BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

10-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
SchwarzerM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 E90

What happens after the resistant-point on the accelerator?

Hello,

I guess I got a pretty dumb question
If you push down the accelerator appx. 3/4, you'll reach an resistant point. While driving in D-mode and pushing the accelerator past that point, the car shifts down several gears at once....Im wondering if I drive the car in S-mode and I dont go past the resistant point, does the engine provides 100% of it's power or do I have to push the accelerator past the point to get the max pull??? Just want to make sure I use all of the 414 ponies

Alex
      10-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
1MORELAP
Captain

Drives: '13 Audi S4

The "resistant" point is also called kick down. Its basically there to force an immediate downshift to lowest possible gear. Its a way for you to tell the car, I want it all and I want it NOW because there is a guy with a machine gun pointed at me... (I digress.)

Right before that point you may or may not be getting the full power. The only way to determine that is to plug in a computer and ask the car to tell you the throttle position (shown in percentage 0-100%) and or intake opening. If both show 100% then you are getting all the power but may or may not forced the car to shift. If the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) shows less than 100% and pressing the pedal to the ground changes it to 100% then... well you get it, you are getting only that percentage.

I do believe that you do not need to go past that point to get TPS to read 100%.

All ECU tuners would know this as that is one of the settings they play with.

Tomasz

1MORELAP is offline   United_States
      10-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
SchwarzerM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
The "resistant" point is also called kick down. Its basically there to force an immediate downshift to lowest possible gear. Its a way for you to tell the car, I want it all and I want it NOW because there is a guy with a machine gun pointed at me... (I digress.)

Right before that point you may or may not be getting the full power. The only way to determine that is to plug in a computer and ask the car to tell you the throttle position (shown in percentage 0-100%) and or intake opening. If both show 100% then you are getting all the power but may or may not forced the car to shift. If the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) shows less than 100% and pressing the pedal to the ground changes it to 100% then... well you get it, you are getting only that percentage.

I do believe that you do not need to go past that point to get TPS to read 100%.

All ECU tuners would know this as that is one of the settings they play with.

Tomasz
Hello Tomasz,

great answer, thanks a bunch.
I'll get a software update next week (DCT) at my dealer, once the car is hooked up to the diagnosis I asume they can check this for me right?

Alex
      10-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
MysticBlue
Major

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe

When you touch the kickdown point, you are at 100% open throttle position. No need to activate kick down if you don't want to.
Push it harder and it activates the kick down which will do the following...
In D mode, tranny goes to lowest gear possible.
In S mode, it does nothing on it's own, but if you call for a downshift while the kickdown is pushed then it does the same thing it does in D mode... it goes directly to the lowest possible gear.
      10-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
MRE90M3
"its baby blue m3 to you sir."

Drives: Silverstone Metallic II

Send a message via AIM to MRE90M3 Send a message via MSN to MRE90M3 Send a message via Skype™ to MRE90M3
hey bud,

I am also curious, as i have a 6mt pre 08 production (assuming since purchased feb. 2008), When i kick the throttle to full acceleration vs the Power button and Full acceleration, i dont feel a difference.. im going to assume that they are both at 100 percent except the power is more sensitive through the RPMs.

Is this correct?
sorry to intrude your post.. just looking for answers =D
MRE90M3 is offline   United_States