BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Extended warranty or not? Extended maintenance or not?

Today, I have owned my 2011 for 4 months and I have more than 8000 miles on it. If I continue at this rate I'll get to 100K in 4 years. Anyone with experience about BMW extended warranty/maintenance? Recommendations? No don't get those? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
5

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA


Posts: 297
iTrader: (1)

How long do you plan to keep the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
How long do you plan to keep the car?
5 years
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
jdgamble
First Lieutenant
10

 
jdgamble's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 391
iTrader: (0)

I think your total on both of those will be in the $8K neighborhood... maybe a little more. Well worth it if you really plan on keeping it for the full 100K. A set of brakes almost pays for the maint, and out of warranty repairs on this car are going to be silly expensive.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan / Space Gray / 6MT / Few Frills / Low Weight / Lots of Fun

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
LeifW
Captain
22

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Today, I have owned my 2011 for 4 months and I have more than 8000 miles on it. If I continue at this rate I'll get to 100K in 4 years. Anyone with experience about BMW extended warranty/maintenance? Recommendations? No don't get those? Thanks
Just curious, what's the cost of the extended warranty?

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
Just curious, what's the cost of the extended warranty?

Leif W.
I couldn't find the price for the extended warranty. The 6year/100,000 miles extended maintenance is $3,300
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
14

 
=[monkey]='s Avatar
 
Drives: sc m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston


Posts: 356
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I couldn't find the price for the extended warranty. The 6year/100,000 miles extended maintenance is $3,300

is it 6 year/100,000 miles as in your 4 year that you already have plus 2 years? so your basically paying 3300 for 2 more years on top of your 4 year you alraedy got??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
134

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Those deals are almost always a rip-off for the consumer. And I wouldn't even consider it if you're not going to get to one of the limits (either years or mileage). There're A TON of exclusions, so if you're going to consider it, I'd read the contract IN ITS ENTIRETY. In most such plans, most electronic components are excluded, except drivetrain related ones. I believe clutch is excluded too, but check. I'd put that money aside and pay for repairs as they come. The odds are heavily in your favor to come out ahead, but it's your call. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by =[monkey]= View Post
is it 6 year/100,000 miles as in your 4 year that you already have plus 2 years? so your basically paying 3300 for 2 more years on top of your 4 year you alraedy got??
That's one way of looking at it, if you're a low milage/year owner. But for some like me, I'll be out of warranty at 50,000 miles which will be 2-2.5 years max. So the way I'm looking at it is $3300 fir 50,000 more miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Those deals are almost always a rip-off for the consumer. And I wouldn't even consider it if you're not going to get to one of the limits (either years or mileage). There're A TON of exclusions, so if you're going to consider it, I'd read the contract IN ITS ENTIRETY. In most such plans, most electronic components are excluded, except drivetrain related ones. I believe clutch is excluded too, but check. I'd put that money aside and pay for repairs as they come. The odds are heavily in your favor to come out ahead, but it's your call. Good luck.
I absolutely see your point and that's why I'm trying to get real life experience from other M3 owners who may have used this. I never considered this extended stuff on any of my cars before but with BMW (my first) I'm a little skeptical about the cost of any repair meanwhile hoping that their program is mire decent than "ford" fir example.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
BMW003E
Lieutenant
United_States
7

 
BMW003E's Avatar
 
Drives: One car at a time
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tri-Cities, WA


Posts: 473
iTrader: (2)

When I was getting a BMW extended warranty for my wife's 330i, I looked at the warranty cost sheet for my M. The BMW extended warranty (the premium one with all the bells and whistles) is going to run ~$7000. Whether it's worth it will depend on how well the cars hold up in the long run once the original warranties expire.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
29

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary


Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

I paid $2000 for 3 yrs extended warranty(not maintenance) additional to the manufacturer's 4yrs for a total of 7 years. This was the very top of the line plan available and purchased through a Canada BMW dealership which covers absolutely everything! It's also excellent for resale, is transferrable, and refundable (pro-rated).

I'm sure you guys in the States have similar programs and at the right price(which is negotiable too) is an excellent addition to the car for peace of mind and resale.

I'd rather spend that two grand this way than on useless mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
piloto
Captain
13

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 835
iTrader: (0)

Here's the pricing for the extended warranty. There are different grades, starting with just powertrain to platinum, which includes the electronics including iDrive. These are said to be the MSRP figures. With apologies to Clarkson, some say that you can negotiate a better price, and that there are wholesale prices available somewhere to be found.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW EVP AND CATEGORIES.pdf (174.5 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by piloto; 09-07-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
59

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago


Posts: 3,243
iTrader: (0)

am definitely in the same boat. 4 months 9k, but have done 3 track days, exhaust, tune, dinan stg 3 susp, wheels, and planning on a bunch more track days (2 more this season). should i even bother, or is it that i've made my bed, keep my fingers crossed, and drive every day like it could be the last
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
93

 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA


Posts: 4,617
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
for the $3500ish dollars to upgrade the warranty to powertrain plus for 6/100k is a great deal imo. like others have said the brakes for example will run you easily twice as much. in the long run i think its a great bargain.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
sameh
Major
United_States
61

 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorean View Post
I paid $2000 for 3 yrs extended warranty(not maintenance) additional to the manufacturer's 4yrs for a total of 7 years. This was the very top of the line plan available and purchased through a Canada BMW dealership which covers absolutely everything! It's also excellent for resale, is transferrable, and refundable (pro-rated).

I'm sure you guys in the States have similar programs and at the right price(which is negotiable too) is an excellent addition to the car for peace of mind and resale.

I'd rather spend that two grand this way than on useless mods.
Was that a 3 additional years regardless if milage. If so, that IS a great deal. If I keep my M for 7years it should probably have 150K on it. Seriously?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
NetBoy
Private
11

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast


Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

I paid $1,500 for 2 extra years (exp 10/2014) and 85K total miles. Mercury Insurance group. Penfed sold me the warranty so I thought the company should be OK. Read some good reviews online for Mercury.

My dealer quoted me $4k for the extended maintenance which I thought was really high. I paid $1,600 for my 03 M3. I remember you can shop around at other dealers. There was one in CA that had this price but my dealer matched it.
It was worth it. I had front and rear brakes replaced, one oil change and Inspection II. All done under the extended maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
dmw16
Captain
42

 
Drives: 2005 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland


Posts: 931
iTrader: (1)

I am in a similar situation with my 135i in that I'll hit the mileage well before hitting the time limit. I am not sure if I'll extend the maintenance but the warranty I will almost certainly get.

I figure that the odds are in BMW's favor (because they are doing this to turn a profit), but piece of mind is worth a lot to me with as much as I drive my car.

The maintenance side will come down to what's covered and what it costs. If a clutch is covered that it's almost a no-brainer right there. If not it requires more thought. Again, piece of mind and 0-hassle is worth something.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
riyatch
Lieutenant
11

 
riyatch's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vegas


Posts: 470
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Here's the pricing for the extended warranty. There are different grades, starting with just powertrain to platinum, which includes the electronics including iDrive. These are said to be the MSRP figures. With apologies to Clarkson, some say that you can negotiate a better price, and that there are wholesale prices available somewhere to be found.
Thanks for this.
Does anyone know the specifics of what each level covers?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
46

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 加州到台北


Posts: 760
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
I'm assuming all ur care are virgins. Meaning no modifications. If you mod, there isn't a point of extending warranty
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
dmw16
Captain
42

 
Drives: 2005 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland


Posts: 931
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
Thanks for this.
Does anyone know the specifics of what each level covers?
http://www.bmwsantabarbara.com/MiscPage_2
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
Flumazenil
Private First Class
United_States
15

 
Drives: 2011.5 MW M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas


Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
for the $3500ish dollars to upgrade the warranty to powertrain plus for 6/100k is a great deal imo. like others have said the brakes for example will run you easily twice as much. in the long run i think its a great bargain.
Are you guys paying 7k for a brake job?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST