BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source

08-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #45
bonedoctor
Dreamer

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SG

Here's something else to consider: the unknown effect of the F30 M3.

Every new M3 generation has a slightly different effect on the price of the previous generation. Since we can't predict the next generation's effect, we might as well let BMWFS take the risk by leasing with a fixed residual value.

We also don't know the direction of the economy in 3-4 years.

If residuals increase at that time, then wonderful, buy the car cheap at lease end! If the bottom falls out either because of the F30 or because of the economy, then you have a great option to walk away and buy a CPO or buy a used for much less, or even buy an F30 M3.

Why have buyer's remorse? Let someone else take the risks. (Including the risk that some idiot Los Angeles driver hits me while texting, and the value dropping like a fly)
bonedoctor is offline   United_States
      09-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #46
Greer
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 M5

Buy a 2 year old car. You can still right part of it off on taxes every year and gets you out of the cycle of sending a lease payment in every month.
      09-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #47
saeyedoc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Buy a 2 year old car. You can still right part of it off on taxes every year and gets you out of the cycle of sending a lease payment in every month.
Buying used to me (or new for that matter) only makes sense if you plan on keeping the car a long time and then sell it privately.
The problem is everytime you trade a car to the dealer, they want to make about $5k on the deal. As stated above, if there was any kind of body damage, they claim diminished value and you lose again.
The problem is there's not much market for a 6 year old high-end car with 70k+ miles on it. Sure, if you can sell the car privately you can do ok, but it's a pain to deal with.
Some dealers are also trying to charge crazy money for CPO vehicles.
I spent the weekend looking for cars for my wife and 85yo MIL to share.
One Mercedes dealer wanted almost $38k for an '09 C350 with 300 miles on it (demo).
Found the same options on a new 2010, was able to get it for invoice-$4500, ended up being several thousand less than what the other dealer wanted for the '09 CPO.
      09-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #48
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
You know you can also write off the car on taxes if you own it and you have a business or are self employed.
The difference on taxes vs a business vehicle being lease vs being bought is minimal..
unless you know something I dont.
I have been writing off business vehicles that are leased and owned and its about the same tax savings.
No, you can write off 5/7ths of the taxes on the lease unless you can justify using the car 7 days for work. But how much are the taxes anyway? Leasing doesnt make sense anymore if you really scrutinize the numbers, as well as all the other bullshit that goes along with it. Dings & scratches; tire tread depth; mileage; and anything else that's above and beyond "normal wear & tear.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
      09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
crackberry
Major

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

i just like to outright buy the car. that is the cheapest way to buy a car because no interest. thats where they get you and the true price that you pay starts to go up. imo, its the best way to handle it because you pay less in the long run. i hand them a check, and i fully own the car from the second i walk out the dealership.
crackberry is offline   United_States
      09-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #50
crackberry
Major

Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkraven View Post
And there's the sucker punch! Ouch!
its true.
crackberry is offline   United_States
      09-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #51
saeyedoc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
i just like to outright buy the car. that is the cheapest way to buy a car because no interest. thats where they get you and the true price that you pay starts to go up. imo, its the best way to handle it because you pay less in the long run. i hand them a check, and i fully own the car from the second i walk out the dealership.
Only the cheapest way if you can earn less on your money than the interest you would pay.
If you can borrow money for 0.9%, some would say you would be foolish for paying cash.