BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
M3Speeder
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

No spare tire

Does it concern anybody that the car has no spare tire?
Had to have my car towed twice this year because or blown tire. No provied mobility kit helped. In both cases tire was blown to pieces. Last time it happened 250 miles from the nearest BMW dealer, that was not friendly at all BTW.
Was considering C63 (that has spare tire) but did not like the transmission and traction control and decided to get M3.
M3Speeder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,454
iTrader: (18)

It's an issue especially on long trips. Looks like you've had unusually bad luck--I'm at 12K miles w/o a flat.

Here's a useful thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253769
Finnegan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
M3Speeder
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the link.
Talking about bad luck. I've been driving cars with spare tires for over 15 years and never had blown tire. Got myslef an M3 and what else I've got as a bonus - 2 blown tires in a year of car ownership. Talk about luck...
M3Speeder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It's an issue especially on long trips. Looks like you've had unusually bad luck--I'm at 12K miles w/o a flat.

Here's a useful thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253769
I bought an M3 recently, and used this referenced thread to order the X6 wheel from my dealer. Bought a Bridgestone 145/70-18 temporary spare from TireRack, and it all worked great. The 145/70 tire is very close to the OD of the OE rear tire, so it should be fine for limited miles in emergency use. I use couple of heavy duty bungie cords to hold it in place in the trunk.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

wut's the tire kit in the trunk then?

never really looked at it, just saw there is one
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
calintexas
Major
 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Bridgestone 145/70-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I bought an M3 recently, and used this referenced thread to order the X6 wheel from my dealer. Bought a Bridgestone 145/70-18 temporary spare from TireRack, and it all worked great. The 145/70 tire is very close to the OD of the OE rear tire, so it should be fine for limited miles in emergency use. I use couple of heavy duty bungie cords to hold it in place in the trunk.
How much did you pay for the Bridgestone 145/70-18 tire? Did you just call The Tire Rack and ask if they had it (or could get it)?
__________________
calintexas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
How much did you pay for the Bridgestone 145/70-18 tire? Did you just call The Tire Rack and ask if they had it (or could get it)?
These Temporary tires are hard to find, and expensive. TireRack does not list it online, just call and ask. I think I paid about $250, not cheap.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
calintexas
Major
 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
These Temporary tires are hard to find, and expensive. TireRack does not list it online, just call and ask. I think I paid about $250, not cheap.
Thanks - that's in the price range I've heard for that tire. Most of us have bought the 135/70 Maxxis which isn't as good a fit, but is under $100. I was hoping that you had gotten a lower price on the Bridgestone
__________________
calintexas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,454
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
These Temporary tires are hard to find, and expensive. TireRack does not list it online, just call and ask. I think I paid about $250, not cheap.
No, not cheap but then that's all relative to where you are when you loose a tire. If it's in BFE, 250 is going to hella cheap!
Finnegan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Murderface
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

So once you get the spare tire I assume you have to come up with a jack and tire iron as well? I was toying with the idea of getting a full size spare to keep in the trunk on long road trips since I frequently drive through the middle of nowhere West Texas and it would be comforting to know that I don't have to wait for AAA or worse, hitch a ride with some oilfield trucker.
Murderface is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
calintexas
Major
 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Jack Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
So once you get the spare tire I assume you have to come up with a jack and tire iron as well? I was toying with the idea of getting a full size spare to keep in the trunk on long road trips since I frequently drive through the middle of nowhere West Texas and it would be comforting to know that I don't have to wait for AAA or worse, hitch a ride with some oilfield trucker.
The thread below has several jack options. As far as the wrench, I just bought Craftsman 17" long 1/2" drive breaker bar, 6" extension, and socket. Easy to carry around, and you'll never have an issue getting a wheel nut loose.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=jack
__________________
calintexas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
So once you get the spare tire I assume you have to come up with a jack and tire iron as well? I was toying with the idea of getting a full size spare to keep in the trunk on long road trips since I frequently drive through the middle of nowhere West Texas and it would be comforting to know that I don't have to wait for AAA or worse, hitch a ride with some oilfield trucker.
I bought a compact jack kit from BMW. It is a small scissors jack that comes with a non-adjustable torque wrench, so tightening the lug bolts uniformly is easy. It also has a collapsible chock to support the car. I throw in a pair of gloves and a couple of other small tools, works great.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST