BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Comet
Troll Harder
Comet's Avatar
Lebanon
73
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Beirut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
PhD in Pictures

Quote:
Every fall, I explain to a fresh batch of Ph.D. students what a Ph.D. is.

It's hard to describe it in words.

So, I use pictures.

Read below for the illustrated guide to a Ph.D.
http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/

__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Maestro
Captain
44
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

That is a good one, especially the last picture, which if keep it perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
escobar929's Avatar
53
Rep
4,309
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
so true
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Bimmer Nerd
I | L Photography
Bimmer Nerd's Avatar
Georgia
113
Rep
7,538
Posts

 
Drives: on the track
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los angeles, ~818~ | San Diego, La Jolla

iTrader: (11)

That's sick !
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
r53s65e90
8300
r53s65e90's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Very good explanation of one aspect of the Ph.D.: knowledge

He left out: effort, mentality, perseverance, creativity... to name a few.

If you have a Ph.D. you "get it" but you cannot really describe it. If you don't you will never "get it".
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
If you don't you will never "get it".
no
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
171
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post

He left out: effort, mentality, perseverance, creativity... to name a few.

If you have a Ph.D. you "get it" but you cannot really describe it. If you don't you will never "get it".
I hope you don't think these traits you listed are exclusive only to those with PhD's...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
r53s65e90
8300
r53s65e90's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I hope you don't think these traits you listed are exclusive only to those with PhD's...
The only thing exlusive to PhDs is the Ph.D. degree.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
209
Rep
8,388
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

iTrader: (8)

I have a Ph.D. too- pretty huge d*ck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Dan in PA
Captain
Dan in PA's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
730
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post

If you have a Ph.D. you "get it" but you cannot really describe it. If you don't you will never "get it".



After you made such a statement, it's difficult for me to believe you have a Ph.D.
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
171
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I have a Ph.D. too- pretty huge d*ck!!
x2
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
44
Rep
3,594
Posts

 
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I thought MS stood for More fo the Same and PhD was Piled Higher and Deeper.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe 6 MT Black Saphire Metallic PP SP Heated M Seats Clutch Stop Stubby
2008 R6 Raven Black GPR Steering Stabilizer Comp Werks FE Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2008 Nissan Titan XE King Cab Long Bed 4x4 Line-X
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
wj4
Major General
United_States
119
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I thought MS stood for More fo the Same and PhD was Piled Higher and Deeper.
What if one doesn't have an MS, but rather an MA?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Seminole
Colonel
Seminole's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
2,032
Posts

 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977 N, 77.0366 W

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
I just graduated last weekend with my M.S. and while I was sitting in my seat during the ceremony I started to read through the commencement book to kill time. I'll post up some of the awesome title's that people had for dissertation papers, but the best one was someone who got their Ph.D. in creative writing and their dissertation was titled "Monster Truck Seduction."

Someone else's was "Like This."
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
134
Rep
11,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
definitely funny... but there's a lot of interesting things worth pursuing and that PhD work can make a big difference.

one of my friends is working at Stanford helping to develop a treatment to allow females undergoing chemotherapy to retain their fertility by grafting follicle tissue onto a immunocompromised mice host. after chemo treatment, they can take those follicles out and re-implant them into the ovary and thus retain the individual's fertility.

that bit of research, might be a small dent in the bigger picture, but it is definitely worth pursuing... and the pictures leave out the impact a small dent can create
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
171
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
definitely funny... but there's a lot of interesting things worth pursuing and that PhD work can make a big difference.

one of my friends is working at Stanford helping to develop a treatment to allow females undergoing chemotherapy to retain their fertility by grafting follicle tissue onto a immunocompromised mice host. after chemo treatment, they can take those follicles out and re-implant them into the ovary and thus retain the individual's fertility.

that bit of research, might be a small dent in the bigger picture, but it is definitely worth pursuing... and the pictures leave out the impact a small dent can create
I don't think anyone is arguing that PhDs are without merit and not worth pursuing, they definitely exist for a reason, a very good one at that. I do however agree that many of us, when so engrossed within a particular subject, are more prone to view that subject from an "end all be all" perspective, when in fact there are potentially many more "big picture" type considerations that can fail to be made.

A simple example, perhaps, is people being so focused on "reducing their carbon footprint" and "saving the planet" or what have you going out and buying hybrids - without considering all of the pollution created in the manufacturing process of their hybrid, and the "demand" signal they are sending to the manufacturer to continue this pollution creating process by showing that they will buy these types of products. The small focus is "achieved" in the eye of the hybrid driver, but the bigger picture is that the world would have been impacted less from a pollution standpoint had they just kept driving whatever it was they already had - a " sunk cost" if you will
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
MCMLXXXIX
wat
MCMLXXXIX's Avatar
53
Rep
3,410
Posts

 
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oct 2008

iTrader: (0)

I found that a bit inspiring...
__________________

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
134
Rep
11,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that PhDs are without merit and not worth pursuing, they definitely exist for a reason, a very good one at that. I do however agree that many of us, when so engrossed within a particular subject, are more prone to view that subject from an "end all be all" perspective, when in fact there are potentially many more "big picture" type considerations that can fail to be made.

A simple example, perhaps, is people being so focused on "reducing their carbon footprint" and "saving the planet" or what have you going out and buying hybrids - without considering all of the pollution created in the manufacturing process of their hybrid, and the "demand" signal they are sending to the manufacturer to continue this pollution creating process by showing that they will buy these types of products. The small focus is "achieved" in the eye of the hybrid driver, but the bigger picture is that the world would have been impacted less from a pollution standpoint had they just kept driving whatever it was they already had - a " sunk cost" if you will
lol im just adding to the conversation. & did you read that yahoo article about treehuggers who aren't really tree huggers? ie. the people who drive priuses and preach about saving the planet, but they're using plastic bags at supermarkets instead of those reusable bags.
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
BTM
Banned
United_States
171
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
lol im just adding to the conversation. & did you read that yahoo article about treehuggers who aren't really tree huggers? ie. the people who drive priuses and preach about saving the planet, but they're using plastic bags at supermarkets instead of those reusable bags.
Haha yea - I'd say the majority of these Jeremy Clarkson dubbed "Ecomentalists" fall into this "when it's convenient" camp

Now my mom on the other hand is more hardcore than most - she had our property certified as a natural wildlife habitat, grows an organic garden and greenhouse, has a 30 or so gallon composting thing, has been using reusable shopping bags for since the 90s, runs the "environmental club" at her high school where she teaches at end even introduced "environmental science" class into the curriculum and not even she drives a hybrid because she's on top of things enough (thanks to me in this case) to know that in Germany the Mercedes S550 was certified a low emissions vehicle based upon use of recycled materials and clean manufacturing processes while the Prius was denied for a lack thereof.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
gary88's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
7,992
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
So PhD = red rocket?
__________________

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST