BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Mental Health

Everything on here seems to be geared toward physical health, and this is somewhat understandable. But I am curious to know if people in here are considering their mental health as well, and if so what you are doing?

I post this because like many, I have always considered the physical aspect first and have spent years associating a "healthy" image solely with successful in-shape people who eat right and what have you. However, these same people are often very distraught, feel unnecessarily unfulfilled with their lives, and often portray other undesirable personality traits.

If you are like I was, and ignore the mental aspect for whatever reason (ignorance, indifference, etc), I urge you to consider it. I rarely post in here so I am not sure of the prevailing dynamic, but hopefully the discussion will be civil (provided one ensues)
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
 
lopealle's Avatar
 
Drives: Lion
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA

Posts: 2,245
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 M5  [5.00]
I myself go to a behavoiral health clinic weely. I suffer from depression, so the the doctors say. I also had a problem with anger management. I would definitely give people the business for any type of slight disrespect. Anyways I agree mental health is just as important as physical.
lopealle is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
What does a "behavioral clinic" entail? Speaking with a psychiatrist? Taking assessment tests? I've just never heard of that term before
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
TiAg335i
Trance Life
 
TiAg335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 4,710
iTrader: (4)

it's funny...i'm probably happier now when I am not working out than when I was working out only a couple months ago. i stopped working out because of an injury...but just goes to show the physical and mental can and do work independently of each other. i used to think happiness was related to how 'jacked' i was....but now I find that happiness comes from the inside - the 'little' things in life that count for so much. i am a simple guy, and something as insignificant as a good song can make my day.

it really is a shame our society is so focused on the 'image' we portray, and not the inner person. we could solve so many problems by focusing on mental health just as much as we focus on physical health.
TiAg335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
 
lopealle's Avatar
 
Drives: Lion
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA

Posts: 2,245
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
What does a "behavioral clinic" entail? Speaking with a psychiatrist? Taking assessment tests? I've just never heard of that term before
its pretty much where us soldiers go to speak to pschyiatrist (not sure on the spelling.) So yeah thats what that place is.
lopealle is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
just goes to show the physical and mental can and do work independently of each other.

it really is a shame our society is so focused on the 'image' we portray, and not the inner person. we could solve so many problems by focusing on mental health just as much as we focus on physical health.
I agree that often physical and mental health are not necessarily dependent on one another, but think there is good reason for why often the first "prescription" for mental health issues relate to getting the physiological system in order, IE correcting diet, exercise, and sleeping routines. Many choose an unhealthy lifestyle and without knowing it are suffering psychological consequences.

Of course you run into mental diseases where, by nature, the person cannot live a physically healthy life (bulimia, alcoholism), but these are also some pretty extreme examples of mental illness. For those exhibiting mild enough symptoms of depression or anxiety, simple physiological fixes may improve the situation and eradicate their symptoms. If they pervade however, psychiatric care is certainly advisable.
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
its pretty much where us soldiers go to speak to pschyiatrist (not sure on the spelling.) So yeah thats what that place is.
It's good that you've recognized your need for that and are not ashamed as many "tough guys" like to act as if nothing affects, internalizing things allowing them to fester and sneak through in strange ways...uncalled for bouts of aggression, periods of uncharacteristic highs/lows, etc.

Sidenote: not sure what browser you're using but Chrome will underline misspelled words and allow you to right click and choose from a list of similar options - pschyiatrist -> psychiatrist
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,846
iTrader: (0)

Eating healthy is a big part of mental health. If you eat crap than your body chemistry goes way off. I know that when I eat like crap im either a tired lazy ass or a pissed off ass.

Me time is also a big component of mental health for me. I go off and play on my xbox or work on the car. If all I did was go to work and spend time with my GF than id probably go insane. And ive been with her for two years and will probably marry her.
__________________
BrokenVert is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
 
lopealle's Avatar
 
Drives: Lion
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA

Posts: 2,245
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
It's good that you've recognized your need for that and are not ashamed as many "tough guys" like to act as if nothing affects, internalizing things allowing them to fester and sneak through in strange ways...uncalled for bouts of aggression, periods of uncharacteristic highs/lows, etc.

Sidenote: not sure what browser you're using but Chrome will underline misspelled words and allow you to right click and choose from a list of similar options - pschyiatrist -> psychiatrist
Yeah dude there is definitely no shame in going to see a doctor for mental problems. You wouldn't beleive how many soldiers are embarassed to seek help. They assume that your crazy when you go up there. In the army there is alot of "macho-ness" for some reason. If you get hurt and go see a doctor then that makes you a wimp automatically. It's sad but true. I tell new soldiers all the time if you feel down go talk to somebody. It's even worse in Iraq. If your on the road alot over there more than likely you will get ambushed or shot at on your to your destination. I don't know about you but when it happen to me it was a definite wake up call I was traumatized for a little bit. Still these new soldiers act like they are machines ands don't seek any help. When they get home they kill their families and themselves. Anyways enough with my rant.

Sidenote: not sure what browser you're using but Chrome will underline.

What is chrome?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Eating healthy is a big part of mental health. If you eat crap than your body chemistry goes way off. I know that when I eat like crap im either a tired lazy ass or a pissed off ass.

Me time is also a big component of mental health for me. I go off and play on my xbox or work on the car. If all I did was go to work and spend time with my GF than id probably go insane. And ive been with her for two years and will probably marry her.

You are totoally right about eating healthy. I have a back injury right now and like a dumbass I was eating unhealthy and what not. I went from 187lbs to 250lbs in 2 years. I went sexy to ewww lol. I'm still battleing the weight as we speak. I have lost 20lbs and that just from eating right. I agree on the time also. I have a wife and 2 kids and sometimes you just need time for yourself. So now I have made a new rule where everyday after work when I come. Nobody bother me for an hour after I get home (Plenty of time for fapping lol) works out perfect.
lopealle is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,846
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post

What is chrome?

You are totoally right about eating healthy. I have a back injury right now and like a dumbass I was eating unhealthy and what not. I went from 187lbs to 250lbs in 2 years. I went sexy to ewww lol. I'm still battleing the weight as we speak. I have lost 20lbs and that just from eating right. I agree on the time also. I have a wife and 2 kids and sometimes you just need time for yourself. So now I have made a new rule where everyday after work when I come. Nobody bother me for an hour after I get home (Plenty of time for fapping lol) works out perfect.
Chrome is the web browser made by Google.

Im in a similar situation. I had a huge asthma attack 3 years ago and I sat on a couch for 10 months while on steroids. I went from around 160 up to 270 and im only now fully controlled. With a better diet Ive dropped to just below 250 which is where im at now. Ive just started working out again and Im hoping to get under 200 before the summer. But I have to go slowly because the asthma threat is still there. It sucks man I feel like life just sorta bitch slapped me and I was really depressed until I met my GF.

Having somebody like you for who you are rather than being rejected cause im heavy is a good confidence booster. And I figure that if shes willing to be with me when im disgusting than I found a keeper.

It helps that shes really into Baseball and Roller coasters too.
__________________
BrokenVert is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

I have repeated dreams about killing kittens. But I always look so sexy while doing so.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Bri, youre not like on the edge of cutting your wrists or something are you? I can drive up and give you a hug its what you need (no homo - I'll leave Al at home).
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Hahaha no just curious as my gf is pulling a 180* and going into psychiatry...got surprised that nothing came up in the health section when I searched it
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,274
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Problem with mental health, at least in some regions, is that there is a lot of misdiagnosis.

There is a lot of misinterpretation of anxiety & panic disorder with mixed dysthymia that is being called "bipolar" disorder. Then they get on antipsychotics that inevitably turns the dysthymia into depression or major depression.

When someone is bipolar, they go through manic, sometimes almost psychotic fits, which requires different medication as opposed to just simply treating the above disorders for what they are.

Obviously the best way to prevent problems is to start by talking to your regular medical doctor, and they should redirect to a psychologist/psychiatrist as appropriate.


Last problem is the entire world thinking "there's a pill for it". This desire to be medicated instead of counseled leads to major problems in some.
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Last problem is the entire world thinking "there's a pill for it". This desire to be medicated instead of counseled leads to major problems in some.
I don't believe psychiatrists will diagnose a mental disability and prescribe medication without continuing counsel. I think there is a larger issue of physicians prescribing psychoactive compounds and sending the patient on their way. I have experienced this myself - ignorantly trusting a qualified professional stepping out of their "realm" if you will, and predictably without success.
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I don't believe psychiatrists will diagnose a mental disability and prescribe medication without continuing counsel. I think there is a larger issue of physicians prescribing psychoactive compounds and sending the patient on their way. I have experienced this myself - ignorantly trusting a qualified professional stepping out of their "realm" if you will, and predictably without success.
I'm attempting to sleep with most of the female clinical psych. class. So far, so good.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
 
lopealle's Avatar
 
Drives: Lion
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA

Posts: 2,245
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 M5  [5.00]
So I was at my mental health doctor on wednesday and I was told that I suffer from insomnia and later I would be tested for sleep apnea. I told him that my wife tells me that I talk and move alot in my sleep and she says I stop breathing. So I get prescribed pills called Trazodone. Let me tell you almost bad as Seroquel. I had dreams that people were trying to kill me and then when I woke I was thinking my wife was trying to do the same thing. I was pretty fucked up. It was crazy.
lopealle is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I'm attempting to sleep with most of the female clinical psych. class. So far, so good.
I'd never see a female psychiatrist
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I'd never see a female psychiatrist
I've seen 2 these past couple weeks
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

Although the first one just posted that country song about destroying her cheating boyfriends car.

I'm actually slightly worried. Most of the females in the field I've met are severely disturbed.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Psukhe
Private
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canuckia

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Problem with mental health, at least in some regions, is that there is a lot of misdiagnosis.
some.

That's really all regions -- because the diagnoses themselves are often pretty loose and, or inaccurate to begin with.
Psukhe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST