BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

INDustry distribution

08-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
TTBear
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 LP560, '14 M235i, '12 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
I was SO upset as I was asked to instruct this event but was already booked with another track event. Should be fun!
Damn - that is unfortunate, no doubt. Is that your 360 Spyder? Beautiful. I'll keep everyone posted, and try to take pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Using GPS (in my case separate units - a Garmin, a Coyote, and the GPS in my Blackberry...all reading identically once they "settled"), I've found the top end of a 2009 M3 with DCT to be between 261-268km/h...meaning that on different stretches of autobahns there was some variation. If you have the M-Driver package that is available only on European-spec M3s, the limiter is raised to 280km/h.

The M3 tire pressures provide two ranges for speeds below/above 100mph(160kmh), but if the car is not heavily loaded, I believe the pressures are the same regardless (35psi/36psi), but most folks would likely advise to add some additional air for extended high speed runs even if with a light load.

Compared to some other cars I've driven regularly on the autobahn, the M3 feels a bit light at over 140mph; that said, its quite stable and easy to modulate the breaking from that speed (ie not much need to counteract side/side motion etc). I find it easier to drive at these speeds with EDC set to normal. Sport setting makes the car feel more nervous -- whether that is true in fact, ie if I had to brake/avoid something I cannot say for sure. Comfort setting also felt a bit too loose.

I've been curious about whether the larger lip spolier that you can buy now from M Performance would address some of this (in my case perceived) lightness of being at speed.
Thanks - great info. My car has no limiter, so I am curious as to what exactly terminal velocity will be

Rules and regulations state that your trunk must be empty for your run, I now discover, so I guess "ballast" is out. I have been up to an indicated 284, and it was an entirely benign event - very stable.

This is going to be fun, methinks

2009 DCT M3 in Azurite - gone, but not forgotten....
TTBear is offline   Canada
      08-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #24
calintexas
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
Using GPS (in my case separate units - a Garmin, a Coyote, and the GPS in my Blackberry...all reading identically once they "settled"), I've found the top end of a 2009 M3 with DCT to be between 261-268km/h...meaning that on different stretches of autobahns there was some variation. If you have the M-Driver package that is available only on European-spec M3s, the limiter is raised to 280km/h.

The M3 tire pressures provide two ranges for speeds below/above 100mph(160kmh), but if the car is not heavily loaded, I believe the pressures are the same regardless (35psi/36psi), but most folks would likely advise to add some additional air for extended high speed runs even if with a light load.

Compared to some other cars I've driven regularly on the autobahn, the M3 feels a bit light at over 140mph; that said, its quite stable and easy to modulate the breaking from that speed (ie not much need to counteract side/side motion etc). I find it easier to drive at these speeds with EDC set to normal. Sport setting makes the car feel more nervous -- whether that is true in fact, ie if I had to brake/avoid something I cannot say for sure. Comfort setting also felt a bit too loose.

I've been curious about whether the larger lip spoiler that you can buy now from M Performance would address some of this (in my case perceived) lightness of being at speed.
Good info. The speed difference is unexpected (162 mph - 166.5 mph). I'm looking forward to TTBear's electronc speed trap results.
      08-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
TTBear
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 LP560, '14 M235i, '12 X6M

Hi, all.

I just got back from Race the Base yesterday.

I trapped 294kph, but there was not enough runway to achieve VMax, as I suspected.

By the way, anyone who uses the speedometer to gauge their Vmax, is out to lunch. It reads AT LEAST ten percent optimistically. (My 294kph run read 330 on the speedo!!).
A practice run on Friday that read 299kph on the speedo, was only 271kph (and, interestingly, 282kph on a GPS unit I was running in the car).

The car felt absolutely, effortlessly, stable. I could have steered with two fingers. The instructor (required for practice runs) even commented on how it felt more stable than most of the cars he had been out in.

The moral of the story? Speedo is WAY out. Not even worth trying to gauge your top speed from it, I think.

I as using the stock OEM 19" wheels/tires, brand new Michelin PS2s.

I am quite certain the car would have easily gone over 300kph (REAL kph), given enough distance - the runway was 2.4 miles long, which included a (generous) braking zone.

I'll post up some pics this week. The event was AMAZING. Name a supercar, almost, and it was there. Notable absences: Veyron, Ferrari 599.... I'll think of others, I'm sure.

Fastest car was a highly modified Ferrari Enzo, I believe. There were high hopes for a Saleen S7, but he blew his engine.... I wouldn't like to be getting the repair bill for THAT one.
Lots of twin turbo Gallardos with 1000hp+. They didn't actually post up the speeds, which I found strange. They chose to email the competitors with their speeds individually.

There were several cars there that still had speed limiters on them (including a new Mercedes SLS, driven by a woman whose husband entered a lime green twin turbo Muircielago.... wow) - I kinda wondered why they bothered? It would be NO FUN coming down the runway bouncing off your limiter at 250kph...

What an amazing event. I'm glad I went, even if I was FAR from the fastest.

2009 DCT M3 in Azurite - gone, but not forgotten....
TTBear is offline   Canada
      08-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
immiketoo
Colonel

Drives: Smoothly

When I saw this thread I thought you meant this
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.