BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #45
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
25

 
G-Mach1's Avatar
 
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary-AB


Posts: 757
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Not to be overly cynical, but who is keeping track of the number of engines? Please don't tell me it's the honor system! Clearly if one blows during a race everyone knows, but what's to stop a team from changing an engine inbetween races and just not saying anything?

Are the engines somehow marked?
Yes they are marked . I read that in one of the F1 racing issues. Let me find it.

Last edited by G-Mach1; 09-13-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #46
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
190

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Not to be overly cynical, but who is keeping track of the number of engines? Please don't tell me it's the honor system! Clearly if one blows during a race everyone knows, but what's to stop a team from changing an engine inbetween races and just not saying anything?

Are the engines somehow marked?
http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #47
escobar929
Brigadier General
61

 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL


Posts: 4,303
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Not to be overly cynical, but who is keeping track of the number of engines? Please don't tell me it's the honor system! Clearly if one blows during a race everyone knows, but what's to stop a team from changing an engine inbetween races and just not saying anything?

Are the engines somehow marked?
another thing to consider is, if the engine is still healthy, they can reuse it. so just cause they switched to a new one, it doesnt mean they cant use an older one down the line

lol honor system no such thing in racing
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #48
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
161

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,067
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
another thing to consider is, if the engine is still healthy, they can reuse it. so just cause they switched to a new one, it doesnt mean they cant use an older one down the line

lol honor system no such thing in racing
There are rule for re-use as well.
I don't recall the details though.
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #49
matrix76
Major
Canada
50

 
matrix76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC


Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (1)

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
53 laps and it all came down to a few seconds in the pits.
+100

I agree, Alonso couldn't get it done, the pit crew did. At this level of racing he is a boring driver, spends more time whinning than racing. Too bad about Hamilton, but thats racing.
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #50
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Ferrari pit crew should be proud of what they've done! Payback for Singapore 2008...

that 0.8 secs made them zero to hero!

McLaren did an average pit stop, but Ferrari did the perfect one...simply superb!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #51
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
134

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
McLaren did an average pit stop, but Ferrari did the perfect one...simply superb!
Almost perfect ; RedBull did the best , and I think they broke a record. But Vettel didn't need the quickness; he could have sold that 0.8sec to Button for some serious cash . The good news for us (and bad for Alonso) is Ferrari will go back to not being competitive on the last 5 races, but you never know what else could happen. The odds are incredibly high he won't win the driver's championship. Or Ferrari the constructor's one. But yes, anything can happen as long as it's mathematically possible.

Hey, 2 questions:
- Does Ferrari brag on its cars constructor's titles, driver's, or both? They're the only car maker that has the most to win and lose from F1, no? Of course they made it that way when on a winning streak.
- What the heck does the 'S' and 'F' mean below the prancing horse? Just curious.

Last edited by elp_jc; 09-13-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #52
SonnyJack
First Lieutenant
United_States
15

 
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD


Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
lol honor system no such thing in racing
Exactly!!! That's why I'm hoping somehow they are tracked.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #53
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Almost perfect ; RedBull did the best , and I think they broke a record. But Vettel didn't need the quickness; he could have sold that 0.8sec to Button for some serious cash . The good news for us (and bad for Alonso) is Ferrari will go back to not being competitive on the last 5 races, but you never know what else could happen. The odds are incredibly high he won't win the driver's championship. Or Ferrari the constructor's one. But yes, anything can happen as long as it's mathematically possible.

Hey, 2 questions:
- Does Ferrari brag on its cars constructor's titles, driver's, or both? They're the only car maker that has the most to win and lose from F1, no? Of course they made it that way when on a winning streak.
- What the heck does the 'S' and 'F' mean below the prancing horse? Just curious.
I remember Ferrari had a logo of Constructors championship on the next year's car, remember seeing one on the top of the airbox-roll protection of Kimi's 2008 car. Some leaf decoration and marking saying Constructor championship 2007 or something.
S - Scuderia
F - Ferrari
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #54
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #55
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
91

 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT


Posts: 5,161
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Holy shit!!! That looks really really bad! They played it off like it was a scrape but he was getting looked over but he looked like he got tossed like a rag doll!!
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #56
SonnyJack
First Lieutenant
United_States
15

 
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD


Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Holy shit!!! That looks really really bad! They played it off like it was a scrape but he was getting looked over but he looked like he got tossed like a rag doll!!
Why the hell didn't the lollipop guy see this???!!! Guy standing in front of rear wheel is normal??!!! C'mon fella!

Dude looks like he got really messed up. Any update on his condition?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Why the hell didn't the lollipop guy see this???!!! Guy standing in front of rear wheel is normal??!!! C'mon fella!

Dude looks like he got really messed up. Any update on his condition?
He's fine, concious and talking to the doctor.
and HRT was fined for the indicent - unsafe release of car.

http://planet-f1.com/news/18227/6373...tlane-incident
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #58
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
134

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
remember seeing one on the top of the airbox-roll protection of Kimi's 2008 car.
Thanks buddy. But I was referring to road cars. There's a plaque inside the glovebox, with the years they've won, but I was wondering if that included constructor titles, driver's, or both. They've had nothing to brag about for a while now .

Oh man, that accident was horrible. No wonder pit lane was closed for 1/2-hr, but Speed only said due to an 'incident'. He got banged up pretty bad. And you can't expect drivers to be checking for anything: all they're seeing is their flag guy, and when he lifts the sign, they're GONE!! It's their job, but I imagine drivers feeling like crap when something like that happens. Hope he fully recovers.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #59
KANdaddy
Lieutenant Colonel
84

 
KANdaddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali


Posts: 1,709
iTrader: (4)

Very entertaining race. Esp the part where Hamilton broke. Seriously tho, great race....can't wait to see how the season plays out. Although I have my favorites to root for....whoever ends up winning the title this year will have really earned it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #60
escobar929
Brigadier General
61

 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL


Posts: 4,303
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
wow, that accident was pretty bad. Incredible mistake by the lolipop guy, cant believe the speed commentators played it out like it was the guys fault since he wasnt used to standing in an F1 pit lane
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #61
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
wow, that accident was pretty bad. Incredible mistake by the lolipop guy, cant believe the speed commentators played it out like it was the guys fault since he wasnt used to standing in an F1 pit lane
I dont think SPEED guys saw what actually happened, the FOM broadcast never showed what happened.
I didn't even know the pit lane was closed until the live timing shown pit lane was reopened.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #62
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
190

 
UltimateBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South


Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
wow, that accident was pretty bad. Incredible mistake by the lolipop guy, cant believe the speed commentators played it out like it was the guys fault since he wasnt used to standing in an F1 pit lane
What? Did he just forget these cars had the wheels on the outside?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #63
inTgr8r
Major General
Canada
161

 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto


Posts: 8,067
iTrader: (7)

Hard to say for sure, but the LP guy might have had his sight line obscured with the guy bent over behind the driver.
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•RPi GT exhaust•Fabspeed Headers•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•H&R COs + ARBs•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #64
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
update on the HRT radio engineer...

http://planet-f1.com/news/18227/6376...ecovering-well

Quote:
The Hispania mechanic who was injured during Sunday's Italian Grand Prix is 'out of danger'.

The unnamed mechanic was making adjustments to Sakon Yamamoto's radio during a routine pitstop when the team's lollipop man released Yamamoto prematurely.

As the Japanese driver drove off, the mechanic was thrown to the ground, resulting in injuries that required the trackside ambulance to be called to the pits to attend to him.

Two days later, the news on the mechanics condition is positive.

"Our colleague is still in hospital under observation," an HRT team spokesperson GPUpdate.

"He is out of danger but he will still have to stay in hospital until the doctors say so, as he suffered a very hard fall.

"He suffered a cranioencephalic traumatism and has hurt his neck and damaged one of his knees."

Hispania were fined $20,000 by the race stewards for the unsafe release of a driver.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #65
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
894

 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .


Posts: 61,158
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Hard to say for sure, but the LP guy might have had his sight line obscured with the guy bent over behind the driver.
the lollipop man sometimes forget (they should never though)...there's an extra engineer or mechanic working on the car during pit stop....once he saw the four hands from the wheel gun guys raise...his instinct tells him to lift and let the car go ASAP....this is more or less what happened to HRT....

the lollipop man just simply "forgot" there's someone still working around the car....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #66
SonnyJack
First Lieutenant
United_States
15

 
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD


Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
the lollipop man sometimes forget (they should never though)...there's an extra engineer or mechanic working on the car during pit stop....once he saw the four hands from the wheel gun guys raise...his instinct tells him to lift and let the car go ASAP....this is more or less what happened to HRT....

the lollipop man just simply "forgot" there's someone still working around the car....
Ownership should now "forget" to sign his paycheck. Putz.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST