BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #507
3s-a-charm
Major
 
3s-a-charm's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E70 X5 3.5i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 1,143
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Heading to Race City tomorrow (Wednesday) between 5-9pm for a lapping event. Come out and visit...
__________________

13 X5 xDrive 35i M-Sport Black/Oyster (Hers)
07 X5 4.8i Sport Black/Black (Winter/DD)
03.5 M3 Cabriolet Steel Grey on Black (Summer Fun)
PAST: 08 E92 M3, 08 535xiT, 06 E90 325i, 87 E30 325i, 85 E30 318i
3s-a-charm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #508
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 254
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
You have PM.
Yo,
Was that a supersprint exhaust on your ride?
Looked like it and sounded like it...
I passed you in a black suv on Dearfoot.
b
Brianrg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #509
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrg View Post
Yo,
Was that a supersprint exhaust on your ride?
Looked like it and sounded like it...
I passed you in a black suv on Dearfoot.
b
No I have an Encore titanium catback unit.
Yeah recognized ya and waved...wheres the STI?
__________________
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #510
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Going to Race City tomorrow with the Exotic Auto Group. Should be another great day. Last time the new Ferrari 458 showed up! Anyone else coming??
__________________
Certified High Performance Driving Instructor - BMW of North America, Porsche Club of America / Chief In-Vehicle Instructor - Fleet Safety International
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #511
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
 
e85sbm's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 & E89
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 388
iTrader: (2)

Just wanted to drop by and say Hello. Considering a trade-up to an M3, but am uncertain as the car will be a daily driver.....last winter wasn't much fun in my 135.
e85sbm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #512
sparkyg
Brigadier General
 
sparkyg's Avatar
 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

Posts: 3,493
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
Just wanted to drop by and say Hello. Considering a trade-up to an M3, but am uncertain as the car will be a daily driver.....last winter wasn't much fun in my 135.
The M3 is a peice of cake to drive in the winter with dedicated winter tires

I was surprised it was so easy. No problems at all. I have driven a 335xi, TL, Accords. This is by far the best car to drive.

But...dont turn off your traction control or you will crash. It really is that simple.

I wonder if it has to do with the 50/50 balance. The car is so simple to get around in.

GL but you'll have no problems in the winter. Calgary esp., you guys have lightweight winters down there
sparkyg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #513
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

I agree the M is easy to drive in the winter. Put on good winter tires, and drive appropriately. Only all-wheel drive would be better and that's only if it's driven properly...
Clearance in heavy snow in my only issue.
__________________
Certified High Performance Driving Instructor - BMW of North America, Porsche Club of America / Chief In-Vehicle Instructor - Fleet Safety International
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #514
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
 
e85sbm's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 & E89
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 388
iTrader: (2)

I have had no issues in the past few years driving a 2006 Z4 and a 2009 135i.

My only issue is finding the right winter tires. My 135 currently has Dunlop WinterSport 3D which I bought from Tire Rack. I am not that happy with them, since the ice traction is not great, but the snow and warm weather traction is pretty good.

Would you recommend getting Blizzak's or another type of winters for an M3?

Thanks,
e85sbm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #515
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
I have had no issues in the past few years driving a 2006 Z4 and a 2009 135i.

My only issue is finding the right winter tires. My 135 currently has Dunlop WinterSport 3D which I bought from Tire Rack. I am not that happy with them, since the ice traction is not great, but the snow and warm weather traction is pretty good.

Would you recommend getting Blizzak's or another type of winters for an M3?

Thanks,
That Dunlop tire is one of the best all around winter performance tires on the market and is still relatively good on ice. You will sacrafice dry perfromance and deep snow grip that tires offers by focusing on a better ice tire.
TailHappyM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #516
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
 
e85sbm's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 & E89
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 388
iTrader: (2)

How many of you actually drive your M3 or non-xdrive BMW year round?
e85sbm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #517
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azorean View Post
That Dunlop tire is one of the best all around winter performance tires on the market and is still relatively good on ice. You will sacrafice dry perfromance and deep snow grip that tires offers by focusing on a better ice tire.
Seriously? Wow, so many different opinions. I HATED the Dunlop. Horrible on snow and in the winter that's ALL I focus on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
How many of you actually drive your M3 or non-xdrive BMW year round?
My modded M is my year round vehicle.
__________________
Certified High Performance Driving Instructor - BMW of North America, Porsche Club of America / Chief In-Vehicle Instructor - Fleet Safety International
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #518
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
How many of you actually drive your M3 or non-xdrive BMW year round?
I did with my E46 M3 on those Dunlop tires and had no problems at all. I also drove the 335d with all season performance tires and that was a bit more tricky given all that torque, 425 lbs.
TailHappyM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #519
tuco44
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 E82 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
How many of you actually drive your M3 or non-xdrive BMW year round?
Yep.
__________________
2012 135i E82 MSport 6MT Jet Black

Previous BMWs - 2012 135i MSport LMB DCT(sold), 2011 X3 35i MSport VR (sold), 2009 M3 Sedan AW (sold), 2008 535xi MSport AW (sold), 2007 328xiT Barbera (sold), plus 11 others in the 70s & 80s.
tuco44 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #520
Eurotrash8
Captain
 
Eurotrash8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Posts: 623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
Seriously? Wow, so many different opinions. I HATED the Dunlop. Horrible on snow and in the winter that's ALL I focus on.
I had the 3D's on my Audi for 2 winters and performed remarkably well compared to Hakkas, X ice, and Blizzaks performance wise.

Living in Calgary (somewhat mild climate with Chinooks) that is IMO the best choice of tire. 80-90% of the winters here are somewhat mild with very little to no ice and snow on the roads. I drive pretty spirited in winter with 3D's & Quattro and I wouldnt dare to hit speeds around corners with other winter tires.

Are there better performing winter tires on Ice...of course there are but you will most definitely be sacrificing performance.
__________________
Eurotrash8 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #521
3s-a-charm
Major
 
3s-a-charm's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E70 X5 3.5i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 1,143
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
How many of you actually drive your M3 or non-xdrive BMW year round?
My M3 is driven all year as well. I put on a set of Pirelli winter tires and had no problems other than the deep snow (and ice) ruts that formed in the back lane which provided clearance issues.

Got stuck once when I backed into a downhill drift but that was stupidity more than inability of the car!

M3 is a great winter vehicle - for me it would be better if it had a hydraulic air-ride lift option for winter!
__________________

13 X5 xDrive 35i M-Sport Black/Oyster (Hers)
07 X5 4.8i Sport Black/Black (Winter/DD)
03.5 M3 Cabriolet Steel Grey on Black (Summer Fun)
PAST: 08 E92 M3, 08 535xiT, 06 E90 325i, 87 E30 325i, 85 E30 318i
3s-a-charm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #522
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
 
e85sbm's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 & E89
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 388
iTrader: (2)

Thanks for the feedback, I know that BMW loves the 3D tires, but I think it is mainly for their dry weather performance and speed ratings.....I will have to take another M3 for a test drive and decide if this is the direction I want to go.

I just saw that the X1 will be available next May/June...hmmm, options, although VERY different vehicles.
e85sbm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #523
M3NOLA
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
I'm planning on getting the Laser Interceptor laser jammer installed. Do any of you know a shop that knows how to install them properly (leveling, passing the firewall, etc.). Also, do any of you have any experience with laser jammers in Calgary? I've heard most of the police in Calgary use laser instead of radar so I'm starting to feel naked driving without some protection.

P.S. I'm getting 3M clear bra installed at Shadow Tinting today. I'm hoping it comes out okay when I pick it up.
__________________
1982 MB 300D--->2002 Ford Mustang 5MT--->2009 E92 M3 6MT
M3NOLA is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #524
Jimmer
Private First Class
 
Jimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NOLA View Post
I'm planning on getting the Laser Interceptor laser jammer installed. Do any of you know a shop that knows how to install them properly (leveling, passing the firewall, etc.). Also, do any of you have any experience with laser jammers in Calgary? I've heard most of the police in Calgary use laser instead of radar so I'm starting to feel naked driving without some protection.

P.S. I'm getting 3M clear bra installed at Shadow Tinting today. I'm hoping it comes out okay when I pick it up.
I'm not sure on this as don't use any of those things but I know people have gone to Autotemp.
How did Shadow do on the 3M? They did mine and my wife's window tint.
__________________
Certified High Performance Driving Instructor - BMW of North America, Porsche Club of America / Chief In-Vehicle Instructor - Fleet Safety International
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Jimmer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #525
M3NOLA
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 AW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
I've been working so much I haven't really had a chance to give the 3M installation a close inspection. When I picked it up it was dusk outside but everything seemed to look good and I haven't driven my car since. I had a full hood wrap so there a no lines. The only place where I don't like the way it looks is just in front of the rear wheel where they put a small strip which cuts across the body panel and is very noticeable. I'll keep that strip on for the winter but will likely pull it off next summer. The cost was $1,300 which I think is in line for a full front wrap including bumper, mirrors, full hood, part of the rockers and some other small strips in key areas. Apparently the guy who installed it used to be CEO of XPEL which designs the computer cutout patterns for the 3M material. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and will feel much better driving on the interstate and up in the mountains this winter.
__________________
1982 MB 300D--->2002 Ford Mustang 5MT--->2009 E92 M3 6MT
M3NOLA is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #526
3s-a-charm
Major
 
3s-a-charm's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E70 X5 3.5i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 1,143
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NOLA View Post
I've been working so much I haven't really had a chance to give the 3M installation a close inspection. When I picked it up it was dusk outside but everything seemed to look good and I haven't driven my car since. I had a full hood wrap so there a no lines. The only place where I don't like the way it looks is just in front of the rear wheel where they put a small strip which cuts across the body panel and is very noticeable. I'll keep that strip on for the winter but will likely pull it off next summer. The cost was $1,300 which I think is in line for a full front wrap including bumper, mirrors, full hood, part of the rockers and some other small strips in key areas. Apparently the guy who installed it used to be CEO of XPEL which designs the computer cutout patterns for the 3M material. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and will feel much better driving on the interstate and up in the mountains this winter.
Boy... tough times - CEO to Installer!
__________________

13 X5 xDrive 35i M-Sport Black/Oyster (Hers)
07 X5 4.8i Sport Black/Black (Winter/DD)
03.5 M3 Cabriolet Steel Grey on Black (Summer Fun)
PAST: 08 E92 M3, 08 535xiT, 06 E90 325i, 87 E30 325i, 85 E30 318i
3s-a-charm is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #527
volinder
Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw wannabe
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: calgary

Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)

Well Guys,

Its been fun. I sold the M3 today purchased my new vehicle, 2011 BMW 550i. Thanks for the great times, some awesome members on here. I'll probably make it out to a meet sometime.

Volinder
__________________
2008 E93 M3 6MT, White/Bamboo SOLD!!!
2011 F10 550i Sold
2012 750Li Sold
2013 M5 6 speed
volinder is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #528
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volinder View Post
Well Guys,

Its been fun. I sold the M3 today purchased my new vehicle, 2011 BMW 550i. Thanks for the great times, some awesome members on here. I'll probably make it out to a meet sometime.

Volinder
I hope you don't take a killing on that 550i when you lust after the new M5 that will be out soon.

Is the new owner of the M3 driving it back east or transporting it?

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
TailHappyM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST