BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
gdavie
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 M5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: alabama

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Wheel/tire reommendations

I am waiting on my 2011 M3 and want some recommendations on 19" wheel offsets and tire recommendations. It is my desire to keep the diameters within 3% of stock but get the most rubber under the car without rubbing. My car has the competition package and is 10mm lower than w/o the comp package.

I have been reading and looking at threads for days and I see a lot of people with rears at 295, 305 and even 315 that claim no rubbing and many have been lowered. I see fronts from 245 to 285. It seems with right offset a 275 305 set up would work with the right tires and offsets on the wheels. But will the diameters be close enough to stock to not cause problems with spedo and dct or whatever you call it. I do not want to use spacers.

Thanks for any recommendations.
gdavie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,598
iTrader: (14)

Unless you go on the track or have a supercharger, there is no need to significantly up size your tires. 255/275 should be a good street combo.

Also keep in mind that wider tires needs wider rims to be fully effective.

M3's electronics are quite forgiving to allow a wide range of tire diameters. I, for example, have 265/35/18 and 295/30/18, which are way off the factory sizes.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
HP Man
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Batmobile
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 306
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
M3's electronics are quite forgiving to allow a wide range of tire diameters. I, for example, have 265/35/18 and 295/30/18, which are way off the factory sizes.
Can you elaborate on what you meant by this? On the street I run 275/30/19 and my speedometer and odometer are way out of calibration due to the smaller circumference tire (i.e. the electronics do not adjust the speedometer or odometer).
HP Man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
gdavie
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 M5
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: alabama

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

I found the following information on another thread.

9.5" et22 275/30
10.5" et25 305/30

The post didn't indicate weather 19 or 20" rims but I am assuming 19" since thread was about 19" rims. Also no indication of tire brand. I know tires are not the same even if they have same specs.

Anybody have this set up that can tell me the brand tires you are running and weather there is any rubbing?
gdavie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Dodge2Dub
Captain
 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 910
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavie View Post
I found the following information on another thread.

9.5" et22 275/30
10.5" et25 305/30

The post didn't indicate weather 19 or 20" rims but I am assuming 19" since thread was about 19" rims. Also no indication of tire brand. I know tires are not the same even if they have same specs.

Anybody have this set up that can tell me the brand tires you are running and weather there is any rubbing?
Why stagger? Thought about running 10" rims all around with 275's? That should give you great track and street performance with minimal/no understeer. Thoughts?
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Dodge2Dub is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,598
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Man View Post
Can you elaborate on what you meant by this? On the street I run 275/30/19 and my speedometer and odometer are way out of calibration due to the smaller circumference tire (i.e. the electronics do not adjust the speedometer or odometer).
By electronics I mean DSC, ABS, etc. I don't care for slight out of calibration of the speedometer/odometer.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST