BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
JZ69
Private
United Kingdom
3

 
Drives: M3 E90 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London


Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Tesco 'Momentum'/Super unleaded

Hi everyone.

I've just bought a 59 plate M3 saloon and as I am getting to the end of my first tank, I am considering the best options to refill. Seeing as I'll be doing this fairly regularly (previous car was a 330D.....) I wanted to know your opinions on the Tesco super unleaded, recently rebranded as 'Momentum'.

The car manual states not to drive with fuels with a high Ethanol content and never with E85 (85%ethanol, 15% petrol). I was under the impression Tesco's super got its RON of 99 from a reasonable amount of ethanol content and so was wondering if this was suitable. Have any of you tried it and if so, what do you think.

Many thanks,

J
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

I don't use the Tesco one but I no others who do and they say its ok.

Shell V Power all the way for me mate!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1

 
swanny71's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK (North West)


Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Only ever used V-Power or Tesco 99 in the M3 (and the TVR before it) and can't tell any difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
38

 
Donbona's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London UK


Posts: 1,668
iTrader: (0)

Just use Shell V-power to beon the safe side.
__________________
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
15

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England


Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Shell V power is easily the best. I get kangarooing similar to the old e46 with Tesco 99. Failing that, the BP 97 is ok
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
KadeSdad
Colonel
42

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Just use Shell V-power to beon the safe side.
Liking the new avatar Taz!

(if you still have the C/Box pm me your paypal address)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
35

 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,580
iTrader: (0)

I've been using Tesco 99 for a year or so having switched from Shell V power. I prefer Tescos fuel as it seems to give a performance edge over V power.
See also:
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...s_Update.shtml
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Bolt
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

whichever you choose - suggest you buy shares in the company .........as you will use lots of it !
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
ROCKYJET
New Member
0

 
Drives: M3 E92 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK


Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I've been using Tesco 99 for a year or so having switched from Shell V power. I prefer Tescos fuel as it seems to give a performance edge over V power.
See also:
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...s_Update.shtml
Ive always gone the extra mile to use optimax as it used to be called and now V power in my old Z4 as I could always tell the difference.

Thing is, since I got the M , I've struggled to note the difference.
Started to use Tesco 99 a few tanks back and my buttometer says it definitely pulls stronger. Just my pennies worth
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Ant Man
Major
England
15

 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia


Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I've been using Tesco 99 for a year or so having switched from Shell V power. I prefer Tescos fuel as it seems to give a performance edge over V power.
See also:
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t...s_Update.shtml
Thorney's are sponsored by Tesco so they are not exactly impartial.

I think Fastford did a test recently of Vpower v's Tesco and Vpower came out top.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
35

 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,580
iTrader: (0)

Fair enough...even so my own feeling is that the Tesco fuel "suits" the E9x M3s engine, I used Vpower for years (have the loyalty card and everything) and only reluctantly filled up at Tesco the first time when my usual Shell garage was out and against expectation the car seemed to run slightly better. Since then I have only used Vpower when I can't find a Tesco garage and the car always seems "off colour" when I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Ant Man
Major
England
15

 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia


Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Fair enough...even so my own feeling is that the Tesco fuel "suits" the E9x M3s engine, I used Vpower for years (have the loyalty card and everything) and only reluctantly filled up at Tesco the first time when my usual Shell garage was out and against expectation the car seemed to run slightly better. Since then I have only used Vpower when I can't find a Tesco garage and the car always seems "off colour" when I do.
Interesting. I'm loathed to use Tesco for anything as I hate their business model. I don't suppose you know if their fuel contains detergents and who makes it?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
35

 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Interesting. I'm loathed to use Tesco for anything as I hate their business model. I don't suppose you know if their fuel contains detergents and who makes it?
Sorry mate, haven't the faintest.
(Don't know whether you guys have already covered this but....) What can cloud the issue is the "adaptive" nature of the ECU, which not only has to recalibrate itself to varying fuel octane but also reacts to driver style (in an attempt to increase economy in periods of calm driving).
So if you are used to a certain level of performance from one type of fuel and then fill up with a different one while the ECU is in "economy mode" your reaction can be that of disappointment when you first put your foot down.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Steveo
Lieutenant
Scotland
7

 
Steveo's Avatar
 
Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland


Posts: 446
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Sorry mate, haven't the faintest.
(Don't know whether you guys have already covered this but....) What can cloud the issue is the "adaptive" nature of the ECU, which not only has to recalibrate itself to varying fuel octane but also reacts to driver style (in an attempt to increase economy in periods of calm driving).
So if you are used to a certain level of performance from one type of fuel and then fill up with a different one while the ECU is in "economy mode" your reaction can be that of disappointment when you first put your foot down.
So, do we need to reset it?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
United Kingdom
35

 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,580
iTrader: (0)

Well according to the Master Tech I spoke to, a period of sustained WOT and high revs will set the ECU back to high performance mode.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST