BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

no direct injection?

Looking at the diagrams, it looks like there is not direct injection on the new M3 mill... curious about that... seems strange with the rumoured 12:1 compression! the injector is definatley located right in front of the intake port just downstream of the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Looking at the diagrams, it looks like there is not direct injection on the new M3 mill... curious about that... seems strange with the rumoured 12:1 compression! the injector is definatley located right in front of the intake port just downstream of the throttle body.
12:1 is childs play. If it had HPI it would be 14.2:1 like the N53.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
12:1 is childs play. If it had HPI it would be 14.2:1 like the N53.
which engine is the N53 again? I know the N52 is valvetronic and naturally aspirated. N54 is the engine in the 335i. What is N53?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
184
Rep
13,842
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
which engine is the N53 again? I know the N52 is valvetronic and naturally aspirated. N54 is the engine in the 335i. What is N53?
N53 is the direct injected (HPI in BMW parlance) natuarlly aspirated I6. It starts shipping right about now I believe (March model changed) in the E93 and E93 330i, but only in countries with clean enough fuel (i.e not North America). In its first iteration it makes the same power as the highest output N52 (272hp), but with much greater fuel economy (I think 15% or so).
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

awesome. I can't wait 'til we get nice clean fuel here along with these new HPI power plants!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Greeney
Brigadier General
Greeney's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
3,809
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez E90 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Westchester, NY / Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to Greeney Send a message via MSN to Greeney Send a message via Skype™ to Greeney
Dont the 330s make 255bhp?
__________________
11' E90 M3 6MT | Jerez Black | Black Ext./Carbon | ZCP | ZCW | ZPP | ZTP | 302 | 403 | 507 | 5AC | 655 | 6FL | 752 |
15' F80 M3 6MT | Black Saphire | Black Full | ZEC | ZLP | 2VF | 2VZ | 5DL | 688 |
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Mii
First Lieutenant
Mii's Avatar
42
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
N53 is the direct injected (HPI in BMW parlance) natuarlly aspirated I6. It starts shipping right about now I believe (March model changed) in the E93 and E93 330i, but only in countries with clean enough fuel (i.e not North America). In its first iteration it makes the same power as the highest output N52 (272hp), but with much greater fuel economy (I think 15% or so).
Interesting to know. Hopefully, the 2008 MY and on will take advantage of HPI.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST