BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
09AWE92M3
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 m-dct
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Getting 8000k D1S bulbs....can they melt wires/sockets/connections?

So I'm getting new light for my -09 e92 m3, and the OE light 4300K is just to yellow looking for me. And I want to get 8000k D1S instead, but I'm just worried that it will run hot and melt my wires, connections or sockets, cause I've heard some bad stories about people swapping lights and play around with different lights.

Any input would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

You'll be fine.

Standard D1S bulbs regardless of color temperature rating only draws 35W of power after they've been turned on. HIDs require ~35,000V of power to initially turn the bulbs on. After that it draws only 35W(less than a standard halogen bulb) to keep the bulbs on. The heat generated by an HID bulb is also less than that of a halogen bulb.

Vehicles that come with factory HIDs already have the electrical wiring and harnesses capable of handling that initial power at bulb start up. Bulb start up is where much of the issues occur because of the amount of power required to ignite the bulbs. Issues of melting the harness only arises if the power exceeds the handling capabilities of the wiring/harness. Some of the HID projector retro fitters out there are running higher wattage 55W HID bulbs, but this requires a larger ballast and stronger harness, but this is another issue altogether.

So you'll have no problem running 8000K D1S bulbs. However, just keep in mind the higher in temperature color you go, the less light output you'll get. There's a reason why factory equipped HIDs only come in 4,100K color rating. It gives the greatest amount of lumens(amount of light outputed by the bulbs).

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
262
Rep
17,021
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
So long as you maintain the factory 35w rating, you will be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
knext21
Subscribed
knext21's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,065
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT (sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (4)

I ran mine for over a year perfectly fine. Definitely looks better with the 8K
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
sehrgut
Major
sehrgut's Avatar
17
Rep
1,033
Posts

 
Drives: emthree
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Thats what I thought. As long as you get 35W they will be same as the OE D1S lights right?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Thats what I thought. As long as you get 35W they will be same as the OE D1S lights right?
You are correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
sehrgut
Major
sehrgut's Avatar
17
Rep
1,033
Posts

 
Drives: emthree
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
You are correct.
Yeah thats what i thought, just a different color and slightly less bright.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
09AWE92M3
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 m-dct
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

But what i dont get is, the 8000k runs a hotter temperature then the OE 4300 light. How can the 8000k not run hotter? The 8000k runs hotter inside the bulb because the color temperature is higher? Mening it must feel the need of more ampere to keep it at high temperature?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AWE92M3 View Post
But what i dont get is, the 8000k runs a hotter temperature then the OE 4300 light. How can the 8000k not run hotter? The 8000k runs hotter inside the bulb because the color temperature is higher? Mening it must feel the need of more ampere to keep it at high temperature?
The term 8000K and 4300K is a little misleading in terms of HIDs. Yes, Kelvin is a rating of the temperature of a substance, but in HID terms it is actually referring to the color rating and not temperature at all. When things reach a certain temperature(such as the stars and stuff) they will begin to emit a particular wavelength of color/light corresponding to their temperature. For example, when a substance reaches 6000K in temperature, it will emit a whitish/purple color. Likewise, if something reaches a 8000K temperature it will emit a bluish color. This is what the 8000K or 4300K is actually referring to, NOT temperature. A little misleading.

As far as HID bulb design, it is generally all the same regardless of color rating. The light in an HID bulb is actually generated by an arc and not a filament like traditional halogen bulbs. Mercury vapor in combination with xenon gas and some salts when excited with moving electrons will begin to give off visible light. A mixture of different gases is responsible for the different colors. What the gas combination is, I'm not sure.

So to answer your question. The bulb does not need to draw more ampere to generate a higher "temperature" color. The mixtures of gas used is responsible for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Eurotrash8
Captain
Eurotrash8's Avatar
Hong Kong
14
Rep
623
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (4)

what I want to know is what BRAND of HID bulb is the best in terms of OE quality, fitment, and durability?

Phillips Utilion (spelling)?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Eurotrash8
Captain
Eurotrash8's Avatar
Hong Kong
14
Rep
623
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
The term 8000K and 4300K is a little misleading in terms of HIDs. Yes, Kelvin is a rating of the temperature of a substance, but in HID terms it is actually referring to the color rating and not temperature at all. When things reach a certain temperature(such as the stars and stuff) they will begin to emit a particular wavelength of color/light corresponding to their temperature. For example, when a substance reaches 6000K in temperature, it will emit a whitish/purple color. Likewise, if something reaches a 8000K temperature it will emit a bluish color. This is what the 8000K or 4300K is actually referring to, NOT temperature. A little misleading.

As far as HID bulb design, it is generally all the same regardless of color rating. The light in an HID bulb is actually generated by an arc and not a filament like traditional halogen bulbs. Mercury vapor in combination with xenon gas and some salts when excited with moving electrons will begin to give off visible light. A mixture of different gases is responsible for the different colors. What the gas combination is, I'm not sure.

So to answer your question. The bulb does not need to draw more ampere to generate a higher "temperature" color. The mixtures of gas used is responsible for that.
Perfect explanation
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
21
Rep
760
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 加州到台北

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
so I have a question! does HID have the capability to cause issues to wires around the ECU? I talked to someone today and they were complaining that HID's cause some wires near his ECU to turn black. He said because of this he removed them... I was a bit confused at how this would happen. Anyone with more knowledge can chime in. Thanks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
what I want to know is what BRAND of HID bulb is the best in terms of OE quality, fitment, and durability?

Phillips Utilion (spelling)?
Philips is known for making quality bulbs. Most car manufacturers will use philips as OEM bulbs. The philips Utilion are a 6000K color and are quite expensive.

Osram also makes good HID bulbs too. Both are German made bulbs, so they must be good.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaSai.M3 View Post
so I have a question! does HID have the capability to cause issues to wires around the ECU? I talked to someone today and they were complaining that HID's cause some wires near his ECU to turn black. He said because of this he removed them... I was a bit confused at how this would happen. Anyone with more knowledge can chime in. Thanks
Nope. HID wires run no where in the ECU. He might have another issue. HID wires run from the power supply to the ballast located under the headlight assembly, which is responsible for supplying voltage and power to the bulbs. HID wires are generally strong enough to handle this power.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
21
Rep
760
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 加州到台北

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
Nope. HID wires run no where in the ECU. He might have another issue. HID wires run from the power supply to the ballast located under the headlight assembly, which is responsible for supplying voltage and power to the bulbs. HID wires are generally strong enough to handle this power.
that's what I thought too. where is the ECU located anyways?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaSai.M3 View Post
that's what I thought too. where is the ECU located anyways?
Once you open the hood, the ECU is located in the top left corner towards the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
21
Rep
760
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 加州到台北

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
btw, i'm talking about aftermarket HID's here, does that make a difference?
running on a ballast
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
sehrgut
Major
sehrgut's Avatar
17
Rep
1,033
Posts

 
Drives: emthree
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Buckshizzo is quite the lightexpert, answering everybodys questions!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

No doesn't make a difference at all. Ballast is a ballast, it just provides power to the bulbs. D1S bulbs have a built-in igniter on the bulb.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #20
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
buckshizzo's Avatar
3
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
Buckshizzo is quite the lightexpert, answering everybodys questions!
Haha...I use to play with a lot of HIDs. I use to do HID projector retro fitting back during my Honda S2K days. I had a lot of people ask me to retro fit HID projectors into their stock headlights. I played with almost every projector out there. I played around with different lenses and projector combination to get the right light output.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do much to my S2K because it was one of the best projectors on the market. I gave it up because it was a shit load of work!

There's people out there that know a heck of a lot more than I do! I don't know anything compared to those guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Eurotrash8
Captain
Eurotrash8's Avatar
Hong Kong
14
Rep
623
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshizzo View Post
Philips is known for making quality bulbs. Most car manufacturers will use philips as OEM bulbs. The philips Utilion are a 6000K color and are quite expensive.

Osram also makes good HID bulbs too. Both are German made bulbs, so they must be good.
Thx...any idea where to buy the philips? There are so many venders that look shady so I dont want to end up getting fake crap.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #22
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
21
Rep
760
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 加州到台北

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Buckshizzo, so your saying that the Ballast HID kits that are being sold here do not interfere with the wiring of the ECU at all? I don't know why the local shop here told me that HID kits sold by Camaross caused his wires near ECU to turn black.

I do know that HID's create some heat, and I've driven with them on for about 15 mins. I popped the hood open and touched all the wires that were part of the HID, none of them were hot enough to melt. They were just warm at best.

Also from the wiring, nothing is even close to the ECU. From my knowledge, the power from these HID kits are powered on the side directly from the power source and managed by the drivers on the harness. therefore, the ECU wires have nothing to do with this.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST