don't have to worry about the button cut-outs, which seems to me would be the toughest part to get right.

no the manual gap/housing i mean is that it's wider than the DCT(you know how the leaver spreads around manual tranny, while DCT is about half the size.
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Yep your dealership is correct at the moment BMW Performance does not offer a carbon center console for the DCT The only way to go is to have one made.

Hi nate, d yuo mean one made from BMW themselves or do you guys at IND custom make CF center consoles?
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,750
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
no the manual gap/housing i mean is that it's wider than the DCT(you know how the leaver spreads around manual tranny, while DCT is about half the size.
Ok I see. Well, BMW must have a similar part for the 3 series with Steptronic, though, right? Not sure if its the same cut-out, but might be a closer fit.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
ASGM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: India

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

i got d same prob though mines a 6 MT and dont have a cf center console... cant find one for a decent price
__________________
ASGM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGM3 View Post
i got d same prob though mines a 6 MT and dont have a cf center console... cant find one for a decent price
are they even available for DCT...I'd pay more!
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

M3 GTS doesn't even comes with a CF center console! very strange.

marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,750
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
M3 GTS doesn't even comes with a CF center console! very strange.

Yeah, I was affraid of that, looking at the interior pics earlier. Seems your only good option is to modify the 3 series one for the M3 button cut-outs, but I am not sure if that can be done elegantly. In any case, if you do decide to go that route, I would at least check into to getting the one for the Steptronic to see if it will fit with the DCT better.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,938
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quite simply they don't produce a center console in CF. There are aftermarket options out there though.
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Quite simply they don't produce a center console in CF. There are aftermarket options out there though.
Could you please lead me to some that match the BMW CF weave. I'm absolutely going insane without it!!!!
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
rahrah
/// csl
 
Drives: e46 m3 csl
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: uk

Posts: 36
iTrader: (0)

you could just vinyl wrap it...seen a few guys do it over here, or buy carbon sheets like from here http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/
rahrah is offline   Bangladesh
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
furolan6
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 e93
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Could you let me know where you got the CF trim and how hard it was to install? I ordered my m3 thinking the titanium shadow trim was black (it's black on the website!) but it turns out to have been gray, which is a piss poor contrast to red/black.
furolan6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,099
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Since the introduction of the Performance CF trim there was never any M3 CF console application available. Unless this dealer assumed all this time that there was a M3 CF shifter console I don't see how they found a P/N for a console that does not exist.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

The CF trim has been available for the M3 more or less since its introduction back in 2007. It's just that the center console isn't part of the trim in the M3, so there's no fitting CF center console.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 8,815
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Also, it'd be hard to match the resin coating used on the Performance CF trim. I tried with my 335xi and in the end, it did not fully match.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Kev is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #21
Brescia
New Member
 
Drives: E36, G35
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
i after house looking into the database and contacting Germany they said the center console is not available for the M3 yet! HUH? is this for real? they said they can pull my stock console(and leave the car consoleless for 3 weeks) and BMW would custom make one for me!!!! serious get real, what kind of a solution is that????????? i was out raged.....are they talking BS, does anyone have a BMW OEM DCT center console or seen one? here check out the pictures are lemme know what you think...

It sounds like they're bending over backward to accomodate you. They offered to custom fabricate this piece for you so that it matches the others. Just let them have the plastic console trim for a few weeks and then enjoy a perfect part. If that bothers you too much, buy another plastic trim piece to give them for ~AED1320 then sell it later to recoup some of the expense.
__________________
2 Wheels: 2010 BMW S1000RR / 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold) / 1999 Ducati 748
4 Wheels: 2006 Infiniti G35 6mt, 2002 BMW M3 6mt (sold), 1993 325i track toy
Brescia is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,099
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brescia View Post
It sounds like they're bending over backward to accomodate you. They offered to custom fabricate this piece for you so that it matches the others. Just let them have the plastic console trim for a few weeks and then enjoy a perfect part. If that bothers you too much, buy another plastic trim piece to give them for ~AED1320 then sell it later to recoup some of the expense.
I read it as BMW itself would custom fabricate it for him, not the dealer. Which, outside requesting -and getting the approval- an Individual build at the time of ordering the car, BMW will not do.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST