BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
JDy80
Captain
China
52

 
JDy80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Conti SportContact 3 Discontinued

Just thought I'd fire this out there. Took my car in today to get my passenger side front replaced due to a bubble. Dealer told me they were able to find one, but these are discontinued anyway. Was thinking of switching to Pirelli P-Zero or PS2's. Wish mine had come with the PS2's in the first place. Does anyone know why BMW switched to Conti's then back to PS2's?
__________________


2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
45

 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (3)

A little off topic, but I just switched my worn out Hankook V12s for Continental DWs a few weeks ago. The are 285/35/R18 at the rear and 265/35/R18 up front. So far, after 650 miles, I have been really impressed with their wet and dry grip despite being a harder compound (340).

The only odd thing is that the tread is asymmetric, so the tread sipes on the right point the opposite direction to the sipes on the left. I haven't detected any strange handling in the wet or dry with driving or heavy braking, so it seems alright from a handling standpoint. I checked in with TireRack and they kind of confirmed that the tires were installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
33

 
Ferre86's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Turkey


Posts: 948
iTrader: (0)

ohh please DO NOT get any product of Conti, i used to have Conti SportContact 3 on my 3.35 , tire has short life and damaged from inside was not able to notice.. thats was a peaceofshit i switched back to Yokoma Advan, great handling with great pleasure i would call this as a tire but from my experince never ever again Conti..
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ferre86

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
16

 
///V\3Dude's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I <3 NY


Posts: 464
iTrader: (2)

Conti's ExtremeContact DWs wet traction is pretty impressive I've had them for 1,200 miles now and they do the job real well\


285/30/19 245/35/19
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
59

 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA


Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre86 View Post
ohh please DO NOT get any product of Conti, i used to have Conti SportContact 3 on my 3.35 , tire has short life and damaged from inside was not able to notice.. thats was a peaceofshit i switched back to Yokoma Advan, great handling with great pleasure i would call this as a tire but from my experince never ever again Conti..
You're in the minority, pal.

Yours is the first negative comment I've seen on the Contis other than they aren't very good on the track. I've had a couple of sets that were fantastic.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Richbot
Colonel
41

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
A little off topic, but I just switched my worn out Hankook V12s for Continental DWs a few weeks ago. The are 285/35/R18 at the rear and 265/35/R18 up front. So far, after 650 miles, I have been really impressed with their wet and dry grip despite being a harder compound (340).

The only odd thing is that the tread is asymmetric, so the tread sipes on the right point the opposite direction to the sipes on the left. I haven't detected any strange handling in the wet or dry with driving or heavy braking, so it seems alright from a handling standpoint. I checked in with TireRack and they kind of confirmed that the tires were installed correctly.
What wheels are you using these with? Any pics? These are on the short list for my next set of tires, in those sizes.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
221

 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 6,803
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre86 View Post
ohh please DO NOT get any product of Conti, i used to have Conti SportContact 3 on my 3.35 , tire has short life and damaged from inside was not able to notice.. thats was a peaceofshit i switched back to Yokoma Advan, great handling with great pleasure i would call this as a tire but from my experince never ever again Conti..
Had them on my wifes 07 335 cab for about 20000 kms with very good results.They wore quite well and the ride was quite good and worked very well in the wet.The dry grip was not as good as a PS2 but a decent everday performance tire not a track day tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
calintexas
Major
United_States
24

 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas


Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Does anyone know why BMW switched to Conti's then back to PS2's?
BMW hasn't switched, Michelin and Conti are both suppliers of tires for the M3 and have been from E9X M3 production start. It's just luck of the draw which tires a specific car gets.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
191

 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: Green Bastard
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend


Posts: 3,554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre86 View Post
ohh please DO NOT get any product of Conti, i used to have Conti SportContact 3 on my 3.35 , tire has short life and damaged from inside was not able to notice.. thats was a peaceofshit i switched back to Yokoma Advan, great handling with great pleasure i would call this as a tire but from my experince never ever again Conti..
I disagree, I've been very impressed with the CS3 on my M3. Great dry and wet handling. I only use R-comps for track events, but the CS3 are great daily driving tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
You're in the minority, pal.

Yours is the first negative comment I've seen on the Contis other than they aren't very good on the track. I've had a couple of sets that were fantastic.
Agreed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
45

 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
What wheels are you using these with? Any pics? These are on the short list for my next set of tires, in those sizes.
These are on the stock 18" OEM rims. I can post a pic up at some point. Obviously, the tires bulge out a little due to the extra width compared to the stock sizes, but it it no unsightly by any means, but if you want a 'crisp', squared off look this might matter. The rears fill the tire well okay without spacers, you could push them out with a 5mm spacer I guess, but I am not bothered so much. I had 15mm spacer at the rear with the Hankook 265/35/R18s and they were pretty flush, so with an extra 5 mm, you could get the same effect. The tires up front fit well and do not rub. I have 265/35/R18 tires for the track, so I knew they would fit.

I haven't pushed the lateral handling, but the launch and emergency brake () traction is terrific. I was worried that a "340" tire would be a lot harder/less grippy, even with an extra 4/5" tread width. I cannot vouch for wear yet and I won't be using them on the track unless it rains!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Richbot
Colonel
41

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
These are on the stock 18" OEM rims. I can post a pic up at some point. Obviously, the tires bulge out a little due to the extra width compared to the stock sizes, but it it no unsightly by any means, but if you want a 'crisp', squared off look this might matter. The rears fill the tire well okay without spacers, you could push them out with a 5mm spacer I guess, but I am not bothered so much. I had 15mm spacer at the rear with the Hankook 265/35/R18s and they were pretty flush, so with an extra 5 mm, you could get the same effect. The tires up front fit well and do not rub. I have 265/35/R18 tires for the track, so I knew they would fit.

I haven't pushed the lateral handling, but the launch and emergency brake () traction is terrific. I was worried that a "340" tire would be a lot harder/less grippy, even with an extra 4/5" tread width. I cannot vouch for wear yet and I won't be using them on the track unless it rains!
Yeah, would love to see some shots because I knew that size combo would work, just interested in clearances and how pinched they are. My 275/40's on the stock rears aren't pinched by any means, but they also have a much taller sidewall. My working theory is that 265/295 or 265/285 should be very doable on the stock wheel widths, and 285/305 with 30 aspect ratio if one were to autocross or race in a class that required stock wheel widths, but I have thousands of miles to go before I have a good reason to put my own money up on that theory. If I was going to track this car I wouldn't fart around with street tires anyway, I'm too used to slicks and DOT R's to go back to the pain of street tires. Even the really good ones are kindof like banging your head against the wall.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
JDy80
Captain
China
52

 
JDy80's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 778
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to JDy80
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
BMW hasn't switched, Michelin and Conti are both suppliers of tires for the M3 and have been from E9X M3 production start. It's just luck of the draw which tires a specific car gets.
Really? I though the Conti's hadn't come into the picture until 2010. If they are still supplying them, anyone know what kind of tire they are using now? I'm guessing it would be the new SC5's. Can anyone confirm? I think the Conti's are pretty good, but haven't experienced the PS2's to judge.
__________________


2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
45

 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, would love to see some shots because I knew that size combo would work, just interested in clearances and how pinched they are. My 275/40's on the stock rears aren't pinched by any means, but they also have a much taller sidewall. My working theory is that 265/295 or 265/285 should be very doable on the stock wheel widths, and 285/305 with 30 aspect ratio if one were to autocross or race in a class that required stock wheel widths, but I have thousands of miles to go before I have a good reason to put my own money up on that theory. If I was going to track this car I wouldn't fart around with street tires anyway, I'm too used to slicks and DOT R's to go back to the pain of street tires. Even the really good ones are kindof like banging your head against the wall.
I'll post tonight...as long as I don't get a public whipping for brake dusty rims!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Richbot
Colonel
41

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I'll post tonight...as long as I don't get a public whipping for brake dusty rims!
Yeah, be careful, if you post pics of your car without spacers and a drop you'll get horsewhipped.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
45

 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, be careful, if you post pics of your car without spacers and a drop you'll get horsewhipped.
Here you go, the light wasn't great, I didn't do any cleaning, and I need a beer!

The car is on Eibach springs, and the exhaust is a Magnaflow. I am trying to think where the mud came from!
Attached Images
         
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
Dave07997S
Colonel
60

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA


Posts: 2,544
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDy80 View Post
Really? I though the Conti's hadn't come into the picture until 2010. If they are still supplying them, anyone know what kind of tire they are using now? I'm guessing it would be the new SC5's. Can anyone confirm? I think the Conti's are pretty good, but haven't experienced the PS2's to judge.
My first E46 M3 came with Contis, while my 04 E46 M3 came with Mich's. My 2011 ZCP car came with Contis.
Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Richbot
Colonel
41

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Here you go, the light wasn't great, I didn't do any cleaning, and I need a beer!

The car is on Eibach springs, and the exhaust is a Magnaflow. I am trying to think where the mud came from!
Thanks! That looks just about perfect.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST