BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
bmwmthree
Captain
 
bmwmthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: so cal

Posts: 699
iTrader: (8)

Question Heart Rate Monitors

I'm looking for something for running specifically. I want it to measure how far I run, calories burned, track my performance, timer, etc.

I am thinking the Adidas miCoach would be good for me and it seems better than the Nike+ Sportband (mainly because of the coaching function).

Any recommendations?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
And BMWM3 ..I will be filing a harrasment suit against you and/or charges. See you in court very very soon. Thanks.. Have fun with your nonsense.
bmwmthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Anything that guestimates calories will be retarded. Its the least important feature.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
bmwmthree
Captain
 
bmwmthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: so cal

Posts: 699
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Anything that guestimates calories will be retarded. Its the least important feature.
i would assume, that after putting in your info, it can calculate a semi-accurate amount of calories burned it's better than nothing...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
And BMWM3 ..I will be filing a harrasment suit against you and/or charges. See you in court very very soon. Thanks.. Have fun with your nonsense.
bmwmthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Cookiemonster
Captain
 
Cookiemonster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335XI e92
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter

Posts: 791
iTrader: (2)

Garmin 110....looks like a watch....you can get it with a heart rate monitor.

Around 250.

I run 30 miles a week and cycle 100 miles a week(when warm out.)

Calories count works and is accurate.

Calories in....Calories out. Its a simple formula and the one most true and telling for weight loss.

Knowing your calories(burned and intake) and owning a scale are the two most important factors in weight control.
__________________
2007 335I sedan (retired)
2010 335xi coupe
Cookiemonster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Double Nick
Private
 
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Having run over 71,000 miles over the past 34 yrs and having used many (too many hr monitors and GPS watches) I think the Garmin FR 110 will fit the bill for you. As far as calorie expenditure the watch goes a little further than most other models. It factors age/height/weight and activity level. (There is a chart that shows your activity level based on the number of hours you exercise a week). Having averaged between 40-50 miles of running per week for over 3 decades, weight gain has not been an issue. 5'10' 145-150 lbs, age 67. My motto: Exercise for fitness:EAT foor diet. Nick
__________________
'09 128 BSM-Taupe/AT("Snoppy") my wife's.
'09 135 CR-Taupe/MT/BMW Performance Exhaust("Red Baron") my bad boy. Peacefully sharing the same garage.
Double Nick is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
bmwmthree
Captain
 
bmwmthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: so cal

Posts: 699
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Garmin 110....looks like a watch....you can get it with a heart rate monitor.

Around 250.

I run 30 miles a week and cycle 100 miles a week(when warm out.)

Calories count works and is accurate.

Calories in....Calories out. Its a simple formula and the one most true and telling for weight loss.

Knowing your calories(burned and intake) and owning a scale are the two most important factors in weight control.
thanks. i actually tried out a couple of these hrms but they're too pricey for me. i tried out the nike+ sportband (it's only $60) and it seems like it is comparable to the garmin, any opinion on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nick View Post
Having run over 71,000 miles over the past 34 yrs and having used many (too many hr monitors and GPS watches) I think the Garmin FR 110 will fit the bill for you. As far as calorie expenditure the watch goes a little further than most other models. It factors age/height/weight and activity level. (There is a chart that shows your activity level based on the number of hours you exercise a week). Having averaged between 40-50 miles of running per week for over 3 decades, weight gain has not been an issue. 5'10' 145-150 lbs, age 67. My motto: Exercise for fitness:EAT foor diet. Nick
wow, that's really impressive! but the garmin is out of my price range, i'm trying to keep it under $100 maybe if i get really serious about running i'll invest in a watch hrm like the garmin or something comparable to it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
And BMWM3 ..I will be filing a harrasment suit against you and/or charges. See you in court very very soon. Thanks.. Have fun with your nonsense.
bmwmthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Im a season cyclist and most folks I see uses Polar and will cost you about $100 at most sports stores like REI. It measures Ave HR, set target range, Calories burn.
Chest transmitter normally is good for 3 yrs with every day use. New model chest transmitter can last forever since it has a removable battery.
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
bmwmthree
Captain
 
bmwmthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: so cal

Posts: 699
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
Im a season cyclist and most folks I see uses Polar and will cost you about $100 at most sports stores like REI. It measures Ave HR, set target range, Calories burn.
Chest transmitter normally is good for 3 yrs with every day use. New model chest transmitter can last forever since it has a removable battery.
i'm gonna try out some of these fitness apps on my iPhone that can measure speed, distance, and calories burned just to see how i like it. the apps use the iPhone's gps and are supposedly pretty accurate and they're free.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
And BMWM3 ..I will be filing a harrasment suit against you and/or charges. See you in court very very soon. Thanks.. Have fun with your nonsense.
bmwmthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
E90 87ss
Lieutenant
 
E90 87ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i, W212 AMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ/Philly

Posts: 554
iTrader: (0)

I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread, my coach told me to go pick up a HRM, which after reading this thread led me to search for a used 110. Luckily I found a killer deal on one w/ HRM for $120.
E90 87ss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

I have a Garmin 305 and it is awesome. It records GPS data as well as heart rate, so you can map out your routes. You can use it with Google Earth. You upload the info from the watch via USB and can track your progress over time. If you get the foot pod sensor you can measure distance even if you're on a treadmill. You can also get a sensor for your bike, too. It can do pretty much everything.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST