BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

09-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #23
MONSTER11
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
The article is unsophisticated, demagogue-rhetoric, that unfortunately stokes the fears of many who don't or can't think independently. In the current political environment, it's easy to stir the latent emotions and predilections of the so- inclined.
In other words, it's the not so "politically correct" truth...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #24
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

I don't know what the fix is, but i know it's not bigger government.

Seems to me that if the fed raised interest rates and banks started lending money that people would buy things. Banking, auto, and other industries would start profiting while also paying their debts. Just a couple of points would result in a large volume of cash pulsing through the economy.

I'm sure that's over simplified, but seems logical to me.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I don't know what the fix is, but i know it's not bigger government.

Seems to me that if the fed raised interest rates and banks started lending money that people would buy things. Banking, auto, and other industries would start profiting while also paying their debts. Just a couple of points would result in a large volume of cash pulsing through the economy.

I'm sure that's over simplified, but seems logical to me.
The reason any of us can go out and even GET a loan is due to the massive injection of liquidity by the Fed. If they raised interest rates, you would have more foreclosures, increasing mortgage and interest rates, leading to a drop in lending. It's simple economics, if you raise interest rates, you DECREASE the money supply (less people can afford to borrow) by RAISING the cost of buying anything on credit.

If you meant that the Fed should lend more...well, it can't. It has limited monetary power; it has already dropped its lending rate to banks to near 0%, and it's overnight lending rate is already at 0%. And printing more money is asking for trouble.

Simple story is there is no 'easy fix'. The government needs to do its part to better regulate the financial sector to prevent another catastrophic failure, and to keep people 'busy' in the event unemployment continues to rise. If you think things are bad right now, going towards a balanced budget would result in further layoffs, an increasing unemployment rate, and eventually societal chaos (great depression anyone?). The government also needs to be cognizant of its spending power, and to eliminate these useless projects that are constantly being funded. Now is NOT the time to 'smack down' on big business, reform the healthcare industry, etc. Instead, spend on things that will feed back into the economy - education, infrastructure, R&D, etc. These sorts of projects will pay massive dividends once the economy pulls itself out of the recession, not unlike the interstate highway project of the '50s or the Autobahn project in Germany of the '30s, or China as of late.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #26
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: "transportation" for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER11 View Post
In other words, it's the not so "politically correct" truth...
No, monster11, it's the comforting lies that you categorically and blissfully accept, to make yourself feel better.

Last edited by blueshark; 09-16-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
MONSTER11
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
No, monster11, it's the comforting lies that you categorically and blissfully accept, to make yourself feel better.
Point out these lies you speak of...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
scott_uw
Teatime
Rep

Drives: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
There in lies the majority of the problems with our political system. Each side thinks it is 100% correct and they spend all of their time just trying to woo the folks in the middle to believe their way is correct. The constant bashing has got to go. Bush shouldn't be blamed for 9/11, but he did start a war of choice in Iraq. Obama shouldn't be blamed for the recession/near depression but he did choose to reform healthcare rather than focus on unemployment.

Running the USA is an impossible job and everyone that has tried it has failed at some portion of it. That includes Presidents and Congress.

Completely agree that term limits are necessary and that career politicians, regardless of party, are bad for America. They all lie, cheat and steal so limiting their time in office is the only way to limit the damage they can cause.

Quote:
oh the joys of politics. selfish lying bastards...
Quote:
It's always the "other guys" in politics..that's why nothing gets done in a two-party system, just partisan bs and tons of hype so that they get elected...then when they do they realize they don't have the magic wand either
well said.

I think there's a number of detriments in America that hinder the nation as a whole.

> 2 party system(with 3/4 of the politicians bought off from both parties it seems more like a .5 party nation)
> Career politicians
> Country seems too big for its own good which causes the following;
> Massive amount of lobbyists
> Massive amount of lawyers/capita
> Corporate, social & religious lobbying has ridiculous influence
> Editorial based news has displaced real news by far(journalism seems dead in America)
> Seemingly one set of rules for the rich and one for everyone else
> All speech between parties seems vitriolic and steadfast, there's never a viability for real debate and also inability to move from dogma by citizens, who seem dead-set on holding a line rather moving towards a goal or realization of a more effective system

Personally and to that end I think the 'every man for himself' mentality isn't an effective way to improve quality of life as a nation. Call me altruistic but I would hope most people would see improving quality of life as a great goal for a great nation to focus on. A nation like America. The current American Ethos of focusing on personal wealth without much thought for morality bothers me, and the forced typecast of the welfare queen or lazy public servant to subject that little morality bothers me even more.

I do like America but I cannot stand your politics and politicians.
Appreciate 0