BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

E92-lighting

08-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
yvl

Drives: '06 e46 M3 Conv

Safe Lease / Wear & Tear insurance

So I turned in my e46 this week end.

To my untrained eye, the car looked pretty flawless, except for some minor curb rash on the rims. But by the time the inspector was done with it, he wrote me up for 3k of damage: scratches/scuffing underneath the front bumper and both skirts (you literally needed to lay flat on the ground to see it), scratches on the rear quarter panels (barely perceptible, nothing like getting keyed), scratches on the door handles, stitching coming undone on driver seats, rim scuffing, etc...

I had safe lease so thankfully I wasn't out of pocket any $ (and didn't need to throw a fit). This was my first lease (I financed my '02 m3 prior to this '06), so now I am worried about not getting safe lease on my new '11 e93. Living and driving mostly in LA, these seem to be somewhat unavoidable over the years.

Do you guys think the inspector wrote up all these charges precisely because I had safe lease and could offset some of the car's reconditioning costs?

What have been your experiences turning in leases, with or without an excessive wear and tear insurance? What are you usually out of pocket if you don't have the insurance?

My ED is in customs now so I could still add it on...
      08-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Sure sounds like it! We turned in my wife's X5 back in May and the guy took all of 30 seconds to do a walk around the outside and a quick glance inside. There is a guide we were sent near the end of lease showing what sizes scratches, door dings etc were considered "normal wear and tear" and if they were larger, we would be charged. It included a template with concentric circles for you to see the sizes. We were not charges anything for curb rash, door dings and some very minor surface scratches (just in the clear coat really)...
kscarrol is offline   United_States
      08-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Ty Vil
Captain

Drives: 2013 ///M3

Add safe lease; you rarely lose with it.
Ty Vil is offline   United_States