BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Flavio Briatore

So he was on the grid at Monza, so I'd like to start a little conversation about him.

What are people's opinions of this guy? I think he is bad news, and will only detriment F1 further by being around. He has already been banned (but apparently that wasn't enough.)

I feel similar things with Alonso. Wherever Alonso has gone he has created drama. I wonder if he got stuck in this kind of situation from his association to Briatore.

Am I just completely missing something? Or is he just as shady as I assume?
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Major General
 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 8,015
iTrader: (7)

If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck........
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•VRS Hyper-Narrow rear wing•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•KW Clubsport•H&R ARBs c/w Turner Adj Links•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
inTgr8r is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 2,064
iTrader: (0)

I don't mind Flavio.
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
URBAN LEGEND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 61,106
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Couldn't care much....but there was once he make things happen....and he still got some "friends" around the "f1 industry"...
however crashgate is definitely bad for the sport..
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,266
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Mosley and Ecclestone are far worse for F1 than some goofy playboy with blue spectacles. Flav is no worse than countless other charismatic owners, and Crashgate isn't any worse than weekly events by the boys at Mac or Fezza.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

hes cool he got heidi
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So he was on the grid at Monza, so I'd like to start a little conversation about him.

What are people's opinions of this guy? I think he is bad news, and will only detriment F1 further by being around. He has already been banned (but apparently that wasn't enough.)

I feel similar things with Alonso. Wherever Alonso has gone he has created drama. I wonder if he got stuck in this kind of situation from his association to Briatore.

Am I just completely missing something? Or is he just as shady as I assume?
Douche. A cheat in F1 and a tax cheat outside of F1.

Honestly, I can't believe he's even allowed to be at the races. They should have banned him entirely.
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

What's the deal with that guy? Please enlighten me .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...sh_controversy
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,266
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...sh_controversy
Do you think this is unusual? See Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for a long list of team orders, intentional crashes and silly stunts. Hell, David Coulthard spent most of his career intentionally obstructing red cars, and occasionally driving into them. It's part of the sport, why treat Renault like a criminal when the bigger teams have been getting away with it for years?
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.
Thanks buddy . And I thought he crashed due to a 'team order' to let Alonso pass him and was pissed off about it, but the team order was to crash on purpose. Oh boy. Talk about a lose-lose situation for that guy. And suggesting that snake of Alonso didn't know was an insult to the intelligence; he's not only a cry baby, but a cheat and an a-hole. Glad the issue came out to ouster the snake behind it. Would that 'team order' be legal if team orders are reinstated? After all, ALL team orders affect race results. If team orders are reinstated, I'll probably stop watching F1.

Anyway, that incident effectively cheated Massa of the championship, as he was winning that race, and would have definitely gathered more than one point, making him the champion over Hamilton. Can he make a claim for the championship? But even if he gets it, it's not the same, I'd guess. What a mess. And all just for cheats who want to win at any cost.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 252
iTrader: (0)

For what its worth, he did contribute bringing in alot of commercial money for F1.
1BMW4fun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you think this is unusual? See Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for a long list of team orders, intentional crashes and silly stunts. Hell, David Coulthard spent most of his career intentionally obstructing red cars, and occasionally driving into them. It's part of the sport, why treat Renault like a criminal when the bigger teams have been getting away with it for years?
Because as with most things of this nature, Renault got caught. End of story.

Also, this happened.

Quote:
39.1 Team orders which interfere with a race result are prohibited.
2010 FIA Sporting Regulations
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,266
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I see your point.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
woodpecka
Captain
 
woodpecka's Avatar
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 997
iTrader: (2)

I worked for him during 2 years and there is my opinion:

Pros:
- Marketing
- Know how to make $

Cons:
- No interest in motorsport and engineering
- Bad President management approach
- No team spirit
woodpecka is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I worked for him during 2 years and there is my opinion:

Pros:
- Marketing
- Know how to make $

Cons:
- No interest in motorsport and engineering
- Bad President management approach
- No team spirit
Did you work directly with him? Or more just under him and was able to easily obverse him?

I ask because, I'm curious if you can assess whether you think CrashGate was his idea or not.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
vgame64
Colonel
 
vgame64's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 2,480
iTrader: (9)

__________________
Car:2008 E90 335i | BSM | ZPP | ZSP | 6AT Paddles | Black Leather | Dark Burl Walnut | Heated Seats
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
vgame64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
 
Spec Volcanic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...sh_controversy

Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO...

1) The can ask/tell you to do I lot of thing for the good of the team with I would do like try to hold up other cars the you are a head of because you have yet to pit, to help open a window for your team mates pit stop.

(It is a team sport after all)

But Crashing because you were asked to is going too far.

2) Piquet Jr, had no trouble crashing for the team until he was going to lose this sit (why was he going to lose his spot, because he was only useful to the team was a moving slalom cone)

3) He try to Black Mail Renault, he is not a man of honour who went to F1 when he saw wrong doing... he kept it to himself and then try to use it to keep a F1 sit he only had because of this last name.

4) He acted as was hero, after crashing and blackmailling his team.
HE is the ONE person that could have insured the crash never happpen.
HE could have gone to the FIA went he was asked

5) Look at all racing, all teams are pushing the limits of the rules all the time, sometimes they cross the line... that is racing.
Spec Volcanic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
scott@bmwhn
Major
 
Drives: Msport 328i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (3)

^goes to show what lots of money can do for you...Bastard lol
__________________
13' Msport 328i _Mperformance - Modulare - H&R_

Previous: 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i

Last edited by scott@bmwhn; 09-16-2010 at 09:59 AM.
scott@bmwhn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO...

1) The can ask/tell you to do I lot of thing for the good of the team with I would do like try to hold up other cars the you are a head of because you have yet to pit, to help open a window for your team mates pit stop.

(It is a team sport after all)

But Crashing because you were asked to is going too far.

2) Piquet Jr, had no trouble crashing for the team until he was going to lose this sit (why was he going to lose his spot, because he was only useful to the team was a moving slalom cone)

3) He try to Black Mail Renault, he is not a man of honour who went to F1 when he saw wrong doing... he kept it to himself and then try to use it to keep a F1 sit he only had because of this last name.

4) He acted as was hero, after crashing and blackmailling his team.
HE is the ONE person that could have insured the crash never happpen.
HE could have gone to the FIA went he was asked

5) Look at all racing, all teams are pushing the limits of the rules all the time, sometimes they cross the line... that is racing.
Not disagree'ing with this. Just curious who instigated the idea.
__________________
UltimateBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO....
He's not; he was asked. The 'really' bad guy, was the idiot who authorized the scheme, in this case Briatore. Doesn't matter who came up with the idea IMO. He could have said NO, and it'd have been the end of the story. When you do something stupid like that, you're always subject to black-mailing, even among family members or close associates; it happens all the time.

Now, that Picket is an a-hole, a coward, and whatever else you want to call him, there's little argument. He probably accepted/proposed the 'order' because he figured he'd be assured a seat for his silence, knowing his talent wasn't enough to do that. Typical scum. But even if he wasn't in favor of it, he'd have been between a rock and a hard place; no subordinate should ever be put in that situation.
This reminds me of all the a-hole politicians, who call 'loyalty' having to cover for them for whatever crap they do, legal and illegal. And what's even worse IMO is the stupid subordinates that even go to jail to cover their 'masters'. And at the other extreme, there're the 'Pickets' who use that to their advantage, but who's fault is it?

Last edited by elp_jc; 09-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
woodpecka
Captain
 
woodpecka's Avatar
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 997
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Did you work directly with him? Or more just under him and was able to easily obverse him?

I ask because, I'm curious if you can assess whether you think CrashGate was his idea or not.
I worked in the team..enough high in the structure to know how this guy was managing the team.

I don't know for the crashgate...but I would not be surprised. The issue appeared just before I left the team.
woodpecka is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST